10 hours 400 miles Reddish Knob and beyond.

Tell Us About Your Rides!

10 hours 400 miles Reddish Knob and beyond.

Postby RocketMan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:29 pm

NOW WITH UPDATED PHOTOS

So looking at some of the attempts to tone-map the pictures I took with the G9 I wasn’t real pleased with them. Since the G9 does not have a bracketing setting I had to adjust it manually while hand holding it and that caused some problems with alignment of the images so I took the best of each three and ran it thru my normal photoshop work flow instead. Much better results and I often bracket my shops even before discovering HDR so my normal workflow seems to work better for the G9 images. The other tone-mapped images were taken with my Pen which has bracketing setting and can shot the series very quickly with just one shutter release so there is very little movement between exposures.

You all missed out on a great ride, cool temps and no humidity, very little traffic and oddly not many bikes out there that I saw, but then I was on some pretty back country roads that big cruisers would probably not much care for… all the better for me!

Starting out, one of my favorite views as I head toward WV along Arden Rd just before coming to 28.

A view of the mountains as I approach in Rt .211, its rare that the view of them is this clear from this distance, usually they are a blueish-grey and indistinct in the heat of the day.

Heading up the mountain to Reddish Knob at bit before the road gets really narrow

The damn pothole that got me a few months ago on the airhead, see told ya all it was BIG!

Now the road gets really narrow as it becomes Forest Service Road 85, but still paved….

A view from the top with the moon (just barely visiable in mid-center) hanging over the mountains Fantastic views today with the cool weather and little to no moisture in the air

A few more views

And a link to the pano I took which was the main goal of getting up here today while the weather was cool and clear.

http://roadrunes.com/photo/main.php?g2_ ... emId=62429

After taking my photos on the top of the knob I headed back down to 275 and back up to 33 where I headed west over the Shenandoah Mountain to find Rt. 3 north to Milam.

Along the way I found I nice pond that just begged to be photographed.

The road along side of the pond, Nice pavement, they have been repaving Rt. And Rt. 7 and its now much improved since a years ago.

Some small wildflowers growing near by,

One final view of the pond and then on up 7 to 55 east to find state route 23/10 south..

Further along RT 7 a nice farm view…

When I got into Moorefield where 7 intersects 55 I headed east along the Old Route 55 to Baker and then on to Wardensville where I saw this nice old house, love the detail around the cornice

In Wardensville I picked up 23/10 south that goes back into the Geo Wash. National forest and takes you over another mountain to become Rt. 675 Wolfgap Rd as you cross back into Va. It starts out two lane marked but quickly turns into a nice one and half lane unmarked road through dense forest..

By now it was getting on into the afternoon so when I got to 623, Back Rd I headed north once more to 55 and then on to 66 until I got tired of the slab and took 17 south to Arlie and Rt. 605 and home.

10 hours and 400 miles, one gas stop and one for a quick drink and most of the rest just riding, ecpt for the stops for photos. When I stopped for gas after 176 miles I took only 2.4 gallons, that IT sure is some thrifty machine! Oddly enough I had thought I’d be finding some new roads with my planned trip route, but it turns out I’ve been down 3 7 and 23/10 and 623 before as I began to recognize some of the views along the way! Not that it made any other them any less fun. Passed Perry Wildlife Zoo on Wolf Gap Road and thought of stopping in but having read up on it they seem to treat their animals pretty poorly and were even closed down once, so they ain’t getting my money!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: 10 hours 400 miles Reddish Knob and beyond.

Postby Rick F. » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:54 pm

RM,

Sounds (and looks) like a fun ride. That forest service road got so narrow that I would have expected it to just disappear altogether at some point. That's one of the great things about a motorcycle, however: almost no road/path gets too narrow.

Thanks for the pic's and report.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories