Killiansburg Caves (or "Next Time Bring a Flashlight!)

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Killiansburg Caves (or "Next Time Bring a Flashlight!)

Postby Rick F. » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:39 pm

Somehow, between bad weather and a never-ending sinus infection, I hadn't gotten out for a ride since just after Thanksgiving. Thus, as Sunday, January 27th, approached, I was more than ready to get going. The weather forecast was for scattered morning snow showers and a high of about 35 degrees.

My goal for the day was to find the Killiansburg Caves along the C & O Canal. I read about them in A Guide to Civil War Sites in Maryland, and they apparently sheltered a number of townspeople from Sharpsburg during the Battle of Antietam.

Before getting underway, I had to get the GS over a 6' long patch of thick ice that bordered my neighbor's garage where I keep the bike. That involved wrestling the thing around 180 degrees within a narrow space so that I could coast downhill over the ice (without touching the brakes) rather than backing down the slight incline. It all worked out okay, fortunately, and I even got warmed up in the process.

Once underway, I slabbed it to Jefferson and then followed MD 180 to Knoxville. Along the way were numerous wintry scenes, naturally, and I got to exercise the camera after my long layoff. Not a lot of farming going on here at the moment, as best I could tell:

I hadn't been in Knoxville, MD, for probably 30 years, and I'd forgotten what a picturesque little town it is. This house was a jumble of contrasts, between its lived-in back section (with smoke coming out of the chimney) and its front section that was rather less hospitable. Plus, a 150-year-old house with not one but two satellite dishes in the side yard. I'm not sure why the end of the house was all torn up. I suspect it involved Fortunato and a cask of amontillado...

I went looking for the Weverton area, near the intersection of 340 and 67, and found it without too much trouble. On Keep Tryst Road (don't you love it?), I stopped to get a picture of this double arch...

...and when I returned to the GS, I realized that I'd parked next to the remnants of some Tragic American Family Story. I have no idea why so many clothes were strewn about, but it must have been interesting.

Nearby, I found Lock 31 on the C & O Canal, together with its surviving lockhouse.

Along Valley Road, a one-arch, single-lane, stone bridge appeared over Israel Creek. Fun to look at, but it had a nasty big patch of thick ice covering part of the center line. No problem, since it was quite apparent, but it was a good reminder that not every section of every road was clear of ice and snow.

I spent nearly the whole day on out-of-the-way little roads like this one. Just what I needed after a two-month layoff from riding.

On my way to Sharpsburg, this frozen pond appeared, complete with ominous spidery breaks in the ice.

Did I mention that the roads were narrow and remote? This fellow wasn't too ominous-looking but did take quite an interest in a tall yellow motorcycle with a tall picture-takin' rider.

Approaching Sharpsburg, I spotted Burnside's Bridge off in the distance--but that wasn't my destination.

On the other side of Sharpsburg, at Snyder's Landing, I finally reached the Potomac and the start of my search for the Killiansburg Caves.

To get there required either (i) hiking a mile on foot on the snow-covered C & O Canal towpath, or (ii) sneaking the GS onto the towpath and riding there. I'll let you all decide which option I chose...

After the duly appointed mile, I found the first of the caves. It was set back a ways from the towpath, on the far side of the (dry) Canal. With a bulky set of winter riding gear, I could still get into the opening without scraping the sides and ceiling all at the same time--but not by much.

Notice the elegant little blue-ice stalagmite near the entrance. In contrast to the actual stalactites and stalagmites, this one probably didn't take 100,000 years to form.

I went into the cave for about 15 feet before it dawned on me that I hadn't brought a flashlight... (Duh!) I went another 15 feet or so using the flash on my trusty Canon camera, and the cave looked like it continued for easily another 30 feet. Further exploration will have to wait for warmer weather and more light, however.

Back on the towpath, another cave appeared along with evidence of a sustained higher water level, somewhere back in the eons.

A bit further, I found the "official" Killiansburg Caves--all three of them. If you look carefully, one of them appears as a "window" about 20 feet above another cave entrance at ground level.

The entrance to this one was quite narrow and steep, before the cave plunged back downhill. It also appeared to continue on for quite some distance.

Here's a ground-level view of Yr Fearless Explorer standing bravely outside the entrance to the first of the K. Caves. It went only a short distance before being blocked off my a rockfall.

I'm guessing that these caves were all formed by the flow of water from the hilltops down through the rock formations. Evidence in support of this theory was plentiful (if frozen):

After hiking (or was it riding?) back from the caves, I returned to Sharpsburg and set off to find more Civil War sites. My guide book pointed out this large brick house that was set well back from Route 34. The Stephen Grove farm, "Mount Airy," served as a hospital for both the Union and Confederate wounded after the battle and was visited by Abraham Lincoln.

Across Route 34, the original Antietam railroad station remains. It used to have a nifty monument made of cannon barrels and cannonballs, but it's long gone.

Just before the bridge over the Potomac into Shepherdstown was Ferry Hill Place, the home of Col. Henry Kyd Douglas, author of I Rode With Stonewall. The house was built in 1812 and served, for a time, as a National Parks headquarters for the C & O Canal. Depending on who you believe, Col. Douglas's father either (i) sent signals to the Confederate forces on the West Virginia side of the river from this house or (ii) had the misfortune of having shutters blow open, revealing the light inside, while Union troops were watching. Either way, he was arrested and spent a couple of months imprisoned at Fort McHenry in Baltimore.

Col. Douglas, a dashing if somewhat Goth figure:

By now it was about 2:00 PM, and I'd been on the road/towpath/etc. since 8:30 AM. Hesitating no further, I motored into Shepherdstown for a 3-donut lunch at the Shepherdstown Bakery. There, I bumped into another idiot--I mean another motorcyclist--who had braved the cold weather and snow flurries to go for a ride.

Bob and I chatted a bit about routes, Gerbings gear, etc., and after lunch he joined me for a portion of my return ride. Here we've stopped at the iron furnace at what used to be Antietam Village, dating back to the mid-1700s. It was used, among other things, to make cannonballs for the Revolutionary War.

Bob was riding this Moto-Guzzi (the Italian BMW, according to some). He didn't have any heated gear or grips, so he was stopping pretty regularly to warm his hands on the cylinder heads!

We rode together along Canal and Limekiln Roads before he headed down Harpers Ferry road to return to College Park, while I went north on more assorted back roads. Along my way, I passed this once-proud farm. Could that be a motorcycle in the shed on the left, with rusting Jesse bags? Maybe Bob Higdon's very first bike??

Nah, it was some weird farm implement, a-moulderin' in the shed.

Did I mention the beautiful little roads I was on?

Everywhere I rode, there were semi-frozen streams like this one. Whoever said "there is beauty in Nature" certainly had it right.

I eventually ended up on Crow Rock Road and then Hamburg Road, northwest of Frederick. I thought I'd never been on these roads before, but then I came across a little pond and remembered it from an early trip on my F650CS. When I looked more carefully, I realized that there were some guys playing hockey on the ice, presumably avoiding those ominous, black, spidery-shaped openings...

As I continued on Hamburg Road toward home, I spotted a single headlight in my rear view mirrors, some distance back but gaining on me. Egads--there is yet a third idiot/frozen motorcyclist out here today, I thought. As the rider caught up to me, I waved him on by--and realized that it was another R1200GS with vario sidecases. He made rapid work of the narrow, twisting, boulder-lined road and disappeared from sight. At the end, however, I encountered him again when he turned around to do it all in the opposite direction!

May it always be such.

Rick F.

PS: The temperature never went above 35 degrees, but it never snowed. Roundtrip was 180 miles and 8 hours of pure fun.
Last edited by Rick F. on Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:01 am

Fantastic winter shots Rick! Make sure you select a few to submit for next year's calander.

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Graybeard » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:54 am

Excellent read, Rick! Thanks!
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Postby Bauer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:14 am

You are just way too cool and get some awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.
Günter & Christine (a.k.a. Tigger - T.I. double grrrrrr)
2004 Artic White R1200C & 1994 Red K1100LT
----------------------------
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Bauer
Dirty Rally Girl

Re: Killiansburg Caves (or "Next Time Bring a Flashligh

Postby Unity » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:48 pm

Rick F. wrote:Image

Interesting theme. :wink:

I don't know about Col. Douglas's father, but border intrigue is an old family tradition, nurtured in the continual warring over the Scottish-English borderlands.

Just a guess, the Antietam RR station cannonbarrel-and-cannonball monument may have ended up in a "private collection."

Nice return to the travelogs, Rick. :D

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby eap » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:20 pm

Very enjoyable Rick - thanks....
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby Banshee » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:15 am

eap wrote:Very enjoyable Rick - thanks....

I agree! thanks Rick.
Banshee
Board Wizard

Postby markf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:25 pm

Those caves look soooo cool. Are they close to the rally site? Is access at all controlled or frowned upon?
markf

Re: Killiansburg Caves (or "Next Time Bring a Flashligh

Postby Rick F. » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:17 pm

Jim, Larry, Christine, eap, & Holley,

Thanks for the positive feedback--I'm glad you enjoyed the write-up. It was sort of an ad hoc trip and proved to be lots of fun.

Unity wrote:Interesting theme. :wink:

--John

John,

Thanks for pointing out the "arches" theme that showed up in a number of the pictures. I'd like to take credit for such artistic foresight and design--but I hadn't even noticed it!

markf wrote:Those caves look soooo cool. Are they close to the rally site? Is access at all controlled or frowned upon?

Mark,

Google Maps says it's about 30 miles from Thurmont to Taylor's Landing (just outside of Antietam). From Taylor's Landing, it's about a one mile walk to the caves. Sounds convenient enough, I'd say.

The several caves that I saw appeared to be on the C & O Canal National Park property, and there weren't any signs saying "keep out," "danger," or "don't come crying to us when you get stuck in there." There's apparently one more cave a little further on, which I didn't realize, and my C & O Canal book indicates that it's on private property. The first cave pictured, incidentally, is 120' deep (based on an Internet site I found). I didn't run across any reference to chambers in these caves, just passageways (some of them interconnecting).

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories