President’s Day Presidents Ride

Put Together a Ride, Find Riding Partners, Ask Ride Advice

President’s Day Presidents Ride

Postby jcabiles » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Virginia is rich in history starting from our Colonial beginnings, war for independence, Civil War to present day. Did you also know that eight presidents were born in Virginia; three just East of Fredericksburg, two SE of Richmond and three in the vicinity of Charlottesville.

I have always thought that visiting each of these presidential birthplaces would make an interesting ride, but schedule conflicts and weather has prevented me from making it happen. This year I am going to make it happen. Ideally I would like to do the ride on President’s Day Weekend. Because the locations are somewhat dispersed, visiting all eight in one day is a no go. It would make sense to visit them in two days with one of the days as a weather day.

If the weather the weekend of President’s Day holiday is not suitable, then I will defer it to later in Spring.

Below is the list Of Presidents and their birthplaces:

Day 1
James Monroe 4460 James Monroe Hwy, Colonial Beach
George Washington 1732 Popes Head Rd, Colonial Beach
James Madison 17200 James Madison Pkw
John Tyler 10920 John Tyler Memorial Hwy, Charles City County
William Henry Harrison 12602 Harrison Landing Rd, Charles City County
Day 2
Woodrow Wilson 20 N Coalter St, Staunton
Thomas Jefferson 2450 Richmond Rd, Charlottesville
Zachary Taylor 7350 Spotswood Trail, Barboursville

My desire is to stay off the interstates as much as possible and take scenic back roads. Day one could also include a stop at Mortons to test ride the K1600 B.

Each day would be a full day of riding to include breaks and photo ops. Some of the sites are now private residences and/or only a historical marker.

If you are interested in joining me, send me a PM.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Re: President’s Day Presidents Ride

Postby thanatos1224 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:20 pm

This sounds like a great way to honor folks from Va that made it to the highest office in this country. I have a previous engagement at the VFW that Saturday, 1st District Veterans Event to chat with our representatives to Congress. However, this is an awesome idea, I encourage you to make sure to put this in https://www.meetup.com/BMW-Bikers-of-Me ... ashington/ to reach the wider audience. Awesome ride....
David & Carol
Just finding an excuse to ride
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Looks like there will be less than optimum weather for this weekend, plus I have a work conflict. So this ride will be deferred to Spring Break (last week in March) or hopefully a warmer weekend in April.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 pm

I would be interested in seeing a new date posted. Thank You.
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:54 am

jcabiles wrote:Virginia is rich in history starting from our Colonial beginnings, war for independence, Civil War to present day. Did you also know that eight presidents were born in Virginia; three just East of Fredericksburg, two SE of Richmond and three in the vicinity of Charlottesville.

I have always thought that visiting each of these presidential birthplaces would make an interesting ride, but schedule conflicts and weather has prevented me from making it happen. This year I am going to make it happen. Ideally I would like to do the ride on President’s Day Weekend. Because the locations are somewhat dispersed, visiting all eight in one day is a no go. It would make sense to visit them in two days with one of the days as a weather day.

If the weather the weekend of President’s Day holiday is not suitable, then I will defer it to later in Spring.

Below is the list Of Presidents and their birthplaces:

Day 1
James Monroe 4460 James Monroe Hwy, Colonial Beach
George Washington 1732 Popes Head Rd, Colonial Beach
James Madison 17200 James Madison Pkw
John Tyler 10920 John Tyler Memorial Hwy, Charles City County
William Henry Harrison 12602 Harrison Landing Rd, Charles City County
Day 2
Woodrow Wilson 20 N Coalter St, Staunton
Thomas Jefferson 2450 Richmond Rd, Charlottesville
Zachary Taylor 7350 Spotswood Trail, Barboursville

My desire is to stay off the interstates as much as possible and take scenic back roads. Day one could also include a stop at Mortons to test ride the K1600 B.

Each day would be a full day of riding to include breaks and photo ops. Some of the sites are now private residences and/or only a historical marker.

If you are interested in joining me, send me a PM.

Thanks again for the great conversation this am at our Clifton alternative Club house :-). As mentioned today, I look forward to this upcoming ride. Thanks so much for coming up with the idea.
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Below is the planned itinerary for the two days visiting President birthplaces. The times noted are from the previous location and are based on back roads and avoiding interstates. Rides will be on separate weekends (TBD) and most likely on a Saturday in mid to late April and May. Looking for consistent 50 degree or higher temps and will not conflict with scheduled Tech Days/club events.

I will set up a Ride using the Meet Up tool. I will also upload a Route sheet for each day (Old School Left/Right guide since I do not have the routes laid out via GPS).

I do not plan on spending much time at each site. Just enough for a photo op, plus some of the locations are privately owned or just a Historical Road Marker.

Day 1
Meet at Clifton
James Monroe 4460 James Monroe Hwy, Colonial Beach Historic site near Oak Grove 2 hr 15 min (from Clifton) (1hr 59 min Alt route)
George Washington 1732 Popes Head Rd, Colonial Beach National Monument 15 min
James Madison 17200 James Madison Pkw Bell Grove Plantation (B&B) 30 min
John Tyler 10920 John Tyler Memorial Hwy, Charles City County Private Residence 1 hr 45 min
William Henry Harrison 12602 Harrison Landing Rd, Charles City County Historic Plantation 15 min

Day 2
Meet in Warrenton
Woodrow Wilson 20 N Coalter St, Staunton Presidential Library and Museum 2 hr 15 (from Warrenton)
Thomas Jefferson 2450 Richmond Rd, Charlottesville Road Marker 1 hr 30 min
Zachary Taylor 7350 Spotswood Trail, Barboursville Private Residence 30 min

Mortons BMW 5099 Jefferson Davis Hwy A, Fredericksburg, VA 22408 Possible demo ride on K1600 Bagger after Day 1 ride 2 hr (from WHH)
Robert E. Lee 483 Great House Road, Stratford, VA 22558 Optional Day 1 visit near G. Washington site
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:32 pm

Awesome and maybe we can find some BBq too.
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:54 pm

The date for the Day 1 ride will be Saturday April 14. Meet at Clifton 8 - 8:30 AM for coffee and ride brief. Sidestands up at 8:30.

I will post an event in Meeet Up later this week.

The Day 2 ride date will be selected for a Saturday in May.

Let me know if you are interested in a demo ride of the K1600 Bagger. I will let Mortons know of our interest.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:53 pm

jcabiles wrote:The date for the Day 1 ride will be Saturday April 14. Meet at Clifton 8 - 8:30 AM for coffee and ride brief. Sidestands up at 8:30.

I will post an event in Meeet Up later this week.

The Day 2 ride date will be selected for a Saturday in May.

Let me know if you are interested in a demo ride of the K1600 Bagger. I will let Mortons know of our interest.

Awesome, I am looking forward to this ride. And if I have to I guess I can take the bagger out for a spin. Gosh darnit.

P.s. BOD, please help ensure we get the Meetup done sooner rather than later. I am sure a lot of folks will enjoy this ride.
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:37 pm

Hey, everyone, we have a meetup for the ride now... https://www.meetup.com/BMW-Bikers-of-Me ... 249407423/
It is going to be a great ride! Hope to see you there!
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:02 am

The long range forecast for next weekends Presidents Ride is looking good. No VA, Fredericksburg and Richmond will have clear weather in the 70’s.

Also Mortons will be having their Spring Open House. We will definitely stop by after the ride.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:16 am

jcabiles wrote:The long range forecast for next weekends Presidents Ride is looking good. No VA, Fredericksburg and Richmond will have clear weather in the 70’s.

Also Mortons will be having their Spring Open House. We will definitely stop by after the ride.

Just a thought what paper map are you using for the planning of this ride? I wanted to get one off Amazon or stop by a local tourist location, so the day of the ride I can copy the route.
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Just a thought what paper map are you using for the planning of this ride? I wanted to get one off Amazon or stop by a local tourist location, so the day of the ride I can copy the route.

No paper. Use the Map app on my iPad and Google maps. I print out left/right guides and cross check with my GPS as I ride.

PM me your email and I’ll send you the left/right documentents.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Weather check looks good.

We are a GO for a Saturday ride!
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:00 pm

So far there are 4 riders for this ride that have RSVP’d on the Meet Up app.

If anyone else is joining this ride, please rsvp on the Meet Up app
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Next

Return to Organize a Ride!