York and the Susquehanna

Tell Us About Your Rides!

York and the Susquehanna

Postby Rick F. » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:04 pm

I'd wanted to tour the historic town of York, Pennsylvania for a long time. I figured that York, an early capital of the U.S., would likely have a great combination of history, old buildings, and scenery, plus any number of twisty, interesting roads surrounding it. I wasn't disappointed.

After working until 8:00 or 9:00 PM every night prior to Sunday, April 18, I was more than ready for a change of pace. I quickly looked up some York historic sites on the Internet and mapped out a route east from there to the twin towns of Wrightsville and Columbia, on opposite sides of the mighty Susquehanna River. After adding a few points south of Wrightsville, my plan was set. (Note to Ted: This is one that you won't want to miss.)

I'd gone by Lake Redman many times without getting off the Interstate to look around. I took the time on this trip, and promptly found the Hess Farm, with its particularly scenic barn and pond. It was also a good place to put the top down for the rest of the trip.

In downtown York, I located the extraordinary Hahn House without trouble (discovering in the process that it's now a funeral home). It was originally the home of the Emerton family and was built in 1918. Financial problems forced the Emertons to convert the massive home into apartments in 1921. It later became the "Hahn Home" for unmarried women of good character over age 50 and operated as such for almost 50 years before a major fire laid it to waste in 2003. The home's board of directors had to decide between razing the building, selling it as a ruin, or rebuilding it and selling it. They chose the latter, thank goodness.

Heading toward Cookes House, I ran across the imposing neo-gothic St. Patrick's Church, built in 1895. I arrived just as the congregation was arriving for the morning service. Fortunately , they didn't seem to mind a gawky, picture-takin' tourist.

Cookes House sits on the banks of Codorus Creek, which runs north through the center of York before eventually feeding into the Susquehanna. Cookes House is one of the older buildings in York (1761) and was the home of Thomas Paine of Revolutionary War fame while he served in the Continental Congress here. Paine is often called the "Father of the American Revolution" because of his pamphlet series Common Sense, and it is believed that he wrote The Crisis while living in this house ("These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.")

The oldest building still standing is the Golden Plough Tavern (1741), on the left in this picture. (For some reason, taverns have a way of being the first to arrive and the last to leave…) On the right is the Horatio Gates House (1751). In the early stages of the Revolution, the "Conway Cabal" plotted to overthrow General George Washington and to install Gates as the leader of the army. Legend has it that the Marquis de Lafayette, to counter the plotters, made a toast in Gates' house to George Washington, forcing Conway and others to drink to the health of their intended victim. Historians differ on the accuracy of this story—but it sounds good to me.

You have to admire a city that does things like this:

Other interesting sites in York included the Barnett Bobb log home…

…and the Hotel Codorus.

Did you notice the mural in the background of the prior photo? York has dozens of them, such as this one commemorating famous buildings (including Cookes House) and events.

Charles Billmeyer build this Italianate home in 1863, complete with Italian ceiling frescoes. Billmeyer earned his fortune building railroad cars.

My most favorite building in York, however, proved to be the Rex & Laurel Fire House (1878), also built in an Italianate style and complete with a belfrey on the Rex (left) side and a bell tower on the Laurel side. Quite impressive.

PA route 462 runs right through York, as Market Street, and continues east to Wrightsville and then further east across the Columbia-Wrightsville bridge to (naturally) Columbia. It's one of the prettiest bridges I've seen in a long time. Note what appears to be a small island behind the closest arch in the photo.

The "island" proved to be one of the stone piers that supported an earlier bridge across the Susquehanna. At 1 1/4 miles, at the time it was the longest covered bridge in the country. Union soldiers had to dynamite and then burn the bridge to prevent Confederate General Jubal Early from seizing it—thereby thwarting Robert E. Lee's plans to capture Harrisburg, Reading, and Philadelphia and leading to the pivotal battle at Gettysburg. The fire from the bridge spread into Wrightsville, and Gen. Early's army worked valiantly to help the townspeople save their town. In exchange, the women of the town helped care for a train-full of wounded Confederate soldiers.

I'd been through Columbia once before and enjoyed its historic homes. This time, I discovered many more, including these two:

I also rediscovered the David Forry Tobacco factory, which used to produce smoking and chewing tobacco but is now an antique store (but none the less dramatic-looking).

On the hills overlooking the Susquehanna, this friendly cat arrived to see what I was up to. He appeared to be distinctly unimpressed with my BMW Z4 3.0i. I'm convinced that if I'd had an M roadster, he would have hopped right in for a ride.

After looking around Columbia and nearby Washington Boro, I drove back over the C-W Bridge and drove south alongside the river. I discovered that not all ducks are content with placid rivers and lakes. This one clearly enjoys running the whitewater rapids.

Speaking of placid streams, this one was once the home to the little-known but always-feisty Colonel Thomas Cresap. He settled here in 1730, and his land and "Cresap's Fort" (his house) overlooked the Susquehanna. The Colonel promptly lobbied for this part of Pennsylvania to be made part of Maryland. Eventually, agents of William Penn attacked Cresap, burned his house, and took him prisoner. At trial in Philadelphia, Cresap announced that it was "the nicest city in all of Maryland." He was banished from the area and, among other things, established his next "Cresap's Fort" in Oldtown, Maryland.

Whenever I stopped for pictures, I couldn't help noticing the distinct signs of Springtime. =D>

Continuing on, I soon came to PA route 425—a gem of a road that twisted every which way, occasionally bordering the river, other times climbing hills, and always featuring interesting old houses, churches, ruins, and so forth. Well worth a visit for anyone in the area.

The St. Luke Lutheran Church featured a surreal combination of flowers, graves, clouds, and sky. (But Flash, what kind of flowers are these?)

A little further on, Otter Creek emptied into the Susquehanna at an area called Lake Aldred (formed between the western shore and an island in the river, seen here on the left). Did I mention how scenic route 425 proved to be?

This building served as a tavern and the tollkeeper's home for the York Furnace Bridge and the nearby Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal. The bridge is long gone, having been destroyed twice—first by winds and later by ice flows. Remnants of the canal and its locks still exist.

Everywhere I turned on 425, there was something interesting. It's tough to cover much ground when you stop every 500 feet for another picture…

One of the fun things about driving along older roads is spotting intriguing-sounding road names, such as Garvine Mill Road—and then discovering that there actually is a mill (in this case) or a cave, church, school, or whatever still present. The Garvine Mill was originally built in the early 1800s, burned at some point, and was rebuilt in the late 1800s, serving as a grist mill and later a cider mill. It was in surprisingly good shape and is being restored.

As my trip was coming to an end, I chanced to pass through Stewartstown, PA, which also featured numerous striking homes and other buildings. I especially liked this one:

A couple of doors down, as I was trying to get an HDR picture of a cherry tree, an attractive young lady came out of the house and asked if I needed assistance. (Well, I don't get these offers just every day, you understand!) We chatted about Stewartstown for a few minutes, and then I continued on. Only later did I realize that she had shown up in the third of my "bracketed" pictures, surrounded by a wreath on her front door!

On the outskirts of the town sits this lonely and disheveled railroad car. (One of Charles Billmeyer's perhaps? No, probably too recent.) A long way from its prime, it still was an imposing sight.

Only a few more back roads beckoned before I hit the Baltimore Beltway and drove on home. I enjoyed this miniature-burro farm…

…and the attendant miniature burros, who were quite friendly and loved to have their ears scratched.

And, just for my friend Cathy, I managed to stumble across the historic Gunpowder Baptist Church, which dates back to 1806. Its congregation now meets in a much newer building across the street, but the old church still stands proudly.

All in all, it was a most enjoyable day trip, full of history. If you'd like a gpx file of the route, just let me know. In the meantime, get out there and ride someplace interesting and fun!

Rick F.
Last edited by Rick F. on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Re: York and the Susquehanna

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 pm

Nice as always Rick! Great photos! =D>

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Graybeard » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:48 am

Great story, Rick! The Hahn Home is terrific. Is the Golden Plough still open as a tavern?
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Postby BKling » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:06 am

Another nice write up with great photos.

BTW, they look like phlox to me.
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Postby Flash! » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 am

I think Bryant is right--they come in beautiful shades of pink and cover sunny hillsides.

This was a beautiful tour, Rick. You do great work!

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:22 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Nice as always Rick! Great photos! =D>

Jim :brow

Jim,

Glad you enjoyed 'em! (I've been enjoying your Opel GT progress reports, although I'm continually amazed by the availability of and the extraordinarily inexpensive prices for parts for this 40-year-old German car!)

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Graybeard wrote:Great story, Rick! The Hahn Home is terrific. Is the Golden Plough still open as a tavern?

Larry,

Thanks, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the write-up. I believe the Golden Plough Tavern is open for tours but no longer functions as a tavern. As for the Hahn Home, I can think of one way to get a tour, probably of the basement only, and I don't recommend it!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:25 pm

BKling wrote:Another nice write up with great photos.

BTW, they look like phlox to me.

Bryant,

Thanks! Phlox, eh? I don't think I've ever heard of them, but they were quite attractive.

And you beat Flash! to the answer. Well done.

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Flash! wrote:I think Bryant is right--they come in beautiful shades of pink and cover sunny hillsides.

This was a beautiful tour, Rick. You do great work!

Jody

Jody,

Thanks for confirming Bryant's identification. I saw them in a number of other places, too, almost always on hillsides or banks.

The tour really was fun--and I've PM'd you the gpx file for the route. Just don't laugh at the number of times that my actual track varied from the planned route because I was admiring the scenery and didn't notice the GPS instruction to turn!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:49 pm

Okay, I'm going to have to start playing with HDR.

Stunning pics, Rick. Thanks.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Rick F. » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:06 pm

Unity wrote:Okay, I'm going to have to start playing with HDR.

Stunning pics, Rick. Thanks.

--John

John,

It's a lot of fun, and not too time-consuming, once you learn the basic controls. The results are so good that I'm using HDR more often now than regular shots. I ended up getting the Photomatix software, which isn't too expensive (check out http://www.hdrsoft.com/). They have excellent online tutorials.

Have fun!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby RockBottom » Sat May 08, 2010 8:35 am

Excellent photographs. See my list of Pennsylvania roads for future exploring options.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Sat May 08, 2010 2:45 pm

RockBottom wrote:Excellent photographs. See my list of Pennsylvania roads for future exploring options.

Rock,

Thanks—I've been following your list with great interest for some time. I've been on many of them, either on 2 wheels or 4, but there are others that I'm very much looking forward to exploring.

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Mon May 10, 2010 8:35 am

Nice shots as always (even with any motorcycles in them... :lol:)

OK, so what are you using to edit these and get such intense colors? What HDR software are you using?
Ok, never mind I see the Photomatrix software mentioned above. So do you shoot three, one over and one under and what stops do you use .3 .7 1 ??? or try several depending on lighting/contrast etc..

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Mon May 10, 2010 10:31 am

So I looked at the site for that software, looks kool I'll have to try it. One thing though is water or windy days with grass or things waving could cause problems with blending or fast moving clouds. I'll be interesting in seeing how that works out. The reults are outstanding none the less.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Next

Return to Ride Stories