Potomac Backroads Ride 05/29/04

Put Together a Ride, Find Riding Partners, Ask Ride Advice

Potomac ride

Postby Shane R1100GS » Sun May 30, 2004 11:37 am

Here are a few picks from the Potomac ride.

One of the many stops along the way.

Thats the Potomac down below.

We made it there around 6:00pm.

Fairfax Stone.

It's hard to believe that this is the begining of the Potomac.

I had a great time on the ride yesterday. Man that was a long ride! I left my house at 7:30am and didn't get home until 11:30pm. I thought I would be hurting today but I feel fine. I can't believe Jim's gonna do another long ride today. I hope you have another good ride today Jim.

shane
Shane R1100GS
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun May 30, 2004 10:57 pm

Hi Guys,

The picture posting will have to wait until tomorrow. I just got back from a second 15+ hour day and I am pooped! :oops:

Thanks again for the great ride!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Ted » Sun May 30, 2004 11:52 pm

I know the curve of that river - Rt.9 just above Berkeley Springs?
Wish I could have joined y'all!
Image TedV
Moto Pages
'94 K75RT
"There's No Old Road ... That Doesn't Have Something Interesting On It" -- RickF
BMWBMW MoTY - 1996
Ted
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon May 31, 2004 7:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Since Shane did such a great job of providing pictures, I only have a couple to add.

The group shot came out very well. You can see Jeff (RocketMan) on the left front, Me on the right front, John (JKerech) on the right rear and Shane (ShaneR1150R) on the rear left.

I had a great day with these guys, even if I did let myself get a little carried away on the twisties towards the end of the ride.

Nice shot of the Car/bike show we ran into and visited while waiting on the road to clear from an accident.

A picture of the Potomac "river" at the source.

One of the more scenic views of our trip.

Our group with bikes. Shane's father rides the R1200CL. Nice guy, too bad he had to get back early.

Last, my view of the headwaters.

Like I said, we had a great time. Thanks to Jeff for his patience and excellent giudance on the trip! :D

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

re:

Postby Banshee » Mon May 31, 2004 11:00 pm

Sounds like you guys had an excellent ride and what great weather too! Nice pics :)
Banshee
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:00 pm

Yeah it was an awsume ride! I logged 515 miles and 17 hours, with nearly 12 in the saddle. next I want to head down to the headwaters of the southern branch in Blue Grass Va.

Here's a link to a real time image of the Dolly Sods WV highland area we were in.

http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1.html#

Great ride guys enjoyed the company, lets ride again soon. Somke Hole is another great destination in WV. The only gorge in our area, where the southern branch of the Potomac cuts though.

http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1.html#

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:38 pm

Yeah it was an awsume ride! I logged 515 miles and 17 hours, with nearly 12 in the saddle. next I want to head down to the headwaters of the southern branch in Blue Grass Va.

Sounds good to me! Just say when and I'll be there. :D

We could start a new thread if we decide to do this as a group.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby jkerechek » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:41 pm

Count me in also.
jkerechek

BTS Article

Postby MrE » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:41 pm

So who is going to write the article for BTS? Deadline for submission is usually the 13th but ping editor@bmwbmw.org for exact guidance.

Always looking for good articles on riding.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Re: BTS Article

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:58 pm

mrenloe wrote:So who is going to write the article for BTS? Deadline for submission is usually the 13th but ping editor@bmwbmw.org for exact guidance.

For which ride or event?

I'd be willing to put something together, but it would be cool if we had some variety, and a plug for the Forum.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby RocketMan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:12 pm

JVonBaden wrote:

Sounds good to me! Just say when and I'll be there. :D

We could start a new thread if we decide to do this as a group.

Jim 8)

Well actually I'll be heading down to Seneca Rocks, located near both smoke hole and Blue Grass, the second weekend after the Thurmont Rally for a small gathering of the /5 United group, from Friday thru Sun. While it's mostly consists of old /5's riders (the bikes not nessacarily the riders!), everyone and anyone is welcome. No registration fees or structered events really, just a small gathering of folks, maybe 15-20 /5's, camping at the Princcess Snowbird campground at Yokums or staying in the small motel right next to the campground. both blue grass and smoke hole are right in the area, and on Sat. night there is a bluegrass festival in, where else, Bluegrass, Va. anyone who wants come on down just shout and I'll give you more info, but in any case I'll be checking out Smoke Hole Road and roads around Blue Grass Va. and then I'll have a better idea of conditions and times, if we did a day ride down there, hopefully not as long a ride as Sat.! :lol:

RM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:18 pm

JVonBaden wrote:
mrenloe wrote:So who is going to write the article for BTS? Deadline for submission is usually the 13th but ping editor@bmwbmw.org for exact guidance.

For which ride or event?

I'd be willing to put something together, but it would be cool if we had some variety, and a plug for the Forum.

Jim 8)

I'd be willing to put my two cents in, course I'm not a member of bmwbmw, but that's another story. As Jim can tell you, I'm fairly handy with a pen, well keyboard, anyway! :lol:
RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:19 pm

JVonBaden wrote:

For which ride or event?

Jim 8)

I'd be willing to put my two cents in, course I'm not a member of bmwbmw, but that's another story. As Jim can tell you, I'm fairly handy with a pen, well keyboard, anyway! :lol:
RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:20 pm

if we did a day ride down there, hopefully not as long a ride as Sat.!

I agree. Though I had a very good time, that was a bit long, and then I went and did it again on Sunday! I am a glutton! :lol:

Jim
JimVonBaden

Previous

Return to Organize a Ride!