A Lost River & Seneca Rocks

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Re: A Lost River & Seneca Rocks

Postby Rick F. » Mon May 24, 2010 9:57 pm

RocketMan wrote:
Rick F. wrote:
If someone's working on the Ford 5-window coupe, they're taking their time! Regardless, it makes quite a sight by the side of the road.

I was sure I'd found the sink hole, until I got back home and looked carefully at Google Maps. Then I realized that I'd "discovered" just a little feeder stream into the Lost River, which at that point, was still going strong. What I can't figure is why your old-timey map indicates that "The Sinks" is close to Baker? Looking at Google, the river doesn't appear to get Lost until a lot closer to Wardensville.

Let me know when you figure this all out, s'il vous plait.

Rick F.

PS: If I'd had my wits about me, I would have realized that the little stream was going the wrong way. Image Whatever you do, don't let Jeff know that I made such a dumb mistake. Oh, wait...

Well, they don't move real quick in West Verginny ya know... :lol:

As for where the river sinks there used to be a site that had all the quadtrangle maps on line but i think its now a pay site (used to be free) and I don't think I have that paper quadtrangle map at home. I'll have to check. I do remember it was very near where you cross the river on the old 55 after coming down a long hill and also (I believe) crossed under the new 55. It is in the Baker Quadtrangle map

Here ya go http://www.mytopo.com/maps.cfm?search_string=baker+wv 39.0634819 - 78.654728 from Mytopo.com pan to the right and up as you follow the Lost River till you see the little picnic table marker then zoom in to around the above coordinates, you will see "River sinks" and then further up "river emerges".

another link to google maps
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 8&t=h&z=16

I suspect that the river doesn't totally disapear there is still some water in the dry river bed after the sink hole from what I can see in the sat image if you zoom in close. I remember crossing this bridge thinking it was close to the sink hole but there was always water in the river bed.
RM

RM,

Well done, sir--that's fantastic! The next time, I'm sure to find the correct area where the Lost River becomes lost. And I'll make sure that the water is disappearing into the ground, as opposed to bubbling up out of the ground!

Many thanks,

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Mon May 24, 2010 10:02 pm

MrE wrote:
Rick F. wrote:
MrE wrote:AWESOME!!! I just saw that airplane today. Kres, one of his buddies, and I went backpacking up on Spruce Knob and Seneca Creek (several miles upstream from where you were). There are some great GS roads up there in the forest service area. Can't wait to get back up there with the bike.

That is some amazing country. Thanks for sharing.

Mike,

The last time I was at Seneca Rocks on my GS, I was planning to ride up to the top of Spruce Knob--but it rained all the night before, and I was afraid that the dirt road would be a sea of mud, so I thought better of it. One of these days.

How was the view from up there?

Rick F.

The road is paved now... I think... Said differently, FS112 is paved up beyond the split where FS104 splits off and goes to the top. 112 turns to gravel a that point but I am pretty sure 104 is paved all the way to the top.

The view is ok. There are so many other ridges and peaks that are almost as high, you don't have those million mile views. But the scenery is very nice. There is a 2 story tower that you can climb and see over the trees.

Mike,

Wow, first I learn where the Lost River actually sinks into the ground, and now I find out that the road to Spruce Knob is paved. This is almost too much good news in one day! (But I'll take it…)

Thanks for the word. BTW, the elevation at Spruce Knob is apparently 4,863 feet. Would you care to hazard a guess as to what the highest elevation in Ohio is? (I lost a bet on this one and was mightily surprised by the answer.)

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby MrE » Tue May 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Rick F. wrote: Would you care to hazard a guess as to what the highest elevation in Ohio is? (I lost a bet on this one and was mightily surprised by the answer.)

Rick

I googled it... very surprising indeed.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby RocketMan » Tue May 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Rick F. wrote:
MrE wrote:
Rick F. wrote:
MrE wrote:AWESOME!!! I just saw that airplane today. Kres, one of his buddies, and I went backpacking up on Spruce Knob and Seneca Creek (several miles upstream from where you were). There are some great GS roads up there in the forest service area. Can't wait to get back up there with the bike.

That is some amazing country. Thanks for sharing.

Mike,

The last time I was at Seneca Rocks on my GS, I was planning to ride up to the top of Spruce Knob--but it rained all the night before, and I was afraid that the dirt road would be a sea of mud, so I thought better of it. One of these days.

How was the view from up there?

Rick F.

The road is paved now... I think... Said differently, FS112 is paved up beyond the split where FS104 splits off and goes to the top. 112 turns to gravel a that point but I am pretty sure 104 is paved all the way to the top.

The view is ok. There are so many other ridges and peaks that are almost as high, you don't have those million mile views. But the scenery is very nice. There is a 2 story tower that you can climb and see over the trees.

Mike,

Wow, first I learn where the Lost River actually sinks into the ground, and now I find out that the road to Spruce Knob is paved. This is almost too much good news in one day! (But I'll take it…)

Thanks for the word. BTW, the elevation at Spruce Knob is apparently 4,863 feet. Would you care to hazard a guess as to what the highest elevation in Ohio is? (I lost a bet on this one and was mightily surprised by the answer.)

Rick

not much more than a pimple on the face of Ohio, 1,549 Feet

83.72009N 40.370327W

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Tue May 25, 2010 3:30 pm

MrE wrote:
Rick F. wrote: Would you care to hazard a guess as to what the highest elevation in Ohio is? (I lost a bet on this one and was mightily surprised by the answer.)

I googled it... very surprising indeed.

Me too. I know that SE Ohio is geographically (and culturally) an extension of the Appalachian uplands, but I had to find out why the highest point would be NW of Columbus(!). Neat map, neat site.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Rick F. » Tue May 25, 2010 7:51 pm

John, RM, & Mike,

When I lost the bet, I was sure that the southeastern part of Ohio would have a top elevation of at least 3,000 feet. Buzz, my college roommate and a life-long Ohio resident, knew better. As I said, what a surprise.

Thanks for the useful website, John. Between that one and the earlier topographical site from RM, I've got a couple of great new resources.

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Ride Stories