Up at dawn, back by noon

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Up at dawn, back by noon

Postby Kres » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:36 pm

Went nowhere that special today, just took a few shots to share...

Was up at 5, and out by 5:30. Lots of family stuff on tap for the day, but the weather was perfect, and I was in need of a ride. I rode for a good 45min in the pre-dawn twilight. Every stand of trees seemed to claw at the fog, gripping it like a blanket on a cold morning. Finally, the sun burst over the horizon, bathing my little piece of the world in a fantastic golden glow.

I stopped where I was and took a couple shots...

It's a great feeing to be the only one on the road. I saw exactly 4 cars & 4 tractors on my way out west. I'm programmed to head west towards the Shenandoah Mountains - they are my loadstones. Left to my own devices, I always find myself among them, as my default destination.

I had gotten up and out of the house with only a glass of water and a cold shower. So by the time I'd gotten 40 more twisty miles under my belt, I was hungry.

I stopped in Front Royal and caught a bite to eat at L Dee's Diner. A good friend of my grandfather had built and opened the place over 26 years ago. Both he and my grandfather are long gone - but I get a kick out of looking down at the floor and knowing exactly which tiles I put down on the floor, and which barstools that I spun myself sick on at the lunch counter. I snarfed down my Sausage gravy and biscuits {There is no cholesterol down memory lane don't ya know...} and made my way back on the bike to hit the Skyline Drive and take it down a few miles to an old standby road, Rt. 211.

I took a couple of quick snaps before rolling outta town

I buzzed up Skyline drive and immediately was swarmed by bicycles. Seems they like to get out early too. I wasn't in a hurry, so I just rumbled up the ridge, trying to keep them from getting them stuck in my spokes. Once I had out distanced them, I found an overlook with a great view and a patch of wild flowers

After this I settled into the seat for a long twisty, lazy roll over the ridge tops, down the mountain through Sperryville, and accross the Piedmont to Flint Hill. I spied there a fetching little house for sale.

This little place would be perfect for a B&B. Just look at that porch... *sigh* Someday I'll try to do one of the 40 things I'd rather be doing for a living.... someday...

I hopped back on the GS, and headed north towards Middleburg. I needed to make my way to Ashburn to pick up something for the wife, so I was drifting north by north east, picking and choosing old stand-by roads, and occasionally exploring new gravel trails. Ultimately I made it there for caffine and gasoline, in that order. As I pulled into a parking place on the street, a gentleman that was sweeping the sidewalk in front of his shop said to me in a thick German accent "Ah! A BMW! I'm glad to see them again. They still make Boxers, yaah?" We struck up a short conversation about the lineage of the boxers, and his lamenting the sale of his 1982 airhead. Saying my good byes, I crossed the street to get one of the best latte's in the DC area

The people watching is still top notch too...

I finished my latte, topped of the tank and explored a few gravel roads between Middleburg and Ashburn, finding this wonderful barn that had been converted into a cozy home

That's it. Nothing epic, but relaxing and fun.

Cheers!
Last edited by Kres on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kres
Kres
My other bike is a station wagon

Re: Up at dawn, back by noon

Postby Unity » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Very nice morning's work, Chris.

--John
(The Proctor-Biggs sign borrows readily on Ralston-Purina logo elements:
Image Image .)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Rick F. » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Kres,

Aha! Another ride report and another round of your beautiful photos!! I especially liked your early-morning-light barn picture. Keep 'em coming...

I'm envious that you know that area so well. I've ridden through various parts of it, but if I relied on my local knowledge and sense of direction, I'd still be out there going in circles.

The next time you're in Middleburg, however, I think you should get a full set of pictures of resident groups A, B, and C!

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Kres » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:53 am

Thanks Rick...

Where you going next? I'm feeming for a good report.
{Hey! The rest of ya! Ya, YOU! Go some place and bring us back some pictures!}
-Kres
Kres
My other bike is a station wagon

Postby Ron P » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:41 pm

Nice pictures and story!

As far as stories go, I'm waiting for a few pics from the Tail of the Dragon to arrive and I'll write up something about my Tennessee trip.
Be sincere, whether you mean it or not.
I.B.A #55796
Ron P
Chief Scribe

Postby Graybeard » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Very nice! THanks!
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard