beyond the dogpark: actually still a lot of pavement

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Re: beyond the dogpark: actually still a lot of pavement

Postby Unity » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

That roadster profile fueled many daydreams in my teens. :drool:

--John
(Unrequited lust is a dreadful disappointment.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Very nice Paul. You have a way...

By the way, this must be one underpowered bike:

Cool though!

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Chiba » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:06 am

Cool pics, love seeing the scenery. I've always wanted to go to the salt flats.

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby griffin738 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:08 am

I woke up in the bighorn mountains to find frost on my bike. Frost - - in August. Brrrrr....

And then I rode down a stretch of road into Dayton WY that I had ridden once before, except it was dark that last time and my experience inspired this graphic. . .

But in the light of day it was all quite lovely to see. . .

Lured by the roadside signs promising wondrous attractions and every creature comfort imaginable, I spent the night in Wall, South Dakota. I walked through Wall Drug and other glom-on businesses. And then I was happy to discover a Forest Service visitor's center dedicated to the grasslands.

Continuing eastward through South Dakota, I rode hard though some strong headwinds. With a total of about 520 miles to ride that day - and having topped off the fuel the evening before, I was hoping to stop for fuel just once, somewhere in the middle of the trip. Since my fuel gauge hasn't worked since I've owned the bike I've come to rely on the odometer to judge when I need to stop for gas. About 220 miles into the day (just past the second exit for Mitchell, SD, the home of the Corn Palace), the low fuel indicator light went on. That was odd, since the bike's nearly eight gallon tank should take me at least 280 miles. None the less, I figured that I'd stop at the next exit and fill up. But then, "pssst - pffffft - sssssst - phhhhup" the bike died and I coasted onto the shoulder. Not sure hoe I let it happen. . . had I not filled up completely the night before? Did the headwind really kill my fuel efficiency so much? Mysteries abound!

Anyway, here I was. . .

I had lousy cell reception but after a bunch of calls, I was glad to become more knowledgeable about AAA coverage - - they don't give a cr@p about you if you ride a bike. Wonderful.

I could write about all the folks that passed me while I tried to ask for help, but I'll focus on the guy who did stop. After about 35 minutes on the shoulder of rt 90, a guy on a fully loaded sport bike pulled over. Given a speed limit of 75, his bike came to a stop about 50 yards up the road. Just as I started to walk toward him, a state trooper coming from the other direction pulled into the median and waited to pull across the road and behind my bike. I continued to walk to the biker. He introduced himself as James and sure enough, he had two 1-liter MSR containers with gasoline! The trooper helped us fashion a funnel out of a sports drink bottle and then my bike fried right up. Here is a shot of my saviors - - thanks guys!

I rode into Omaha and walked over the the Qwest Arena. Some tickets had just been released and I manged to get an eighth row seat to see Rush that night. Sweet!

Tonight I am in Peoria Illinois and tomorrow I'll head over to Indianapolis. Hmmm, I wonder what there is to do there this weekend?. . . .
these roads don't move, you're the one that moves
. . . Image . . . Image . . .
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Postby Chiba » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:11 am

Dude. You got to see Rush. Epic!!!

--chiba
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:21 am

Cool, same place two years ago:

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Bicyclist » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Cool, same place last month:

George

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
Bicyclist
A.K.A. SANTA!!!

Postby griffin738 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Hey there everybody!

Just thought I'd wrap up this trip report. You know, the one that started in February and has run seven months, even though I only rode for five weeks or so? Yep, that one. . . i mean, this one. . .

Anyway, when last we talked, we chatted about Wall Drug and we hit some high notes as we sang along with Geddy Lee ("we are the priests - of the temples - of syrinx" - that sort of thing).

I spent a morning wandering through the market area of Omaha - - I liked the area quite a bit, fun places to go out & hang out. A huge caffeine coffee bomb helped make the roses more rosy and the parks more park-like. I had two days to get to Indianapolis, so I wasn't in a big hurry. I rode that day across Iowa and made it to Peoria. My overnight spot was right near a guitar store, so I had the chance to sit with a bass for a while - - and now I've decided that I'm ready to re-try life with a six-string bass. . .

I met some pals the next night in Indianapolis and off we went to the MotoGP. Here is proof that I actually know a few people, or at least that I can photoshop myself into other people's photos. . .

On Saturday, we milled around endlessly through the vendor areas. We ran into other fun club members, Nancy and also Nate. According to the text history on my phone, Drew was enjoying the races - but alas the cabana twins did not meet up. We took seats near the start/finish straight-away. People, let me tell you that the place was LOUD!!! Those loud bikes may be saving lives, but they were also making my head bleed. . .

Here's a shot of a couple LOUD blurry motorcycles

And the next day we staked out some seats that would give a good view of some tight turns. . .

Holy tight cluster. .

Here is what a corner is supposed to look like. . .

and here is what the same area looks like when about half of the riders decide to do some landscaping. . .

After a long weekend with the gang, I pushed through to home on Monday - - that was a week ago. Since then I've been sorting life's details. Catching up on this thread is an example. Next up, process a month's worth of membership requests!!! (I've been a SLACKERRRRRRRR!!)
these roads don't move, you're the one that moves
. . . Image . . . Image . . .
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Postby Chiba » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:12 am

Welcome home!

--chiba
Chiba
The FUNNY One