Mountain Climbing in West Virginia

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Re: Mountain Climbing in West Virginia

Postby MrE » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Rick F. wrote:Mike,

Yikes--I'm not reassured by the idea that there are machines steered by such mechanisms actually running around out there! For public safety, they should just remain parked. I'm glad you and Young Son had a good time at the Berryville show (and lived to tell about it).

Rick F.

two of the steamies where hooked up to saw mills: one was a mill designed to cut cedar shakes, the other was the typical big round blade spinning and cutting 14-18" oak logs into 1" thick boards. The neat part was that you could get way too close for safety's sake to both the steam engines and the mills. Sawdust, chips, steam, water spray, oil, you name it.

I think there is a steam engine show in MD near Thurmont around Oktoberfest time. I've never been interested but I'll probably check it out one of these days.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby wiredcur » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:53 am

Rick F. wrote:
Flash! wrote:=D> =D> Absolutely beautiful pictures. I love the old abandoned houses. We passed so many on our road trip West, but were on 40 rather than old 66, and didn't stop to take any pictures. Next year!

BTW, I agree with Nancy--clematis. We have one just like that that covers our mailbox each spring. They're lovely.

Jody

Jody,

Some day I'll have to stop taking pictures of all the old abandoned houses--but, for now, I just can't help myself. I wonder who used to live in them, what happened that led to their abandonment, whether it would be possible to fix them back up, etc. Plus, the texture of the wood, stone, broken glass, etc. is very interesting visually.

BTW, you get second prize for the clematis identification. As soon as I invent a prize for Kitty, I'll start working on one for you!

Rick F.

Beth loves seeing old abandoned houses... to the point of wanting to stop and explore them. So far, we've only done it once. However, coming back from Myrtle Beach last week, we followed 17 all the way to 301. There were a lot of possibilities along that stretch.
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby Bicyclist » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:45 pm

MrE wrote:I think there is a steam engine show in MD near Thurmont around Oktoberfest time. I've never been interested but I'll probably check it out one of these days.

Yep, it's in Wolfeville at the town park. Some steam, more gas; a lot of old hit and miss engines and lots of scale models of old engines. I was surprised to learn that old washing machines were powered by a little gas engine that used a foot lever as a kick starter.

Lovely report as usual, Rick. I look at old buildings, wonder about their history and imagine their potential.
George

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
Bicyclist
A.K.A. SANTA!!!

Postby Unity » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Rick F. wrote:
Unity wrote:
Flash! wrote:I agree with Nancy--clematis. We have one just like that that covers our mailbox each spring. They're lovely.

It's aways a challenge to pronounce the name correctly -- is it cleMATis or CLEMatis? The horticulture snobs choose the latter.

I like the split-split-split house -- fully unconstrained vernacular architecture. :)

--John

John,

My wife says it's CLEMatis, but I'll side with the majority. I guess that makes her a horticulture snob. (And to confirm that verdict, she says clematis is the original ancient Greek name for this plant.)

As for the "unconstrained vernacular architecture"--I doff my cap at your expansive knowledge of buildings, architecture, and terminology. (Unless, of course, you meant "unconstrained vertical architecture," in which case I undoff my cap and merely congratulate you for your inventiveness!)

Rick F.

:oops: It didn't occur to me that I was using inscrutable jargon. :oops:

Answers.com wrote:vernacular

n.
1. The standard native language of a country or locality.
2. (a) The everyday language spoken by a people as distinguished from the literary language. See synonyms at dialect.
(b) A variety of such everyday language specific to a social group or region: the vernaculars of New York City.
3. The idiom of a particular trade or profession: in the legal vernacular.
4. An idiomatic word, phrase, or expression.
5. The common, nonscientific name of a plant or animal.

adj.
1. Native to or commonly spoken by the members of a particular country or region.
2. Using the native language of a region, especially as distinct from the literary language: a vernacular poet.
3. Relating to or expressed in the native language or dialect.

4. Of or being an indigenous building style using local materials and traditional methods of construction and ornament, especially as distinguished from academic or historical architectural styles.
5. Occurring or existing in a particular locality; endemic: a vernacular disease.
6. Relating to or designating the common, nonscientific name of a plant or animal.

[From Latin vernāculus, native, from verna, native slave, perhaps of Etruscan origin.]

Another way of saying it would be ad hoc, home-grown architecture.

--John
(Having toiled 30 years in the historic preservation art, maybe I'm sort of a historic preservation snob. :oops: )
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby niceboyz77 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm

The abandon building with the lilly pads was a place called industrial magnesium. It closed its doors in 1957 and was purchased by the united states government in 2003. Also i would be happy to show anyone around preston county. I am a native of Terra Alta. I would also be happy to try to answer any questions you have about the area.
niceboyz77

Postby biometrics » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Rick, once again an enjoyable read and great photos.

Your trip reports are the "coffee table book" of this website! :D

Thanks, -John
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Postby Rick F. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:16 pm

niceboyz77 wrote:The abandon building with the lilly pads was a place called industrial magnesium. It closed its doors in 1957 and was purchased by the united states government in 2003. Also i would be happy to show anyone around preston county. I am a native of Terra Alta. I would also be happy to try to answer any questions you have about the area.

NB,

Thanks very much for the information about the old factory. It does make you wonder what our friendly government folks are up to. (Counter-terrorist training activities is my guess.)

I really enjoyed Terra Alta--it was a fascinating place. Know any "don't miss" spots around there that I should look for the next time I'm in the area?

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:18 pm

biometrics wrote:Rick, once again an enjoyable read and great photos.

Your trip reports are the "coffee table book" of this website! :D

Thanks, -John

John,

Hey, I'm really glad you enjoyed the report!

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Ride Stories