beyond the dogpark: actually still a lot of pavement

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Re: beyond the dogpark: this time not so much pavement

Postby Chiba » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:21 am

All right. Get goin already!!!

(OK just kidding)

Bike's coming along nice - I like the pelican topcase a lot, so much so that I put one on my bike too.

(like 2 yrs ago :))

It holds a LOT of stuff.

I have some tool-tube-y things that might work for you - I can bring one/two to tech day if you're planning on attending on Saturday, just let me know!

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby griffin738 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:22 am

JimVonBaden wrote:Paul, do you still need some gear? I am picking it up today!

Jim :brow

Sure man, I'm not sure what you've got but I'd love to score some more gear. Thanks!
these roads don't move, you're the one that moves
. . . Image . . . Image . . .
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Postby griffin738 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:24 am

chiba wrote:I have some tool-tube-y things that might work for you - I can bring one/two to tech day if you're planning on attending on Saturday, just let me know!

--chiba

Sounds good! Lemme check schedule to see if I can make tech day - - but I'd love to check out to tube options
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Postby Chiba » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:36 am

You can always swing by my place, too.

--chiba
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby griffin738 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:01 pm

chiba wrote:You can always swing by my place, too.

--chiba

dude, your place always swings. . .
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:28 pm

griffin738 wrote:

Sure man, I'm not sure what you've got but I'd love to score some more gear. Thanks!

Got it. There is an off road helmet, size XL, several dirt riding garments, a chest protector, and a bunch of other stuff.

JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby griffin738 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:59 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:
griffin738 wrote:

Got it. There is an off road helmet, size XL, several dirt riding garments, a chest protector, and a bunch of other stuff.

Nice! I think I'm set for a helmet and a chest protector - - but some of the stuff would probably help out a lot. Will PM to coordinate!
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Postby Bicyclist » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:36 pm

griffin738 wrote:Nice! I think I'm set for a helmet and a chest protector - -

Looks like it!

griffin738 wrote:Image

I like that pic! :D
George

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
Bicyclist
A.K.A. SANTA!!!

Postby Rick F. » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Paul,

Looks like the bike prep and Grand Trip plans are coming along nicely. I'm jealous!

Will you put on more street-oriented tires for the return trip on pavement?

Also, is the route-roll designed to be a backup for the Zumo, in case it poops out? I'm thinking you could easily carry your routes on a spare SD memory card, in case the data in the Zumo gets hosed somehow. Of course, if the Zumo itself implodes, then you'd need a spare GPS.

Anyway, just curious.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby griffin738 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:50 am

Rick F. wrote:Paul,

Looks like the bike prep and Grand Trip plans are coming along nicely. I'm jealous!

Will you put on more street-oriented tires for the return trip on pavement?

Also, is the route-roll designed to be a backup for the Zumo, in case it poops out? I'm thinking you could easily carry your routes on a spare SD memory card, in case the data in the Zumo gets hosed somehow. Of course, if the Zumo itself implodes, then you'd need a spare GPS.

Anyway, just curious.

Rick F.

Hi Rick, sorry for the slow reply - - I've been crazy busy wrapping up work and getting ready to head out. In fact, I should have left two days ago!

I haven't figured out which tires I'll use on the return trip. I'm pretty sure that I'll need a new set at some point on the way out, and I'll probably run those until they are landfill. Then I'll figure out new tires based on where I am, how much pocket change I have, etc! :)

Regarding the route sheet holder, yes, it is a redundant effort to the GPS. I'm not sure why, but I like the idea of an analogue queue sheet. It seems more "authentic" than a GPS. But of course I'll turn to the GPS in a heartbeat if it can help!

Like I said, I'm nearly ready to shove out of town - but before I do, I'll post on a couple more items. . .

Preparation Wrap-Up
Over the last few weeks I've worked pretty hard to get bike, rider and accessories ready for a long bumpy summer's ride.

Halo chased me around the back yard. . .

And then I went to J&K auto for tech day to change oil and install a new shifter . . .

Chiba lent me both a PA monitor and a tool tube. It's a strange combination, but it all worked out quite nicely in the dining room. . .

(tool tube mounted stealth-like near the rear wheel)

Next, i practiced changing tires using only my packable trail side tools - - check out this entirely slick prop-em-up spike!

In the comfort of my kitchen, Irene helps me swap out a worn rear tire for a new shiny one. . .

Earlier tonight I installed a "speedo / odometer corrector" from Brooks at 12oclocklabs. Since I've changed my rear sprocket, the speedometer and the odometer are even less accurate than when the bike was stock. The handy little correction device applies a "multipler" (greater or less than one, depending on the direction and magnitude or correction required). Again, quite slick!

And all the meanwhile I've been working quite hard to thin out my packed items. Sometimes that's the hardest part.

Okay, one more quick post for tonight. . . coming up in a moment. . .
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Postby griffin738 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:57 am

Hello everyone, this is the last pre-departure post before I slip out the door for the big 2010 Trans American Trail ride.

I plan to make as much content available online as possible. And while this BMWBMW thread will be a key part of the overall media assoult, the best content aggregation point will be www.beyondthedogpark.com - - this now points to a blog site that I will use as a content directory. To get to the content of the overall ride report you will want to use the five links on the upper right side of the www.beyondthedogpark.com page (repeated in this post below)

I don't plan to update the blog page often, but I do plan to update the linked pages, and BMWBMW is one of those.

Here is a brief description of the linked pages off the www.beyondthedogpark.com site.

1 - let's talk (BMWBMW discussion): this link will take you back to this BMWBMW thread. Unlike other ride reports that I've attempted to duplicate on mutiple forums, I think I'll just keep this one local on our club's forum..

2 - where am I? (tracking map): this link points to a service related to a GPS device I carry with me. My "SPOT tracker" sends a signal every fifteen minutes and my subscription service plots my locations for all the world to see. Only the most seven days of location points will be displayed.

3 - see what I see (travel photos): this points to the 2010 travel photos category of my smugmug photo hosting account.

4 - helmet cam (youtube videos): i carry a small GoPro camera and turn it on now and then when something interesting promises to happen. I'll post as many videos as I can along the way, noting that bandwidth might be in shortage on the trip.

5 - trip preparation photos: this links to photos I've taken of bike modifications and test rides over the last five months.

To access the content described above as links 2-5, visit www.beyondthedogpark.com.

Okay, that's all for now - - the next time you see me I'll have dirt and bugs in my teeth (riding and smiling has consequences, you know. . . )

Paul
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Postby Chiba » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:05 am

Good luck Paul!!! Can't wait for the updates.

--chiba
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Flash! » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:50 am

=D> GO PAUL!! We'll be riding with you vicariously.

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Unity » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:50 am

Bon voyage! :thumbup:

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby griffin738 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Hello from Tennessee. This is post number one of two to catch up on the latest. Part one is more fun than part two. . .

Irene, Halo and I drove out of town on July 4, with the bike in the back of the truck. Here is a shot of Halo, the truck, the bike, me and my belly. I had hoped to leave the belly behind, but no such luck. . .

The plan was to take our time and make the drive down to Jellico over two days. We stopped in Wytheville VA in time to see their very good independence day fireworks display. Here is what we saw
and here is what the people standing behind our truck saw

On the 5th we finished the drive to mile zero of the big trail.

Irene and I decided to get a sneak preview of the trail; we figured that we'd go for a short jog along the first few miles. As it turns out, the trail officially begins in a hotel parking lot and the first 7 miles are paved streets that lead out of town. No problem, we drove to the first gravel portion and set out on foot. Here is Halo waiting for the run to begin. . .

After meeting up with a few others who would also start the ride on the same day, we got a short night's sleep before an early wake-up to begin the ride.

At 5:00 the alarm rang. And then again every ten minutes until 6:00 when we were officially late for breakfast. We ate stale bagels and drank bad coffee; I was delighted with both, rationalizing that they might be the best food I'd have for a while.

And then there were some obligatory beginning-of-the-ride shots. . .
Me and Irene (and Halo with something weird entering or exiting her mouth)

Me with my bike - - for the record, we both start the ride looking fairly clean!

The gang of riders: Paul (um, that's me), Mike, Mike's daughter and her friend (support crew), Ryan, Tavis

Irene drove ahead and stopped at the same place we had run the day before - - she took a few trail shots.

Here we come! (i'm the first guy in the first photo - I took of the white jersey pictured above)

and there we go!
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Stories