Anyone for a "Back of the Dragon" trip on 5/14-5/16

Put Together a Ride, Find Riding Partners, Ask Ride Advice

Anyone for a "Back of the Dragon" trip on 5/14-5/16

Postby mdo905 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:12 am

Would anybody be interested in a 3-day ride to the "Back of the Dragon" area on May 14 though 16th? I know it's short notice, but it would be great to have somebody to ride with.

I'm having shoulder surgery the next week that could keep me off my RT for the rest of the season, so I'd like to get in a good ride while I still can.

My plan:
5/14: leave DC area 8am, ride the bottom 2/3 of skyline drive (the middle 1/3 definitely has the best twisties), then hit I-81 for the rest of the way to Marion, VA. Stay the night.
5/15: Ride the "Back of the Dragon" (VA-16/Buchanan Highway) and other roads (TBD) of the area. Stay the night in Marion, VA again.
5/16: Re-do any routes that were enjoyed, then head back to DC (5 hrs on I-81 + I-66).

Please PM me if interested.
mdo905

Re: Anyone for a "Back of the Dragon" trip on 5/14-5/16

Postby RocketMan » Sun May 03, 2015 7:21 am

I'm actually planning on ride down that way the same weekend, only leaving out Thursday, slab it to the top of the Blue Ridge as I find the speed limit on skyline a bit slow, then ride down the parkway to stay at the Peaks of Otter then continue down the parkway to the Woodberry Inn http://www.woodberryinn.com/ right off the parkway near the Marby Mill Friday. Its a truly wonderful small Inn, with a small bar and restaurant right on site that makes most of the food from locally available produce. I had one of the best meals on my entire trip last year down to Miss. and it cost me all of $10.50! They have only 12 rooms, a small pond lorded over by Barney the one-eyed duck, very secluded and quiet. the couple that runs it are really great, former FSO and they love to chat it up with their guests, so don't expect to get to your room anytime soon after arriving! Its only about an hour and half from Marion. Perhaps you could join me there Friday?

As for RT16, and other roads in the area diffidently check out RT. 58. the part between Mouth of Wilson to Damascus it really great as it winds around the side of several of the tallest peaks in that part of the state. Rt. 16 intersects it along that part just a bit west of Mouth of Wilson and if you head west from that intersection you'll hit the best part.

From the Woodberry Inn I plan on heading down to stay at the Alpine Inn http://www.alpineinnnc.com/ in little Switzerland, another really great, small off the beaten path Inn also run by a great couple with awesome views along the parkway and just a mile from the Switzerland Inn with a 4 Star restaurant.

Anyway, if you're interested in meeting up for the evening On Friday at the Woodberry Inn, just let me know.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Return to Organize a Ride!