St. Mary's City: Birthplace of a State (and Fall Colors)

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Re: St. Mary's City: Birthplace of a State (and Fall Colors)

Postby Rick F. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Graybeard wrote:
Ted wrote:Bravo yet again Rick - an excellent read :)

+1

Thanks, Rick!

Larry,

Thanks very much--and thanks, too, for the article, which I really appreciate.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:09 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Very nicew, as always Rick!

The poem:

Frightened with Fools, from Plymouth sound,
To Mary-Land our Ship was bound:
Where we arriv’d in dreadful Pain,
Shock’d by the Terrours of the Main;
For full three Months our wavering Boat,
Did thro’ the surley ocean float,
And furiovs Storms and threat’ning Blasts;
Both tore our Sails and sprung our Masts.

Jim :brow

Jim,

Three cheers, you did it! Now did you actually read it backwards or did you cheat (like I did) and reverse the photo? Either way, you get the Grand Prize for being first with the correct reading (except "Frightened" should be "Freighted," I believe). Now, if I can just figure out what the Grand Prize actually is...

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Joints4sale wrote:It is amazing how we pass by these places on a daily basis(I live about a mile and a half from the "Dove") and don't notice the beauty of them. Thank you for reminding me to stop and smell the roses once in a while

Erik,

Wow, what a great place to live. I loved all the history and beauty of that part of Maryland. In fact, my wife and I are going back there for Thanksgiving.

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:14 pm

Firebird wrote:I went to school at St. Mary's. It was fun watching some of my fellow classmates walking around in period clothing when they were working at the old city. When I went on board the Maryland Dove, when they brought it to berth, I totally forgot how short people were back then.

Dawn,

I was looking forward to going below on the Dove, but I got thrown off before I had the chance. It's had to imagine 140 people crossing the ocean on a pair of ships that size.

St. Mary's College looked like a great place to go to school, and it has a good reputation, too. Was the St. John's archeological site being excavated when you were there?

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:17 pm

RocketMan wrote:Very nice spread as always.

we should put you in charge of finding and recording the history of BMWBMW.... :lol:

I can see it now

"This is the first recorded photo of the first president on his 1651 R .00001 while being chased His Majesty s troops thru Lower Fairfax County" ha ha!

RM

RM,

I like the idea! The fact that no one has yet unearthed evidence of a 1651 R .00001 is undoubtedly because BMW used lightweight, thin-cast iron and wood to build them back then, and the elements have taken their toll... It's a shame, really; historians are just dying to know which form of turn signal switches BMW used back then.

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:21 pm

RocketMan wrote:
Unity wrote:Beautiful.

--John
(Rick, I'm beginning to suspect that you take beauty along with you and sprinkle it like pixie dust on your scenes.)

Hmmmm,

I think John just called you a fairie or something.... :lol:

RM

RM,

Hmmmph! Trying to agitate up some trouble, are you?

Actually, our house is loaded with Fairy Dust. My wife is the "Book Fairy" for an elementary school, providing them with many children's books each year to help their reading program. During visits, she dresses up and throws a fair amount of very fine glitter around. She even gives the kids little bags of this Fairy Dust for good luck.

So there, wise guy!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:24 pm

Unity wrote:Beautiful.

--John
(Rick, I'm beginning to suspect that you take beauty along with you and sprinkle it like pixie dust on your scenes.)

Unity wrote:No, more like a magician.

--John

John,

Thanks for the kind words--and for standing up to the Evil Breezy-Butt on my behalf!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Rick F. wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:Very nicew, as always Rick!

The poem:

Frightened with Fools, from Plymouth sound,
To Mary-Land our Ship was bound:
Where we arriv’d in dreadful Pain,
Shock’d by the Terrours of the Main;
For full three Months our wavering Boat,
Did thro’ the surley ocean float,
And furiovs Storms and threat’ning Blasts;
Both tore our Sails and sprung our Masts.

Jim,

Three cheers, you did it! Now did you actually read it backwards or did you cheat (like I did) and reverse the photo? Either way, you get the Grand Prize for being first with the correct reading (except "Frightened" should be "Freighted," I believe). Now, if I can just figure out what the Grand Prize actually is...

Rick F.

Damn, I was so careful to use the right letters and caps then I missed the obvious!

By the way, I did not reverse the photo. I am fairly proficient in reading upside-down and backwards. Years of teaching I guess.

JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Firebird » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:11 am

Rick F. wrote:
Firebird wrote:I went to school at St. Mary's. It was fun watching some of my fellow classmates walking around in period clothing when they were working at the old city. When I went on board the Maryland Dove, when they brought it to berth, I totally forgot how short people were back then.

Dawn,

I was looking forward to going below on the Dove, but I got thrown off before I had the chance. It's had to imagine 140 people crossing the ocean on a pair of ships that size.

St. Mary's College looked like a great place to go to school, and it has a good reputation, too. Was the St. John's archeological site being excavated when you were there?

Rick F.

I believe so. I remember they were excited by one of the major discoveries being made there. I think it was St. John's site. So much was going on there at the time. SMC has grown since I went to school there. I just may apply to attend for a second degree just to partake of all the improvements the college has made. Those kids sure have it good there.
Firebird

Postby RocketMan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:40 am

Rick F. wrote:
RocketMan wrote:Very nice spread as always.

we should put you in charge of finding and recording the history of BMWBMW.... :lol:

I can see it now

"This is the first recorded photo of the first president on his 1651 R .00001 while being chased His Majesty s troops thru Lower Fairfax County" ha ha!

RM

RM,

I like the idea! The fact that no one has yet unearthed evidence of a 1651 R .00001 is undoubtedly because BMW used lightweight, thin-cast iron and wood to build them back then, and the elements have taken their toll... It's a shame, really; historians are just dying to know which form of turn signal switches BMW used back then.

Rick F.

Well there was a wooden motorcycle made back in 1885 as seen here

Image so who's to say someone didn't make one even earlier?

In late 1885 Daimler and Maybach developed the first of their petrol engines, which featured:

* a single horizontal cylinder of 264 cc (16 cu in)[2] (58×100 mm, 2.28×3.94 in)[3]
* air cooling
* large cast iron flywheel
* hot tube ignition system (patent 28022)
* cam operated exhaust valves, allowing high speed operation
* 0.5 hp (370 W)[3]
* 600[citation needed] rpm running speed, beating previous engines which typically ran at about 120 to 180 rpm
* weight around 50 kg (110 lb)[3]
* height 76 cm (30 in)[3]

In 1885, they created a carburetor which mixed gasoline with air allowing its use as fuel. In the same year Daimler and Maybach assembled a larger version of their engine, still relatively compact, but now with a vertical cylinder of 100 cm² displacement and an output of 1 hp at 600 rpm (patent DRP-28-022: "non-cooled, heat insulated engine with unregulated hot-tube ignition"). It was baptized the Standuhr (Grandfather Clock), because Daimler thought it resembled an old pendulum clock. This is probably the same internal-combustion engine referred to by the American author and historian Henry Adams, who describes the "Daimler motor" and its great speed from his visit to the 1900 Paris Exposition in his autobiography. [4]
The first motorcycle (1885)

In November 1885, Daimler installed a smaller version of this engine in a wooden bicycle, creating the first motorcycle (Patent 36-423impff & Sohn "Vehicle with gas or petroleum drive machine"). It was named the "riding car" (Reitwagen). Maybach rode it for three kilometers (two miles) alongside the river Neckar, from Cannstatt to Untertürkheim, reaching 12 kilometres per hour (7 mph).

Also in 1885, but unknown to Maybach and Daimler, only sixty miles away in Mannheim, Karl Benz built the first true automobile using an integral design for a motorized vehicle with one of his own engines and he was granted a patent for his motorwagen dated January 29, 1886.

On March 8, 1886, Daimler and Maybach secretly brought a stagecoach made by Wilhelm Wafter into the house, telling the neighbors it was a birthday gift for Mrs. Daimler. Maybach supervised the installation of a larger 1.1 hp [3] 462 cc (28 cu in)[3] (70×120 mm, 2.76×4.72 in)[3] version of the Grandfather Clock engine into this stagecoach and it became the first four-wheeled vehicle to reach 16 kilometres per hour (10 mph). The engine power was transmitted by a set of belts. As with the motorcycle, it also was tested on the road to Untertürkheim where nowadays the Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion is situated.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:01 pm

RM,

Wow, speaking of historians ... I'm impressed! It's always amazing to me to read about the earliest engines, cars, bikes, etc. and how primitive and yet inventive they were. Thanks for your brief history of "Everything You Wanted To Know about Early Motorcycles But Were Afraid To Ask."

Back in 2001, I spotted this thing in a museum in Florence, Italy. I looked at it for a long time before realizing what it was, and, once I did, I couldn't stop laughing at the wonder of it. Can you figure it out?

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:52 pm

It looks like it wants to be a sundial, but I can't figure out how it works.

--John
(The cannon is too low to be a gnomon, unless the device is mounted vertically, and I don't know what the glass does. Maybe it's an alarm sundial and the magnifying glass can be set to light a charge in the cannon when the sun reaches the appropriate angle, but who needs an alarm clock when the sun is up? :idk: )
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Graybeard » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:47 am

Sundial that uses the magnifying glass to ignite the canon fuse and announce that it's Noon.
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:22 pm

John & Larry,

Excellent! It is, indeed, an "alarm clock." Whether it announces the arrival of noon or some other time wasn't obvious. But it looked extraordinarily effective in getting one's attention.

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Ride Stories