Airhead Ride Last Weekend

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Airhead Ride Last Weekend

Postby dadsabiker » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:18 am

I ended up riding my 90/6 solo last Saturday, which left me wide open to improvise, which is a very good thing. :D After heading south out of Cumberland through Oldtown and Paw Paw, then into Virginia via Route 127, I ended up in Winchester for breakfast. Once I refueled (both me and the bike), it was on to the little town of White Post to visit my favorite car restoration shop, White Post Restorations. ImageThe owner, Billy, ended up being in his office despite the fact that they are closed on Saturday. To say he was hospitable is an understatement. He invited me in, talked to me at length about his business and clients. This is one energetic 71 year old man who has forgotten more about cars and people then most people will ever know. After about 1/2 hour with Billy, I departed south along whatever the little country road is that runs through the heart of White Post.Image

About another 1/2 hour out of White Post and I was rejoined to Route 522 heading south towards Front Royal. Once through Front Royal, I picked up 340 South towards Luray stopping at the beautiful Shenedoah State Park. The gate attendant was kind enough to waive the $4.00 entrance fee once I explained that I only wanted to ride through the park and take a few pictures.ImageImage

It was onto (and through) Luray. Of course, I couldn't skip the great switchbacks of Route 340 South/West, so I decided on New Market as my lunch destination. For those that like Mexican food, it was hard to beat this $7.00 lunch, and all of it compatible with my low-carb diet!ImageImage

As the hour was getting late and I was still 2 hours plus out of Cumberland, I decided to start heading back home. There are few better routes home then heading through Timberville to Broadway then north on Route 259. Unfortunately, mother nature had other plans, as I saw a good size thunderstorm just lurking to the west of me. I decided on a straight north route on 11 through Woodstock on to Winchester instead. This ended up being a better choice (at least weather-wise) as I dodged all but the lightest rain showers, getting me only refreshingly wet, but not drenched.

In closing it was a great day of riding. I will leave with one final shot and let you all try to guess where it was taken. Image
dadsabiker

Re: Airhead Ride Last Weekend

Postby Maria V » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:59 am

Nice report and pics. No idea on the flag location.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby RJP3579 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:08 pm

dadsabiker wrote:In closing it was a great day of riding. I will leave with one final shot and let you all try to guess where it was taken.

On top of a hill? Do I win??
Rick :rider:
RJP3579
Are you not entertained?

Postby dadsabiker » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Yes, you are right.....kinda. :lol:

Won't say just yet where it is. With all of the enthusiasts on this forum, somebody's going to guess this.
dadsabiker

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:02 pm

dadsabiker wrote:

Won't say just yet where it is. With all of the enthusiasts on this forum, somebody's going to guess this.

I can't think of the name, but that is in the park in WV near Senica Rocks. RocketMan goes there once in a while, and I have been there. I heard they paved a lot of it a few years ago.

Jim :brow

PS Jalisca is also in Fairfax and Front Royal. Decent food!
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby dadsabiker » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:31 pm

I can't think of the name, but that is in the park in WV near Senica Rocks. RocketMan goes there once in a while, and I have been there. I heard they paved a lot of it a few years ago.

Well, there's no fooling you, Jim. You know all of these roads just a little bit too well. :D ...... But, you're wrong on your guess. #-o It's well over 80 miles from Seneca Rocks.

Good to know about the restaurant; first time I have ever been-looked like the most inviting place in New Market and the $6.95 posted special was hard to beat!
dadsabiker

Postby RocketMan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:49 am

JimVonBaden wrote:
dadsabiker wrote:

are you thinking of Smoke Hole Road perhaps?

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:30 am

RocketMan wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
dadsabiker wrote:

RM

That's it!

JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby dadsabiker » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:53 am

The answer to my previous riddle is westbound on Route 144 1/2 way between Town Hill Bed and Breakfast/overlook and Flintstone, MD. The bike is pointed westbound in the picture and actually on one of the few wide shoulders to be found on this road. Yes, and it is "on top of a hill".
dadsabiker

Postby RocketMan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:19 am

JimVonBaden wrote:
RocketMan wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
dadsabiker wrote:

RM

That's it!

yeah, thats where the small private campground is that I want to check out. Riverfront property, pretty primative, but not crowded from what my friend from WV told me.
Would you believe I've never actually ridden that road as of yet? :?:

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories