Kitty batted me around like a 3 legged mouse today.

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Kitty batted me around like a 3 legged mouse today.

Postby sundaeman » Sat May 31, 2008 5:59 pm

and sometimes a DNF isn't all that bad after all.

So, this years Hunt litter was sent out into the big wide world. I was full of myself, running a good pace for the 1st 5 stops. Clocks say I'm doing good, I'm paying attention to my paperwork, then fate goes HAAAAAH! and my time starts burning up.

I'm now on a zero slack schedule and need to think dumping locations from the list. So, I manage to gain some slack again and get greedy, It's only a few miles :) to the nearest location so, I end up being a bit sloppy and go negative again! Toss in one more mistake and a bit of bad luck and I'm hosed on time, with my GPS showing me being 17 minutes and rising past DNF after hitting my (now) last location just 2 minutes behind.

I happen to be under 10 miles from home (makes the total vs. technical DNF more tempting), so I figure I'll DNF with a nice beverage since I'm not spending the night at West-Mar. Following the rules & common courtesy, I go to my bike after garaging it a few minutes earlier, grab Kitty's number from the rally pack in the side case and leave a message. Then I put the pack back in the side case and notice this...

Image Image Image

The antenna mount screws had worked themselves loose/gone and the gap between the plates is a bad sign. Guess the manicured streets of DC and Downtown Baltimore were a bit rougher than MoGoCo and Howard county stretches I hit most of the time. :shock:

Kitty, thanks for a fun and interesting adventure.

My ice is melting :gulp:
2006 R1200RT-P

"Who is John Galt?"
sundaeman
Unhappily Ranked

Postby endobobdds » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:32 pm

Sorry you had some problems! It was in deed a fun outing and Nancy is to be congratulated for a well run event! The directions were extremely accurate, challenging and fun, fun fun! :lol:
Bob Smyth
'18 GSA, Triple Black
'04 K1200RS (Blue/White)
'02 K1200RS (Black - retired :cry: )
endobobdds
Board Guru

Postby Firebird » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:40 pm

Don't feel too bad, I came in next to dead last. I dumped so many locations to try to get back before 3:30, but Mother Nature had other plans for me. Just call me the rain harbringer (?). It seems like I rode in rain such as what happened on Saturday when I was coming back home from Memphis. Wait a minute, I did ride in rain like Saturday when I was coming back home from Memphis a couple weeks ago. :roll: Oh, did I mention that I'm not a morning person? :lol:
Firebird

Postby BMWGirl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:13 am

Joel -

sorry you had problems! There's always next year! :lol:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby sundaeman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:09 am

No need to feel sorry for me folks (but, thanks). While I did catch a few bad breaks, I ultimately screwed the proverbial pooch. The upside was the impending antenna debacle never achieved critical mass.

One big lesson re-learned TWICE on Saturday, was when you know the area and your route is hosed, go with your gut vs. "Guidance by Garmin". #-o When your in an area with a high intersection/exit density, a GPS just can't keep up sometimes and you need to make your own decisions.
2006 R1200RT-P

"Who is John Galt?"
sundaeman
Unhappily Ranked

Postby Bauer » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:08 pm

I would have killed to be home on Saturday. Since I was working the rally, I didn't think it would be nice to leave for lunch, so therefore, Günter takes the truck to the German place in Hagarstown and all my clothes and rum and diet's are in the back of the truck, so I froze to death during the torrential storms until he got back! I don't blame you one bit Joel! I don't do "icky weather" on a bike.
Günter & Christine (a.k.a. Tigger - T.I. double grrrrrr)
2004 Artic White R1200C & 1994 Red K1100LT
----------------------------
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Bauer
Dirty Rally Girl

Return to Ride Stories