Mr. Toads Wild Ride Part III Around the Inn

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Mr. Toads Wild Ride Part III Around the Inn

Postby RocketMan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Mr. Toads Wild Ride Part Three night at the Inn

OR

How I learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Inn

One of the things I love about riding a vintage or classic machine is that almost anywhere you go at some point on any extended or overnight trip you almost inevitably run into someone who is familiar with old bikes often other vintage BMW owners. Just after I had parked the bike and while unloading it after getting my room key a gentleman staying at the Inn approached me and complimented the bike. Seems he owned a 73 R75/5, two actually, one he had given his brother, also staying for the night. His had 175K on one and a bit less on the other. So we chatted it up a bit and several more times that evening as we ran into each other around the Inn. The next morning a woman who lived right across the street and a friend of the Inn keepers also approached me and informed me her husband (ex) had a 78 R100 himself, still running and they had spent many hours during their marriage riding and doing overnight trips on it. It really is like riding a conversation piece, I can’t think of a single trip where someone hasn’t recognized the bikes classic lines and started a conversation about it. Very Kool, IMHO.

Now back to the Inn and the evening
In between hanging around the front porch listening to the music and relaxing and waiting for the Inn’s restaurant to open, I wondered around looking at all the antiques, sitting in the garden petting the Inn’s cat, butterscotch and taking a few pictures of the houses and church across the street. A very pleasant, relaxing evening.
Here are some of those pictures, some taken that evening and some taken in the morning of the next day before departing around 9 AM
A picture of the hall outside my room

The hall way downstairs with all the old tools and rifles

The front porch decortations

Looking down the drive toward the main part of town

A closer look at the church

Then the dinner bell rang, Oh, yeah! I was so ready to eat, having not had anything all day..

A nice window set with old glass reflecting in the waning light

this gentleman joined me for dinner (but refused to share his wine!)

After dinner I wondered out to the garden to visit with the house cat once more and let my dinner digest some before going to bed…

The garden walk out the back door

Butterscotch, a Very contented Cat

The garden as seen from the Upper story window landing

Some of the other guest rooms were not occupied and the doors where left open so I peeked in

Then it was off to bed…

The Next Morning

The day started out rather gray and overcast, but without the threat of rain so all was good...

After coffee and while waiting for breakfast I took a short stroll along the road in front of the Inn

The church in morning light

Breakfast was ready so time to recharge….

After breakfast I took a few more shots of the Inn
This was in the hall way with all the other antiques. An old time weather prediction station. The right side detailed Indications" of “Doubtful” weather conditions while the left was simply labeled "Indications" of “Fair”. Being a Scientific type back then must have been a real challenge! I’d love to have something like this, very cool! "Indications of" gotta love it! Personally, I think I would have mad a great Mad Scientist back in those days! Ha Ha!

Finally though it was time to roll, so I packed up, settled my bill and headed out toward Beckley Wv my original destination about 2 hours away by back roads. I decided to take Rt. 63 to Rt. 3 to 12 and then Rt. 19 into Beckley where the mining museum was.

Spent the next two hours on roads like this…

following several different rivers in the process.

End of part three, next up the final ride and what happened 200 miles from home!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: Mr. Toads Wild Ride Part III Around the Inn

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:05 pm

=D> Sweet! I got to take a turn at the old Hotel!

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby BKling » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:57 pm

Martha and I spent a night there several years ago, truly a lovely place.
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:48 pm

RM,

Great report for what sounds like a great ride (except for the occasional cavernous pothole). Thanks for posting.

Of course, I have to ask: Did they really let you stay in such a nice hotel?? Image

:peepwall:

BTW, with your new Honda, I'm hoping to see even more RM reports from even more interesting destinations.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories