Pikes Peak

Put Together a Ride, Find Riding Partners, Ask Ride Advice

Pikes Peak

Postby BchrisL » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:22 pm

I was toying with the mapping software the last couple of days. I plugged in Pikes Peak and Manassas and hit go. It is about 1500 miles one way. I think it could be done comfortably in a week. The road to the summit is toll and costs, I think $10 per motorcycle with one rider.

Has anyone out ther done this ride?

I got on plans no dates no premissions :wink: just a nagging idea in my head that won't go away.
BchrisL

Postby Unity » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:45 pm

You could do a BB on the way out and a BB Gold on the way back. :wink:

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Dave K1200LT » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:09 pm

Unity wrote:You could do a BB on the way out and a BB Gold on the way back. :wink:

--John 8)

I was thinking the same thing. :)
"Big Dave"
Dave K1200LT
Board Guru

save your time and money!

Postby tytreat » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Forget Pikes Peak....honestly, been there a few times, and each time it's les and less pretty! The top is littered with trash and it's not that breathtaking. Head a bit further west, and take the roads into and out of Ouray. So much more breathtaking and you can get up over 12000 feet. If you are really daring take the Ophir pass and get over 13000. Pike peak is just a tourist mecca now, and they are even paving most of the road to the top! Anyway, just my opinion.
tytreat

Re: save your time and money!

Postby BchrisL » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:08 am

tytreat wrote:Forget Pikes Peak....honestly, been there a few times, and each time it's les and less pretty! The top is littered with trash and it's not that breathtaking. Head a bit further west, and take the roads into and out of Ouray. So much more breathtaking and you can get up over 12000 feet. If you are really daring take the Ophir pass and get over 13000. Pike peak is just a tourist mecca now, and they are even paving most of the road to the top! Anyway, just my opinion.

Good! this is just the sort of feedback I was looking for. Thanks. :D
BchrisL

Postby TRawls » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:57 am

I am moving out to the Denver area (Castle Rock) day after tomorrow, so keep in touch cause by next spring I'll know all the roads out in that neck of the woods.

TRawls
TRawls

Postby DiscoPete » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Is that Pike's Peak in the background of the photograph??

My parents used to talk of a trip to Pike's Peak during a vacation that that I was too young to remember clearly, so I'm guessing on this.
From looking at maps, that might be the western side of the mountain.

I've been thinking of taking a trip out there to see if I can find the spot where this picture was taken. It would be a strange trip if it turned out that Pike's Peak was not the mountain in the picture. #-o
Last edited by DiscoPete on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Pete
DiscoPete
Board Guru

Postby Blaster229 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:16 pm

I am off the whole month of Dec. Was thinking of hitting the road the 3rd week. Somewhere, who knows.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby tytreat » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:29 pm

Also, you can take a ride on "The Million Dollar Highway!" down to Silverton. Breathtaking area, thankfully my folks have a place out there, been all through the area in my jeeps. Some roads (trails for lack of a better term) are tough, but worth the adventure. Haven't taken teh Adventure through the trails yet, but something smaller would be a blast. I keep eyeing the wife's 650 thinking about the last time I was at ophir pas......MM....snow, shale, and cold! FUN!
tytreat

Postby tytreat » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:31 pm

Want a truly great ride? Plug in Redlodge, Montana. Look in to the Bear Tooth Pass! Pictures will say it all!
tytreat

Re:

Postby DiscoPete » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:26 am

DiscoPete wrote:Is that Pike's Peak in the background of the photograph??

My parents used to talk of a trip to Pike's Peak during a vacation that that I was too young to remember clearly, so I'm guessing on this.
From looking at maps, that might be the western side of the mountain.

I've been thinking of taking a trip out there to see if I can find the spot where this picture was taken. It would be a strange trip if it turned out that Pike's Peak was not the mountain in the picture. #-o

Ah, the marvels of advancing technology! Google Street View enabled me to answer my own question. That is indeed Pikes Peak in the background and the 1951 photo was taken on the Pikes Peak Toll Road, NW of Crystal Creek Reservoir. The forest has grown back over the last 64 years.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9151932 ... 56!5m1!1e4
-Pete
DiscoPete
Board Guru

Return to Organize a Ride!