Monday Morning Ride, Trying to avoid the Hottest part of the

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Monday Morning Ride, Trying to avoid the Hottest part of the

Postby RocketMan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:11 am

Even though it was supposed to get really Hot today, I decided to get in a few miles on the airhead during the cooler morning hours. The plan was to stay fairly close to home and explore some of the country roads between home (Woodbridge) and Culpepper Va.
Headed out as usual along Arden Road down to 28 then south to 806 that looked like it might be fun. That took me into Remington Va. Nice little railroad town. Some of the photos are duplicates because I processed some using both my normal photoshop workflow using the best of the bracketed shots and some are ones I ran thru an HDR photo process. Can you tell which are which? I am discovering that while HDR can add to a photo there are times when it doesn’t work that well or can even detract from the impact of the image, partly because its so easy to overdo it, esp. the color enhancement aspect. Like any tool it has to be used appropriately or creates as less than desirable effect/end product.

First a few views along Rt. 806

After getting to Rt. 17 I headed south a bit to Rt. 651 (turns out I could have gone straight across 17 and intersected 651 but chose to head down 17 instead). Heading more or less north and bit west on Rt. 561 I came into to the town of Remington after passing thru some more lovely farm country and a section of forested area. I have never been thru here before, nice little town. Entering the town from the side that ran along the railroad and just I crossed the tracks I stopped for a few photos. I also saw what could be an interesting place on the main street called the Corner Deli to try for a lunch or breakfast ride sometime.

The sign said this was a railroad museum, but looked closed up to me.

The view looking into town toward the main street (business 15/29)

A kool old building… note that I used photoshop to change the perspective using the vertical tilt tool. The color in the first one is more true to life than the second HDR rendered image.

Saw this on the side of an old dilapidated building along the tracks just opposite the Museum. Someone’s (rather humorous) attempt to bring a little color and brighten up an otherwise rather sad old building. I liked the contrast of a planted flower garden mixed in with an old plastic barrel, a discarded tin can and railroad spike on the ledge above it.

A view of an old home in town

Then I headed down along 29/15 and saw these two old barns.

In this detail of the one above you can see the older barn to the right almost completely covered it ivy and growth, I liked the contrast between that and newer white one.

When I got to Culpepper I headed north on 229 to Rt. 802. This last set of photos are along Rt. 802 as I headed into Warrenton from the south.
An interesting collection of old farm structures framed by an opening in the tree line where the road let up to them.

A nice old church, I liked the green accent against the white building

A detail of the door way, nice old hardwood door with brass handle.

Across the street was the old church with the remains of an old cemetery with just a few markers still left.

As I headed into Warrenton I came in thru the historic district thru a section I have not explored. For several blocks the road ran past some truly amazing homes. With the road being somewhat below all the homes that sat up on hills overlooking the street, it was almost oppressive, I mean these homes were Huge, not just old and stately, but rather as if riding along an avenue of Mansions or estates, not just one or two scattered among more sedate structures but the entire two blocks was lined with Estate after Estate. Wow! Definitely going to have to go back and walk that street and take the long lens and Nikon to due justice to that street. The street name is Clupepper St. between 17/29 and West Franklin St.
By now though it was getting on to 1 PM and HOT so headed home back along 605 and Arden Road.

Nice ride, 150 miles over about a 3 and half hour ride and once again I was reminded just what a truly amazing machine my old R100 is! I am convinced that the R100 motor represents the Best of the Best of all the motors BMW ever made. For me it is the epitome of motorcycling that incorporates the perfect balance of power, weight and economy of design. While there are certainly other more capable motors/machines designed for any number of purposes, be it power, speed, handling, off-roading, racing, etc., when all is said and done there is just no other design that can match the R100 airheads or certainly outlive them. I suspect (that taken in total for all ever produced) they hold the record for miles traveled, years of service and dead on reliably and will do so for many, many more years to come. While I love my little Honda, it will never replace my airhead: Yeah, I’m diehard Airhead, so sue me already! Ha Ha!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: Monday Morning Ride, Trying to avoid the Hottest part of

Postby Rick F. » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:01 pm

RM,

Nice HDR pic's! I'm getting spoiled by HDR; now regular photos look too plain--which is a shame, since HDR takes a fair amount of work to customize and process. However, the results are definitely worth it (IMHO).

Your first shot was interesting, since the farm house and other buildings looked abandoned, but there was a nice, orderly Wall o' Straw alongside, suggesting that it's still a working farm.

And I wondered if the white barn was really a sundial of some kind...

Thanks for posting.

Rick F.

PS: Nice panoramic shot, too. With all the heat, I'm amazed that you could take all those pictures in a giant circle without becoming terminally dizzy.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Re: Monday Morning Ride, Trying to avoid the Hottest part of

Postby RocketMan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:24 am

Rick F. wrote:RM,

Nice HDR pic's! I'm getting spoiled by HDR; now regular photos look too plain--which is a shame, since HDR takes a fair amount of work to customize and process. However, the results are definitely worth it (IMHO).

Your first shot was interesting, since the farm house and other buildings looked abandoned, but there was a nice, orderly Wall o' Straw alongside, suggesting that it's still a working farm.

And I wondered if the white barn was really a sundial of some kind...

Thanks for posting.

Rick F.

PS: Nice panoramic shot, too. With all the heat, I'm amazed that you could take all those pictures in a giant circle without becoming terminally dizzy.

thanks!

the house may be no longer lived in but it is a working farm for sure as I went down 806 the following week (last friday) to collect Ali, the mascot for the NOVA tag game on ADV and the straw was now covered up to protect it. What I found interesting too, was that I have never seen straw piled like that before that I can remember, usually you see it in rolls. The pano's were done using a tripod and it was still fairly cool up there when I took them. I still had on my liner for my mesh, Reddish Knob is 4300 feet where the parking area is.
RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories