GW Forest on my KLR650

Tell Us About Your Rides!

GW Forest on my KLR650

Postby patrick1moon » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:10 pm

I just got back from a Solo overnight camp trip to the GW forest. It was off of US33 In Virginia just before you get to the West Virginia border. Dunkle hollow RD is where I camped near the Switzer Lake.

There are so many forest roads in that area that you will run out of daylight before you run out of trails and Forest Roads to explore.

I loaded my KLR650 down with my camping gear (Probably over packed even though I forgot some stuff) and headed out on Saturday afternoon. It took me just a little over 2 hours to get there from Fredericksburg VA. I had just enough time to go look for some firewood and start setting up my tent before it got dark. I should have left way earlier but I was busy working on my bike as well as packing and prep.

The next morning after not much sleep thanks to forgetting my sleeping pad and having a very thin sleeping bag, I packed up and started exploring. I ended up exploring North of US33 and checking out the area where the Public ATV trails are. I followed Forest Road 72 & Long Run RD which is a very nice dirt and rocky road. By nice I mean lots of fun for off-road riding. There were plenty of water breaks and rocks and dirt. I ended up dumping my bike into a mud hole while trying to avoid it. It was an off camber section of road and just after a water break. I was going to slow and it dumped. I had to take off my tail bag and gear in order to tip the bike back up. Not too much damage other than a lot of mud and a loose mirror.

Anyway I did about a 20 Mile loop in the forest and then headed out for my trip back home. I was originally planning on doing two nights but because I had so little sleep the night before I was exhausted and didn't want to do another night. Plus my back hurt from lying on rocks all night.

No Pics as I didn’t remember to bring a camera. Although I took the middle section of Skyline Drive back and got to see a Bear on the side of the road just ignoring everyone as they stopped to take photos.

Things forgot or what I would pack next time:
Sleeping Pad, Pillow, Camera, Book to read at night, Some Motrin and Allergy meds, I would also Subtract some gear as well Each trip is a learning experience.

All said it was about 350 miles worth or so. I want to go again with a better choice of gear. I have off in the middle of next week (Aug 12-15) and would like to go for two nights. It will probably a Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday trip.

If anyone wants to join me that would be great. :banana:

I will probably post a Ride Trip in that section of the Forum to see if any VA/WV/MD people want to join as well.

:D :)
2010 Red Low Frame R1200GS
2013 Red Honda CRF250L
patrick1moon
Frequent Poster

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:22 pm

No pics?
Dough Boy

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:03 am

Dough Boy wrote:No pics?

No Pics as I didn’t remember to bring a camera.

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Re: GW Forest on my KLR650

Postby RocketMan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:30 am

patrick1moon wrote:I just got back from a Solo overnight camp trip to the GW forest. It was off of US33 In Virginia just before you get to the West Virginia border. Dunkle hollow RD is where I camped near the Switzer Lake.

<snip> I was going to slow and it dumped. I had to take off my tail bag and gear in order to tip the bike back up. ]Not too much damage other than a lot of mud and a loose mirror.

<snip>

Ah, Ha! The dreaded KLR Mirror failure! I've heard a lot of reports of this happening, and BMW owners think they have a problem with final drive failures, sheeh, that's nothing compared to those KLR Mirror Failures! I mean, think about it, how can one possibly proceed with a loose mirror! Glad you were able to get it towed back home without incident, be sure to register with the KLR Mirror failure class action suit! :lol:

RM

(can you tell I'm getting tired of the pissy bitch sessions on the MOA of late?? Ha Ha!)
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby DogHouse » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:58 am

JimVonBaden wrote:
Dough Boy wrote:No pics?

No Pics as I didn’t remember to bring a camera.

Reading is hard

05 R1200GS
97 Craftsman 19hp Riding Mower 42" cut
DogHouse
What? Again? Oy

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:29 am

RocketMan wrote:
patrick1moon wrote:I just got back from a Solo overnight camp trip to the GW forest. It was off of US33 In Virginia just before you get to the West Virginia border. Dunkle hollow RD is where I camped near the Switzer Lake.

<snip> I was going to slow and it dumped. I had to take off my tail bag and gear in order to tip the bike back up. ]Not too much damage other than a lot of mud and a loose mirror.

<snip>

Ah, Ha! The dreaded KLR Mirror failure! I've heard a lot of reports of this happening, and BMW owners think they have a problem with final drive failures, sheeh, that's nothing compared to those KLR Mirror Failures! I mean, think about it, how can one possibly proceed with a loose mirror! Glad you were able to get it towed back home without incident, be sure to register with the KLR Mirror failure class action suit! :lol:

RM

(can you tell I'm getting tired of the pissy bitch sessions on the MOA of late?? Ha Ha!)

Sorry to have added to it. :oops:

JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby patrick1moon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:28 am

RocketMan wrote:Ah, Ha! The dreaded KLR Mirror failure! I've heard a lot of reports of this happening, and BMW owners think they have a problem with final drive failures, sheeh, that's nothing compared to those KLR Mirror Failures! I mean, think about it, how can one possibly proceed with a loose mirror! Glad you were able to get it towed back home without incident, be sure to register with the KLR Mirror failure class action suit! :lol:

RM

Yeah, I already filed my paperwork. I am #53245690 in line :lol: so i expect to hear something back soon. In the mean time I think I will just use my cresent wrench to adjust it back the way it was. :D

Meanwhile my RT1200 is sad :cry: .... I have been neglecting her. I suppose I can give her some seat time this week :P
2010 Red Low Frame R1200GS
2013 Red Honda CRF250L
patrick1moon
Frequent Poster

Postby RocketMan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:18 am

JimVonBaden wrote:
RocketMan wrote:

<snip>

RM

Sorry to have added to it. :oops:

ha Ha! What funny/sad about it all is that its not so much the threads about BMW failures, its all the other ones like about the 08 rally site selection that just went on and on.....and those idiot posts about all the other non-bike related crap and people providing "expert" financial advice, like I read the MOA forums to find out where to invest my money! Ha Ha! As Buggys Bunny would say "What a bunch of Marons!"

RM

"The MOA forums tried to change me into a Newt, but I got better!" :lol:
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories