beyond the dogpark: actually still a lot of pavement

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Re: beyond the dogpark: this time not so much pavement

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:38 am

Wow Paul! I got a little behind (tee hee) on following your adventure. I'm so sorry to hear about your fall! I think coming home is the right choice. Assuming you want to continue keeping with the time you've taken off from work, you could either head out on a longish trip or do a bunch of shorter trips to make sure your leg is feeling okay. That's a nasty bruise that I'll bet hurts like a bitch. You really might want to consider just resting for a few days and letting Halo take care of you :)

You'll still be an awesome adventurer in our eyes!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Rick F. » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Paul,

Well, no "tee hee's" or "behind" comments from me! Although that is one big, nasty-looking bruise you've got.

I'm really sorry that your trip didn't go as planned--I know how much you'd been looking forward to it. Too bad you couldn't continue, but there really wasn't any other (reasonable) choice.

So, get well quick! Thanks for the photo-story of the bike preparation and the ride. I'll look forward to the next, not-so-attenuated report!

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:21 pm

Sorry your plans had to change, Paul. You made the right choice, though -- that's a serious injury! :shock:

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby griffin738 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi gang, thanks for the support!

I've been taking my time in returning home. Without a requirement to go any certain distance in any certain time, I've been enjoying the scenery in Tennessee and -as of today- North Carolina. I rode a while through the smokey mountains today. I'll post a couple photos below, but I've had a lot of fun this evening editing a video that I've actually been successful in posting to youtube. If anyone smart with such things would like to embed the video, then high five for you!

While watching the video, think of an injured biker, on pain killers, happy to be meandering through the hills (serious note: no pain killers while riding, but maybe while editing!)
VIDEO LINK -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iefzdPzuOQ4

okay and for a few photos. . .

Oh! and I've made partial peace with my cranky GPS. It seems that the GPS will work well enough to show me where I am. It just wants nothing to do with calculating where I might want to go. So I've come to grips wiht the idea of writing out directions in my route sheet holder and only using the GPS for confirmation that I'm making the turns I had planned on. I've even bought one of those paper things with lines and words on it. You know, it's sort of like a big picture of an area and it labels roads and towns and stuff. Aw shoot, I can't quite recall what it's called. But I do know that I can't seem to fold it up well. . .

Also, the bruise cam has been updated, for those of you with strong constitutions. . .
these roads don't move, you're the one that moves
. . . Image . . . Image . . .
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Postby RJP3579 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:36 am

Rick :rider:
RJP3579
Are you not entertained?

Postby Unity » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Cool video, Paul. :D

--John
(I think those bubbles would have been a little distracting. :twitching: )
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby HiPaul » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:09 pm

Hey Paul! Joanne and I are catching up on your adventures. Sorry to hear about the bruise. Regardless of the outcome, I know you'll have a great adventure. Good luck, and ride safe! Duane G
HiPaul

Postby griffin738 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:32 am

Hi gang! Say, I'm wondering if you all wouldn't terribly mind voting for this thread as the biggest, most uncoordinated mess to have hit our forum, especially the ride reports section. It's taken quite a bit of effort, but I really think that I've created something quite extraordinary here, extraordinarily bad of course!

Let's do a quick review, shall we?. . .
February: I decided it would be fun to show you pictures of my dirt bike in my living room. Not exactly a ride report, but you were all quite kind.
March: I posted about some mods I did to the wr250r. Still not a ride report - - but you all humored me, especially because i posted pictures of a cute puppy.
April: No posts. I left you all in the dark on my non-ride, non-report
May: Not so much as a peep.
June: I announce the impending start to an ACTUAL RIDE, one that will be magnificent and wonderful and worthy of all your kind attention.
July: I leave to start on the TAT, wipe out on the first day, cry and moan about my troubles and slink home undetected.
August: Ah Ha! I think that August will be good!!! Read on my friends, read on. . .

Hello now from Park City Utah where I am staying at the swanky Marriott, with my GS parked in the very best spot out front. But let me tell you how I got here. . .

After returning home from Tennessee with a bruised & swollen leg and battered riding confidence, I milled around Arlington for a couple weeks, catching up on some odds and ends (including my resume - - anyone need an AWESOME employee?). As I tinkered away with hobbies and personal finance items, I kept thinking about how I had done a ton of maintenance on the GS over the winter and how it would be a shame not to give her a good test ride this season. So I decided to hit the road again.

A Fast Dash West
On August 1, I took off. The (very lose) plan was to bee-line it out to the rockies, then take some time milling around in the mountains. It took me three days to make it to New Mexico. And those were three HOT, HOT, HOT days! Temperatures were hovering around 104 all through Missouri and Oklahoma where there is nothing but the sun, the blacktop and you. It was the type of heat where opening the helmet's face shield really only increases the amount of searing heat that rushes past flesh. I'd post pictures but I didn't stop long enough for that sort of thing.

New Mexico
But then I reached New Mexico where the first stop was to get a new rear tire in Albuquerque, then head over a mountain to the east to Cedar Crest where my friend Rob lives. The tire operation went a-okay and the service manager suggested a scenic route over the mountain. Rather than taking the highways to circumvent the mountain to the south, he told me about a dirt road that runs up and over, a bit to the north. Perfect! As I left the dealership, several of us noticed a brooding sky to the west. Those with local wisdom advised that the rain would head south and the my off-road adventure would be dry and flawless. So I rode north and then headed toward where the pavement turned to sand (Neil Young lyrics stolen shamelessly). SO, take a look at the photo below. Guess where my dirt road is. Yep, my mud road is on the left, under the storm. . .

I finally made it to Rob's house and all was healed by a meal, a beer and good company. Rob moved from DC to the Albuquerque area a couple years ago. We want him to come back east, yet we really do like that we can visit him out west! Here is a shot of Cooper-the-dog and his human Rob. . .

Durango
Then it was up into Colorado - here are a couple shots from that leg. . .

The first Colorado stop was Durango where my friend Jeff lives. Having had SW Colorado as "a second home" for a while, Jeff moved from the DC area to Durango for full-time living a couple years ago. A bunch of "the gang" has visited him to enjoy winter sports. Not liking the cold, I saved up my visiting rights for the summer! Being a wise man, Jeff recommended that I stay over on Friday, but then join his local hashing group for their annual campout. Trusting that he knew what was best for me, I was in no position to argue. Not all can be told about the campout (mostly because not all can be remembered) - but here is some "evidence" of a good time. . .

it starts with a run. . .

and then some tubing. . .

and then a beer or two. . .

and then a campfire . . .

and then who knows what!

Up Through Colorado
After an extra recovery day, I hopped back on the bike and headed north. The road from Durango up through Silverton and Ouray is legendary for its stunning views (and tricky, tight switchbacks!).

Then I made my way up to Rocky Mountain National Park. I'd never been there before so it was good to make that "check mark" on life's list. Some shots of the ride:

There is quite a bit of road work in the park and at one point when I stopped I decided to hop off the bike to take a photo or two. Unfortunately I misjudged the camber of the road. My bike leaned so far to the left that it just kept going. Yep, she toppled right over. Two upsides: 1) my leg did not get snapped and 2) I met some great fellas who ran to help me pick up the bike. Here is a shot of me after the bike is up - - note a little scuffing of the pavement; i think the pavement got more beat up than my bike! (yes, one of my big PIA lights is out - - that will wait for now)

Last night I stayed in Steamboat Springs. While milling around at the hotel, I said hello to another traveler who said he was in town supporting a group riding the Continental Divide Trail. I had heard that Jim Hyde's group was doing a similar ride so I asked if he was associated with that. Sure enough, same group. (Note: Jim Hyde teaches off-road riding and leads tour groups - - I took one of his classes in California back in 2007 and have kept somewhat current on his school since then - - he is now officially sponsored by BMW). Sadly, Jim had broken his leg in a bike accident recently, so he would not be in town - - heal up quickly Jim!

Here is a shot of Steamboat Springs at dusk. . .

Today I rode west on rt 40 to Park City Utah. My friend Joan is a Marriott employee and has kindly set me up with very nice lodging on the cheap - thanks Joan! Anyway, here are some shots from today's ride. . .

And for no good reason, I end up with three spooky photos from today's ride. . . which scares you the most?
1) skull thing: Image
2) eagle rampage: Image
3) dino in a box: Image

Okay, that's it for today. And possibly for August, maybe September too!

Remember: Vote for this thread as THE WORST EVER!!! (thank you)
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Re: beyond the dogpark: actually still a lot of pavement

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:39 am

Remember: Vote for this thread as THE WORST EVER!!!

No can do my friend! What you lack in consistency you make up for in stunning views and the green factor! (I am green with envy)

Try and keep posting, though I know how hard it is!

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Chiba » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:54 am

camping one night... Marriot another... it's like a bipolar motorcycle adventure :)

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Rick F. » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Paul,

Three cheers--you're back on the road!

And, from the looks of it, having a grand time. I am so envious.

Have a great ride, and please keep posting photos of your whereabouts.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby griffin738 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:57 pm

Jim, Wes and Rick, thanks for the good words. Brace yourself for silliness - - because I'm going to write more about the trip!

I left off a week or so ago when I was in Park City. I liked the town quite a bit - - and it was a very convenient staging ground for me as I needed to ride to the Salt Lake City the next day. From Park City to SLC, there is a very direct interstate route - - and there is also a very indirect scenic route. In pursuit of scenery, I rode south out of town and soon found myself on crazy steep and tight switchbacks. And then things turned to gravel, and those same things got steeper. At the top of Guardsman Pass, I parked the bike and thanked all deities for safe travel - and I struck up conversation with a guy named Pat who was spending a month in the area to escape the heat of his Palm Springs home. I was way too chicken to stop to take photos of my ride up, but I did take a shot at the top. . .

I made my way down to SLC and stopped by Salt Lake BMW / Triumph. I met some good people there and I managed to skate away with a free t-shirt. The shirt heist was no easy matter as the parts sales people are far more eager for sales than give-aways. For example, one person suggested that I buy some chain wax. I mentioned that my bike doesn’t have a chain - - but no matter! - a sale is a sale! . . . (more on this later)

I checked into a hotel near the airport and hopped on the shuttle to meet Irene who would join me for a bunch of days on a rideabout of Utah. We spent a short night in SLC, then hopped on the bike and blasted through the heat down to Beaver Utah. We explored the town on foot and joined some others at a dinner that was the pre-race feeding before a half marathon the next morning. The thirteen mile Beaver City Outlaw Run was a ton of fun - - there were only ~35 runners and at least as many support staff. Everyone was very welcoming. And the scenery was great. And the 6,000 foot elevation made me wheeze. A lot. As I could have predicted, I was pretty far back in the pack, well behind rockstar runner Irene. But the big (happy) surprise was learning that Irene came in first among all women. Wow! Very great!

After the run we showered at the hotel and then headed south to Zion National Park. I ask you, after running a half marathon at elevation and then riding for hours through crazy heat, what would be the dumbest thing a person could do? How about a hike!?!? Here are a couple shots of that evening's outing to the Emerald Pools. . .

And the next day we had the opportunity to spend a full day tromping around the park. Here a few shots of our run up to Observation Point. . .

From one of the hikes, here's a shot of me being oh-so-happy that I'm quicker on trail than Irene - - very uncommon!

The next morning we gassed up the bike - - I've been playing around with my riding gear. I've brought my textile riding jacket, but I've taken the armor out of it. I've been wearing a compression suit by Acerbis - - and on top of that I can wear a jacket, a jersey or whatever I want. I'm also trying out a neck brace. The compression suit and the neck brace are both items I had purchased for the TAT trip, and both seem to be working nicely on the road.

Exiting Zion to the east involved passing through quite a bit of construction - - but in Zion even construction is beautiful. . .
in the spooky tunnel. . .

We passed through Bryce Canyon

And continued on Route 12, heading northeast. (Thanks endobobdds for the route 12 suggestion - - beauty!!!)

We dodged some storms that day - - here is Irene hunkered down with a book while we held up at a gas station. . .

We spent the night in Torrey where we saw this
and this
and also this (poor little snowman, all melty in the summer heat)

The next day we rode up through Capital Reef

and continued north, back to Park City

We went out for a jog through the town’s main street and we came across a bar’s chalk billboard that advertised their specials and also included the words “welcome Bob Dylan.” We passed the sign and paused a moment later. It seemed very unlikely that Bob Dylan would be playing at such a small venue – but it also seemed regrettable to not at least stop in and inquire. . .

It turned out that indeed Dylan was performing that night, but not at the bar - - he was playing up at the Deer Valley resort, which we learned was just a couple miles away and accessible via a free bus. And so we decided to go. Regrettably we didn’t bring warm clothing on our run – and so Irene picked up a long sleeve shirt and I drank a heartwarming beer. We approached the bus stop and someone called over, “hi Paul.” Huh? Ah! It was Pat, the person I had met at the top of Guardsman Pass a week or so earlier. “Hi Pat, we’re off to see if we can get into the Bob Dylan show - - what are you up to?” “I’m heading up there too, and I don’t have a ticket either. But you might not need a ticket if you don’t mind going for a walk. . .” Interesting! We like walking. . .

We hopped off the buss at Deer Valley and followed Pat up a mountain bike trail that skirts around the outside of the fenced concert venue. Irene, Pat and I joined a rag-tag group of thrifty concert-goers as we watched the show from a lovely vantage point, only yards outside of where others were standing who paid full freight to get in. It’s true that the sound might not have been 100% great where we were, but then again, Dylan hasn’t sounded 100% great for decades! (Yes, that is an evil remark - - but I do love Bob Dylan!). Having outfitted ourselves only for a run, we brought no camera (booo. . ). But Pat did lend Irene another layer on that cold evening, and he did offer us a beer - - and it would have been rude to turn down these generous offers, right???! Thanks Pat!

I stole this (recent?) photo of Dylan from somewhere on the innernetwerx. . .

On our way back to Salt Lake City, Irene and I detoured through Big Cottonwood Canyon - - it looks like this. . .

And when we ride together, we look like this. . .

Irene made it to her flight back to DC and returned safe and sound. Thanks for visiting sweetie!
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:34 am

Great pictures, mostly thanks to Irene I suspect. You two are both nuts, and a perfect match! =D>

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Unity » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Glad you've healed up enough to run (albeit slowly) and ride. Nice trip. :D

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby griffin738 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:01 pm

Jim: yep, I think you are spot-on that Irene is responsible for the best photos!

John, thanks for giving me the hurt-leg excuse for some slow running. Truth be told, the leg is doing great! (but the running is still slow - - go figure. . .)

and here are some more updates. . . .

After dropping Irene off at the Airport, I returned to the BMW / Triumph shop. The good people there changed my engine, transmission and rear drive oils - - ah, it’s nice to get a motorcycle make-over!

I had a day or two to kill in the area so I asked people at the shop if they had any recommendations on rides or things to see in downtown Salt Lake City. And I asked people what they thought of visiting the Bonneville Salt Flats. When I mentioned the salt flats to the guy in the parts department, he suggested that I buy a chair from him so that my visit to the races would be a comfortable one. And then he repeated his earlier (from a week ago) suggestion that I buy some chain wax. Again with the chain wax - - HA!!!!

The consensus at the dealership was that the salt flats are worth visiting and the there is a bar or two that I should visit in SLC. Exiting the store, my chain wax salesman mentioned that he was not working the next day and that he might be up for the ride out to the salt flats. He introduced himself as Homer, and we made plans to ride west the next day.

Would you buy chain wax from this man?
oh, and he is pretty stoked about his parking options given this bike tag. . .

We rode the ~100 miles west to the salt flats, and we did a fine job of hiding under an overpass to dodge a storm along the way. In the midst of a 50+ mile section that is flat and un-turning along the western Utah interstate, it’s tough not to notice a large tree-like structure/sculpture. There are signs that tell you not to stop, but I think that many people do, at least we did. . .

We reached the salt flats and we were waived through without payment (thank you!). It was a very freaky feeling to ride across the salt. Freaky in a sort of safe yet boundless way. . . safe in the sense that riding in any direction would be fine (as opposed to twisty mountain roads where accuracy counts) and boundless in the sense that you can ride very far in any given direction (note however that finding one’s way back needs to be considered before rampaging out into oblivion).

There were plenty of vehicles racing on the speedway that day and we got to experience vehicles reaching for speed targets ranging from 150+mph to nearly 400mph. Even from our distant vantage point it was oh so very cool! The best opportunity to actually see the racing vehicles is to watch them get towed (or pushed) to/from the pit, or to visit them in their campsites. Here are a few examples. . .

At some point I needed to visit the bathroom and figured it would be okay to ride 100+mph to get to this. . .

We rode back to the SLC area and washed the salt off our bikes. Homer’s father made us dinner and we enjoyed some good company for an hour or two. And then I went back into town to watch the mormon tabernacle choir rehearse. I saw these things. . .

and then I went to a bar where I saw this

On Friday I rode back to the BMW dealership and met with the group who would be riding up through Yellowstone and over the Bear Tooth Pass to Red Lodge.

Our initial group of nine increased to thirteen people as we made our way up through Utah’s Logan Pass and Bear Lake.
Feuling up. . .
the support vehicle. . .

And a view of Bear Lake

A couple of the others, stopped for construction in Yellowstone.

Along the side of the road. . .

After exiting Yellowstone to the east, we made it up and over Beartooth Pass. I had been there once before, in 2002 when Griffin the dog and I moved about the country in a motorhome. Here is a “then and now” pair of photos. . .

THEN

NOW (if you recall last year’s thread about the Nova Scotia trip, you’ll understand when I say that a little bit of Griff has returned to this location)

That evening about fifteen of us went to dinner together. On the way into town I saw this fun bike. . .

. . .and after dinner we went to a bar. . . and there was much rejoicing! Some great music. . .

I don’t recall the details of our walk back to the hotel, but apparently we visited the KLR again (hee hee hee). . .

I woke up a little late yesterday. The BMW group was readying themselves to return to SLC and I decided to take a slow ride down to Cody WY. So back over Bear Tooth pass and then over the Chief Joseph highway.

In Cody, I visited the Buffalo Bill Historical Center - - a very well done museum. I have occasionally wondered why buffalo seem like such angry beings. This painting I saw in the museum offers some insight. . .

And this brings me current to today. . . From Cody, I rode east to the Bighorn Mountains.

I decided to stop here at the Bear Lodge Resort and I just got back from a bit of a hike. I walked to the top of the hill you see on the horizon

and from there I looked back to this view

and I looked like this while I was doing those things. . .

And now it’s time to go get dinner – g’night!
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Stories