Orkney Springs, revisited

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Orkney Springs, revisited

Postby RocketMan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Last weekend I decided to re-visit Orkney Springs to get some wintry shots with, hopefully, some snow still around and turn the 1000 mile mark on the new motor. after doing the mid-break-in valve timing and re-torque of the heads a few weekends ago I was itching to finish the full break-in period. Left home around 9 with the temps at 36 and headed out 55 to the top of Fort Valley Rd. The only camera I took was the Pen EP-1 with prime lens (17mm). Now that photo-shop has a plug-in for the Pen's raw format, I shot everything in raw. Must say I think the raw images from the Pen are better than the in-camera process it does on jpegs. Most needed almost no post-processing.

First, some shots of the still partly frozen creek thru the Geo. Wash. Forest area.

The beast waiting on the other side of the road

Fort Valley Road was a little tricky in places due to the gravel and sand used during the recent snow storm we had, so I took it a good 10-15 below what I normally run it at, putting me right about at the actual posted speed, not often That happens!
Once at 678 I headed toward Rt. 11 instead of over the last hill toward 211. Stopped in Mt Jackson for a bit then headed out to Orkney Springs on 263.
The main (Virginia House) lodge.

A close up of the main porch

And a side view

Found a few windows with the shades pulled back enough to peek in..

The road coming in from near where it ends at the shrine.

One of several out buildings with more guest rooms

A few shots of the spring itself

Interesting color, I noticed the rocks lining the pond and the front of the stones where the spring water runs out have a very “rusty” red color, wonder if the spring is high in iron content? I know that some springs in the area have high mineral contents which is part of what made them popular so many years ago when “taking the waters” was thought to be restorative and healthy. The more mineral content the better, both for bathing and drinking. Doesn’t strike me as being very palatable…..

On the way home after crossing the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge.. no doubt I’ll be back soon…

On the way home after topping the 1000 mile mark on the motor I found a few good spots to run her up near red-line in the first three gears from a standing start hit 85 in time flat, Sweet! She’s pretty much settled in now and ready for plenty more miles!
Total of 250 miles, left home at 9, arrived back at 4 temps went from 36 to 54. All in all a very good airhead, backroads, winter’s ride.

Link to handheld pano below the small version included

http://roadrunes.com/photo/main.php?g2_ ... emId=61682

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: Orkney Springs, revisited

Postby Rick F. » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:08 pm

RM,

Very nice! I'm glad you had a chance to get out, finish the break-in, and provide enjoyable pictures and commentary for us all. I especially liked the pano shot.

On my trip last Monday, I only saw a few motorcycles--but they were virtually all BMWs.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Re: Orkney Springs, revisited

Postby Maria V » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Nice pics - I like the porch and the reflection from the pool best.
:D
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Return to Ride Stories