A Lost River & Seneca Rocks

Tell Us About Your Rides!

A Lost River & Seneca Rocks

Postby Rick F. » Sun May 16, 2010 7:07 pm

With a hellish work schedule of late, I was more than ready to escape for a day of backroads exploration. On Sunday, May 9, I opted for the "Seneca Rocks" route from Motorcycle Journeys through the Appalachians (second edition) by Dale Coyner. Dale's recommendations have never disappointed in the past—and this one was no exception. The tour started in Front Royal, Virginia and wound west and south through parts of West Virginia to Seneca Rocks (naturally) and then east to Harrisonburg, VA before heading back north to end in Front Royal.

I'd journeyed to Front Royal on various occasions (see Stonewall's Valley, for example), but I'd never noticed this stately home along Route 340 before.

Route 55 west of Front Royal is a beautiful—but potentially confusing—road. Just a few years ago, West Virginia built a nice interstate highway in this general vicinity and chose to call it Route 55. I remember ending up on this highway with Neil Peart and Michael Mosbach in 2007, to their complete bafflement. Thankfully, the old road is still there, and it's generally called "Old WV 55." Very clever.

Anyway, the old road winds along on its way to Seneca Rocks and offers this view of the North Fork of my old friend the Shennandoah River, with a frail-looking Nofolk Southern railroad bridge, just shy of Strasburg, VA.

On the other side of Strasburg, I found this interesting project for some enterprising BMWBMW member—presumably Jim Von Baden, since the Opel GT is nearly finished!

Every so often, Old WV 55 would cross under Highway 55. Here, the mighty Z4 sits quietly beneath the towering twin bridges across the Lost River.

The Lost River is quietly famous for winding along peacefully…

…before periodically disappearing underground and out of sight, leaving just a dry and rocky indication that there might have once been a river nearby. I thought I had finally discovered where it disappears, but after further research it proved to be one of the Lost River's disappearing tributaries. Oh well, next time.

Eventually, the Lost River reappears near Wardensville, WV. Back when people were discovering and naming rivers, however, nobody realized that it was the same river. Instead, they named it the Cacapon River. I still prefer to think of them as our ancestors did, as separate rivers. After all, the Lost River had its chance—it could have stayed above-ground if it had really wanted to. Of course, then there wouldn't be a Lost River or maybe even a Cacapon River. Instead there would be something uninteresting, like "Fred's River" all the way to the Potomac.

I parked at the Fort Run post office, general store, and real estate agency to stretch my legs. It was closed, seemingly forever.

The nearby accommodations looked a bit suspect, so I continued on.

Before long, I came to the South Branch of the Potomac River in all its scenic beauty.

I watched this goose for a few moments before realizing that it wasn't standing there stationary because it was hunting something—it was fast asleep.

West Virginia in the springtime is a-flowering and a-budding just everywhere. It's beautiful (but it does make it difficult to find a parking spot).

The last time I'd been through Petersburg, WV, it was on a motorcycle trip in the pouring rain with the Intrepid Buzz (see Return to West Virginia. This time, thankfully, the weather was sunny and clear, if a bit chilly. (Crossing the mountains with the top down, the temperature would decline to only 43º. Next time, I'm bringing the Gerbings heated jacket liner…) Parkersburg was settled in 1745 and featured numerous handsome buildings and homes.

On the west side of town, a couple of hundred feet up a hill, sits what's left of Fort Mulligan. It was built by Union troops in 1863 to help guard the South Branch Valley from the Confederates. It had stockade-style outer walls, and several "bombproofs" inside, which protected the soldiers and ammo from bombardment. The earthen walls of the bombproofs are still visible. Most of the Union expeditions in this area were supplied from Petersburg. Fort Mulligan was evacuated on January 31, 1864 due Gen. Jubal Early's advancing Confederate troops. Early's forces, which had captured 80 Union supply wagons headed for Petersburg, arrived and began a bombardment of Fort Mulligan. They shelled the daylights out of the fort for quite some time before they realized it had been abandoned… The Confederates still managed to salvage a number of cannon and more than 13,000 rounds of rifle ammunition.

Speaking of cannon, Union officer Robert P. Parrott invented the Parrott Rifle, as shown here. This "10-pounder" features the distinctive reinforcement around the breech that Parrott designed to prevent the all-too-common barrel explosions during firing. The Parrott Rifle had a usable range of 2,500 yards and was far more accurate than any of the smooth-bore cannon. Still, it had a nasty habit of exploding just ahead of the reinforced area…

Before long, Old WV 55 entered the Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area, which immediately offered many scenic sights, including this languishing hot rod coupe. (What do you say, John, a 1936 Ford 5-window?)

As you approach Seneca Rocks from the north, you get sort of a preview—namely Champe's Rocks. They're named after Sergeant John Champe, who was sent by George Washington and "Light Horse Harry" Lee (father of Robert E. Lee) to kidnap the traitor Benedict Arnold during the Revolutionary War. Champe faked a desertion from the Continental Army, made his way across enemy lines into New York City, and managed to join Arnold's army of deserters. The plot nearly worked, but ultimately failed when Arnold changed the location of his headquarters. Eventually, Champe escaped and rejoined his old unit. Here are the majestic Champe's Rocks…

…and here is Sergeant Champe, who lived nearby, courtesy of Courier & Ives.

A few miles further on, Seneca Rocks dominate the vista, rising 900 feet above Seneca Creek. The Tuscarora quartzite constituting the "razorback" cliff was formed 440 million years ago, give or take a few weeks. The notch in the middle of the formation used to be filled by an even taller peak, which collapsed in 1987. Remarkably, given the potential instability of the rocks and the litigious and cautious nature of current society, mountain climbing is permitted on Seneca Rocks (and is very popular). There's a visitor center, replaced the one that was burned by an arsonist, which in turn replaced the one that was washed away in a flood. I was afraid to go inside.

I did, however, take a look at this old farmhouse. It wasn't open when I visited, but a look through the window revealed a pretty comfy-looking main living area.

I stopped at Yokum's Vacationland, both for old time's sake and to get a sandwich for lunch. I was pleased to learn that Shirley Yokum was still going strong (enough) at 90. I was also pleased to spot this pair of BMWs in the parking lot.

From the crossroads of Seneca Rocks, I decided to temporarily venture east and visit Seneca Caverns. On the way, I crossed the South Branch of the Potomac again.

While Seneca Caverns didn't have as spectacular formations as Luray, it was nonetheless quite impressive. I enjoyed a leisurely and interesting visit, being the only visitor at 1:00.

The large "Balancing Rock" in the middle of this photo started life attached to the cave ceiling in the upper right. Fortunately, they gave me a plastic "hard hat" to wear on the tour, so I wasn't worried by the possibility of further rockfalls. (They helpfully informed me that there hadn't been an earthquake in the area since December 2008.)

More pictures from the cavern…

…including this little feller, who was just as sound asleep as the goose had been. He measured only about 2 1/2 inches long—and yes, I was really close when I took his picture.

Safely back above ground, I began climbing the mountains on the famous route 33. Many have written about this wonderful road—and I found that they were not exaggerating in the slightest. At the top, I stopped for a picture of Germany Valley, which is quite well known in its own right.

Before long, I crossed back over into Virginia and reached Harrisonburg, home of more Mennonite churches than I'd seen in my entire life up to this point, plus the Eastern Mennonite University. Although it was a beautiful town, I turned left onto route 42 to avoid the bustle of the downtown area and was rewarded with a relaxing trip back north. I particularly liked this house in Forestville.

Continuing my roundtrip back to Strasburg and Front Royal, I spotted an abandoned farm near 42 and Mountain Road that cried out for additional pictures. (At least I think it was abandoned. I did hear some noises in the distance as I hopped a couple of fences and discreetly prowled around…)

My final shot was of the St. John Episcopal Church in Rippon, a few miles south of Charles Town, WV, and the site of much fighting during the Civil War. All churches should have as many interesting and unusual characteristics as this one.

And all days should be as fun as this one was. Overall, it was a long, somewhat chilly, but energizing and exciting day of touring. I retraced some steps that I'd taken previously on the R1200GS and discovered many new ones along the way. And I doffed my hat to Dale Coyner for yet another great ride.

Rick F.
Last edited by Rick F. on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Re: A Lost River & Seneca Rocks

Postby RoadRunner » Sun May 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Rick, great trip and great pictures, I enjoyed going through them and your descriptions are excellent =D> . Thank you. I am definitely considering this ride.
"The greatest victory is not in never falling, but in always rising stronger"

F800ST 2009 Midnight Blue
RoadRunner
Frequent Poster

Postby Flash! » Sun May 16, 2010 8:31 pm

Fantastic, Rick! I sometimes forget what an incredible part of the country we live in, then I read another of your reports.

We attended Rocketman's Festival of Fives last summer, and I took a horseback ride up almost to the top of Seneca Rocks (one could have clambered on up to the very top). The view was great, but I have a more vivid memory of coming DOWN the mountain with the horses slipping and sliding over the loose rocks that made up the trail, miraculously managing to stay upright. :shock:

Thanks for posting!

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby MrE » Sun May 16, 2010 9:22 pm

AWESOME!!! I just saw that airplane today. Kres, one of his buddies, and I went backpacking up on Spruce Knob and Seneca Creek (several miles upstream from where you were). There are some great GS roads up there in the forest service area. Can't wait to get back up there with the bike.

That is some amazing country. Thanks for sharing.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby RocketMan » Mon May 17, 2010 8:42 am

Rick F. wrote:
Before long, Old WV 55 entered the Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area, which immediately offered many scenic sights, including this languishing hot rod coupe. (What do you say, John, a 1936 Ford 5-window?)

Rick F.

Ha Ha! I recently took that same exact shot while out and about on the airhead. Cool old car. here's mine from my spring has sprung report

given that some things have moved about in the two photo's I'm wondering if some one is working on restoring it?

So you didn't find the sink hole, eh? its right around Baker and there used to be a small pull off on Rt. 55 coming down the hill into town according to the quadtrangle map of the area, I've looked for it but its long gone now. the map data was from late 50's.

Nice report as always and even if your beemer wasn't in there, at least you got a few in One of the shots so I'll let you off the hook, This time. I'm actually headed down to Seneca Rocks this weekend to hook up with some folks from ADV and do a little ride with 'em. hopefully the weather will cooperate!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby DogHouse » Mon May 17, 2010 9:45 am

What can I say that I haven't said in your other threads. =D>

05 R1200GS
97 Craftsman 19hp Riding Mower 42" cut
DogHouse
What? Again? Oy

Postby Unity » Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Rick F. wrote:Image

Sorry, Rick, I got behind. Yes, I'd say you've got it right with your '36 Ford coupe identification. The '35 was very similar, and I always used the grille shape to tell them apart.

--John
(I craved the '32-34 5-window coupes, sort of skipped over the '35-38 series, then seriously lusted after '39s and '40s. A '39 Mercury coupe -- the first Mercury year -- would have suited me too. :D )
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Rick F. » Sun May 23, 2010 6:52 pm

RoadRunner wrote:Rick, great trip and great pictures, I enjoyed going through them and your descriptions are excellent =D> . Thank you. I am definitely considering this ride.

RR,

Thanks--I know you'll enjoy it. I can send you the MapSource route, if you have a Garmin GPS.

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun May 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Flash! wrote:Fantastic, Rick! I sometimes forget what an incredible part of the country we live in, then I read another of your reports.

We attended Rocketman's Festival of Fives last summer, and I took a horseback ride up almost to the top of Seneca Rocks (one could have clambered on up to the very top). The view was great, but I have a more vivid memory of coming DOWN the mountain with the horses slipping and sliding over the loose rocks that made up the trail, miraculously managing to stay upright. :shock:

Thanks for posting!

Jody

Jody,

Yes, Virginia (and its nearby neighbors) are great States to tour through.

I'm quite impressed that you rode a horse (almost) to the top of Seneca Rocks. Your description of the trip down reminds me of the last time I rode, which was in Dartmoor, England, in 1984. My horse was both lazy and clumsy. To get him started, I had to kick the daylights out of him. I felt bad about it, but otherwise he was content to just stand there! Riding across the moors was spectacular, but our guide took a shortcut back to the stable on the way back, which involved a steep, downhill, paved road! My horse was sliding all over the place, and I thought for sure he was going to fall. But we made it okay.

It was a ride I'll never forget--but now you've inspired me to investigate the trip up to Seneca Rocks! (Oh my aching rear…)

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun May 23, 2010 7:00 pm

MrE wrote:AWESOME!!! I just saw that airplane today. Kres, one of his buddies, and I went backpacking up on Spruce Knob and Seneca Creek (several miles upstream from where you were). There are some great GS roads up there in the forest service area. Can't wait to get back up there with the bike.

Mike,

The last time I was at Seneca Rocks on my GS, I was planning to ride up to the top of Spruce Knob--but it rained all the night before, and I was afraid that the dirt road would be a sea of mud, so I thought better of it. One of these days.

How was the view from up there?

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun May 23, 2010 7:08 pm

RocketMan wrote:Ha Ha! I recently took that same exact shot while out and about on the airhead. Cool old car. here's mine from my spring has sprung report

given that some things have moved about in the two photo's I'm wondering if some one is working on restoring it?

So you didn't find the sink hole, eh? its right around Baker and there used to be a small pull off on Rt. 55 coming down the hill into town according to the quadtrangle map of the area, I've looked for it but its long gone now. the map data was from late 50's.

Nice report as always and even if your beemer wasn't in there, at least you got a few in One of the shots so I'll let you off the hook, This time. I'm actually headed down to Seneca Rocks this weekend to hook up with some folks from ADV and do a little ride with 'em. hopefully the weather will cooperate!

RM

RM,

If someone's working on the Ford 5-window coupe, they're taking their time! Regardless, it makes quite a sight by the side of the road.

I was sure I'd found the sink hole, until I got back home and looked carefully at Google Maps. Then I realized that I'd "discovered" just a little feeder stream into the Lost River, which at that point, was still going strong. What I can't figure is why your old-timey map indicates that "The Sinks" is close to Baker? Looking at Google, the river doesn't appear to get Lost until a lot closer to Wardensville.

Let me know when you figure this all out, s'il vous plait.

Rick F.

PS: If I'd had my wits about me, I would have realized that the little stream was going the wrong way. Image Whatever you do, don't let Jeff know that I made such a dumb mistake. Oh, wait...

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun May 23, 2010 7:12 pm

DogHouse wrote:What can I say that I haven't said in your other threads. =D>

Rick,

Hmmm, perhaps a generous tip is in order? Image

Rick F.

PS: Thanks--I'm really glad you've enjoyed the write-up's.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun May 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Unity wrote:
Rick F. wrote:Image

Sorry, Rick, I got behind. Yes, I'd say you've got it right with your '36 Ford coupe identification. The '35 was very similar, and I always used the grille shape to tell them apart.

--John
(I craved the '32-34 5-window coupes, sort of skipped over the '35-38 series, then seriously lusted after '39s and '40s. A '39 Mercury coupe -- the first Mercury year -- would have suited me too. :D )

John,

Thanks for the confirmation. The grille threw me for a while, since I wasn't ever too familiar with the post-1932s and pre-1939s. I sort of interpolated to my guess of a 1936.

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 am

Rick F. wrote:
If someone's working on the Ford 5-window coupe, they're taking their time! Regardless, it makes quite a sight by the side of the road.

I was sure I'd found the sink hole, until I got back home and looked carefully at Google Maps. Then I realized that I'd "discovered" just a little feeder stream into the Lost River, which at that point, was still going strong. What I can't figure is why your old-timey map indicates that "The Sinks" is close to Baker? Looking at Google, the river doesn't appear to get Lost until a lot closer to Wardensville.

Let me know when you figure this all out, s'il vous plait.

Rick F.

PS: If I'd had my wits about me, I would have realized that the little stream was going the wrong way. Image Whatever you do, don't let Jeff know that I made such a dumb mistake. Oh, wait...

Well, they don't move real quick in West Verginny ya know... :lol:

As for where the river sinks there used to be a site that had all the quadtrangle maps on line but i think its now a pay site (used to be free) and I don't think I have that paper quadtrangle map at home. I'll have to check. I do remember it was very near where you cross the river on the old 55 after coming down a long hill and also (I believe) crossed under the new 55. It is in the Baker Quadtrangle map

Here ya go http://www.mytopo.com/maps.cfm?search_string=baker+wv 39.0634819 - 78.654728 from Mytopo.com pan to the right and up as you follow the Lost River till you see the little picnic table marker then zoom in to around the above coordinates, you will see "River sinks" and then further up "river emerges".

another link to google maps
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 8&t=h&z=16

I suspect that the river doesn't totally disapear there is still some water in the dry river bed after the sink hole from what I can see in the sat image if you zoom in close. I remember crossing this bridge thinking it was close to the sink hole but there was always water in the river bed.
RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby MrE » Mon May 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Rick F. wrote:
MrE wrote:AWESOME!!! I just saw that airplane today. Kres, one of his buddies, and I went backpacking up on Spruce Knob and Seneca Creek (several miles upstream from where you were). There are some great GS roads up there in the forest service area. Can't wait to get back up there with the bike.

Mike,

The last time I was at Seneca Rocks on my GS, I was planning to ride up to the top of Spruce Knob--but it rained all the night before, and I was afraid that the dirt road would be a sea of mud, so I thought better of it. One of these days.

How was the view from up there?

Rick F.

The road is paved now... I think... Said differently, FS112 is paved up beyond the split where FS104 splits off and goes to the top. 112 turns to gravel a that point but I am pretty sure 104 is paved all the way to the top.

The view is ok. There are so many other ridges and peaks that are almost as high, you don't have those million mile views. But the scenery is very nice. There is a 2 story tower that you can climb and see over the trees.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Next

Return to Ride Stories