George Washington Slept Here (and Here, and Here, and...)

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Postby RocketMan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:58 am

i believe it was the North River that you crossed on that bridge see this link

Owl Hollow road in the center of the this map the red cross in the center of the map sits on the brdige on Owl Hollow Road where it crosses over the North River.

from topozone.com that has the USGS quadtrangle map set.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Graybeard » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:14 pm

Ted wrote:Yet another excellent report, I know I say that every time but every time it is true. If you were ever to find a great cause and arrange an auction of a days ride I would gladly bid quite enthusiastically.

+1
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Re: George Washington Slept Here (and Here, and Here, and...

Postby Rick F. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:31 pm

BMRGirl wrote:
Rick F. wrote:Along the way, there were some magnificent overlooks...

Rick - excellent report!!!! I love the pics -but this is my favorite - that yellow just stands out and looks great!!!

Thanks for sharing the report!!

Tina,

Thanks for the kind comments. That was a great spot. There's a small ledge about 6' below the road, where someone has set up a picnic table. Talk about a great spot for a picnic lunch, just gazing out on that view!

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Ted wrote:Yet another excellent report, I know I say that every time but every time it is true. If you were ever to find a great cause and arrange an auction of a days ride I would gladly bid quite enthusiastically.

Ted,

Thanks! I'm quickly accumulating a list of folks who have expressed an interest in going for a ride with me, and I would enjoy doing so. You're right up at the top of that list. My problem is that I often don't decide until fairly late in a week where to go (e.g., like the night before). However, I want to figure this out, since it would be a lot of fun to connect with you, Maria, Michelle, and the others who sound vaguely tolerant of compulsive picture taking.

Stay tuned, and I'll see what I can do!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:39 pm

Bauer wrote:Cool Rick, you were riding where our 10 acres is, in Slanesville near Owl Hollow Rd.

Christine,

Very cool--that's a great area. I read about Slanesville on the web whilst researching the history of that area. Owl Hollow Road seems to wander around all through the Slanesville and Forks of Cacapon areas, ending in one place and just starting up in another. (It's a wonder you can find your way home!)

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 pm

RocketMan wrote:
Rick F. wrote:

Regarding where the heck Forks of Cacapon is actually located, it looks like you and I went through very much the same process and even used the same Internet source. I didn't realize that someone had made the location of this "town" a rally item. How devious can you get? But the intersection of Loy Road and the "cut through" is exactly the center of the original downtown area, as best I could tell.

And you're right--the spot marked on the Zumo was different from the spot marked by Google Maps, and both differed from what my ancient WV highway map showed. And none of them identified the right spot, as you showed in your picture! Go figure...

Rick F.

PS--I hope you got full points for finding the true Forks!

heck who hasn't been to the forks of Cacapon! but have you ever been to the Spoons of Cacapon, Huh? Well, have you??? :lol:

Guess I'm either going to have to get those knobbies on my LT or go hang out somewhere's else if you keep this up, Rick. :lol:

RM

RocketMan wrote:and you probably thought I was kidding about the Spoons of Cacapon, weren't you?

Well guess what ...

here they are ...(well one anyway...) :shock:

you can read about them/it here

Spoon of Cacapon (Bridge)

:lol:

RM

RM,

Thanks--now I know not only about the "Spoons of Cacapon" but also the "Knives"! I was baffled there for a while, so I'm glad you explained. Also, I couldn't stop reading the archeological report that you referred to--really interesting.

Finally, let me know as soon as you get the knobbies on the ol' LT. I'll hitch a ride with you on the goat trail that leads to Caudy's Castle, since I don't think my GS would make it...

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:54 pm

RocketMan wrote:i believe it was the North River that you crossed on that bridge see this link

Owl Hollow road in the center of the this map the red cross in the center of the map sits on the brdige on Owl Hollow Road where it crosses over the North River.

from topozone.com that has the USGS quadtrangle map set.

RM

RM,

You're 100% right (but tell anyone that I told you). Not only that, but your topo map is the only map of any kind that I've seen (paper, electronic, etc.) that actually shows Forks of Cacapon in the correct place! (John's is close, but yours is exact.) I've bookmarked the USGS site for extensive future reference...

Rick F.
Last edited by Rick F. on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:55 pm

Graybeard wrote:

+1

Larry,

You're hereby added to the list!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Ride Stories