BMWBMW Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 Qualification Ride

Put Together a Ride, Find Riding Partners, Ask Ride Advice

BMWBMW Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 Qualification Ride

Postby kwando723 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:59 pm

Riders,

The rides committee is in the process of developing a route to qualify for the Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000. We are looking sometime in April/May or late September/Early October. If you're interested, please let Bruce & I know. Attached is the SS1000 Form. More info to follow.

-Thomas
Attachments
ss1000.pdf
(32.79 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

Those extreme-sports kids today are good, but they have it easy. Try falling off of a motorcycle going 70 or 80 miles per hour on asphalt. Believe me, nothing equals it.
kwando723

Re: BMWBMW Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 Qualification Ride

Postby eap » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:59 am

Thanks, I am interested.
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby BMWGirl » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:39 pm

I have done a few different IBA rides, if you need any help in planning, let me know - Good luck to all those that do this ride - it's a great ride to do!!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby GSFun » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:49 am

Mayyyyyybeeee....
Shannon Krammes
2011 G650GS
BMWBMW Membership Chair
membership@bmwbmw.org

-- Making BMWBMW a club of the members, by the members, for the members!!!
GSFun
Board Guru

Postby ERC Scott » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:49 am

GSFun wrote:Mayyyyyybeeee....

Yeah .. be the first person to ever complete an SS1000 on a Ducati Scrambler, mayyyybeeeee ;)
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby kwando723 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:30 pm

BMWGirl wrote:I have done a few different IBA rides, if you need any help in planning, let me know - Good luck to all those that do this ride - it's a great ride to do!!

Thanks. Sending you a route...let me know your thoughts.

-Thomas
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

Those extreme-sports kids today are good, but they have it easy. Try falling off of a motorcycle going 70 or 80 miles per hour on asphalt. Believe me, nothing equals it.
kwando723

Postby kwando723 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:36 pm

kwando723 wrote:
BMWGirl wrote:I have done a few different IBA rides, if you need any help in planning, let me know - Good luck to all those that do this ride - it's a great ride to do!!

Thanks. Sending you a route...let me know your thoughts.

-Thomas
Attachments
BMWBMW Iron Butt 1000Pic2.JPG
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

kwando723

Postby stevebmw » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Regarding a run in the Sept/Oct time frame, I've been talking to Mike Kneebone of the IBA about Morton's BMW sponsoring a SaddleSore 1000 to the BMW RA rally in Harrison, Arkansas over the first weekend in October. It would work the same way as the one we sponsored to the MOA rally in Missouri -- general starting points (e.g., Fredericksburg, VA) and arriving in Harrison within 24 hours. Simple record-keeping, and you get your IBA certificate at the Iron Butt party at the rally. If you're going to the rally, this would be a fun way to earn your IBA stripes. Watch for more info as we develop the event.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby kwando723 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:00 pm

stevebmw wrote:Regarding a run in the Sept/Oct time frame, I've been talking to Mike Kneebone of the IBA about Morton's BMW sponsoring a SaddleSore 1000 to the BMW RA rally in Harrison, Arkansas over the first weekend in October. It would work the same way as the one we sponsored to the MOA rally in Missouri -- general starting points (e.g., Fredericksburg, VA) and arriving in Harrison within 24 hours. Simple record-keeping, and you get your IBA certificate at the Iron Butt party at the rally. If you're going to the rally, this would be a fun way to earn your IBA stripes. Watch for more info as we develop the event.

Steve....keep us posted. Thanks!
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

kwando723

Postby eap » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:19 pm

The Rally Route is nice, but are there still plans for a separate Loop Back Route?
eap
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby guitardad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:11 pm

My first SS1k was basically that route out to Lexington and back. As Interstates go, it's a nice ride. Good choice!

Be aware that gas stations can be few and far between out there, 'specially between Morgantown and Charleston. A little bit of planning is in order. I'm happy to help, but I'll need to check my coaching schedule first.
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby lionlady » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:26 pm

I was talking about the basic personal pre-ride prep that's needed for this. Found a short, concise list on S-T.net from someone by the handle: san1k Item #2 isn't critical for a group ride, but you can't go wrong having "too many" receipts/documentation.

A few suggestions:

1. Gatorade/Water and food bars packed. I'd throw some fruit in the bag, sliced apples or oranges.
2. Have a ziplock bag with your Iron Butt paperwork and 2 pens. Number the receipt as you complete your log and throw them all in the ziplock bag. Use a ziplock bag with a slider.
3. I recommend not using a tank bag or place your tank bag in a manner where you don't have to move it to get to put gas in the tank. That tank bag gets really annoying the 6th time you'll refuel that day.
4. Cramp bust or throttle assist are awesome and under $20 bucks; if you don't already have one.
5. I'd use some monkey butt and take an advil/ibuprofen before the trip starts and when you feel like taking another one.
6. It's all mental; have fun.

And, here's a link to the IBA site's page on the SS1000 and BB rides: http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1 and THIS (25 tips): http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm the second link should be printed out, and kept on your nightstand, read at least twice by anyone considering undertaking a Saddle Sore ride.
Ta da!
lionlady
Board Wizard

Postby kwando723 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:43 am

Based on the votes, it seems like the first BMWBMW SaddleSore 1000 will held on May 2nd. For those who are interested in riding with me, please PM me (Thomas) & we can discuss via google hangout or teleconference.
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

kwando723

Postby bdimon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:11 am

It's time to take names and kick tires!

If you think you want to join the Iron Butted Beemers on the first weekend of May for an official Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 Qualification Ride, reply to this post with the answer to eight questions:

Question 1: Who are you?

This aint the LSAT; the questions are easy.

The ride committee has a plan and we want your input.

View Larger Map

FORMAT
Plan A is to start early on Saturday, May 2, and end up that night at a hotel in Harrisonburg, VA. After celebrating our accomplishment, we get a good night's sleep and wake up the next day to a change of pace. A leisurely ride home on back roads. This two day format gives us opportunity to socialize after the Saddlesore.

What do you think of this two-day format? Would you rather end near home and say a brief goodbye after collecting our ending receipt?

Question 2: Do you like the 2-day format or would you prefer to begin and end at home?

HOTEL
What kind of hotel would you stay in? Do you prefer cheap or luxurious? On-site lounge or near a dive bar? We are scouting and want to pick something that will promote comfortable reflection on a day well-wasted.

Question 3: What is your hotel budget or preference?

RAIN TOLERANCE
A few hours of rain in the forecast won't stop this crew but if a storm front parks itself over the route for the whole weekend, that's a different story.

Question 4: Would you still go if they forecast rain? How many hours of rain?

RIDE STYLE
Do you want to ride more or less as a group? Should we start together and then just set our own pace? Do you want to start at your own time?

Question 5: Do you want to start at the same time?
Question 6: Do you want the group to stay close together or ride at different paces?
Question 7: What is the range of your gas tank?
Question 8: What is the range of your butt or bladder?

Please post a reply with your responses. This is coming up soon so roll on down to Jim's Tech Day and ask him for a checklist of what to check before a long ride. Think how attractive you will be to the opposite sex when you put an official Iron Butt license plate frame on your bike. Woo-hoo!
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby eap » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks Bruce et al....

I am IN (Ed Pfister)

Plan A sounds great to me (route and 2 day format)

Prefer to meet up and start at same time and place between 5-6am or so.

Rain no problem with my gear, but heavy, severe t-storms and wind might deter me or cause me to abort.

Initially, ride pretty much together within line of sight, pull off together for fuel every 200 miles (If there are a large number of riders, split into smaller batches...

Late in the ride we are likely to string out. For example, if I decide to 'rest my eyes' around 2-3pm, I wouldn't expect everyone else to do the same if they felt otherwise... I would most likely do this between fuel stops at an interstate rest stop versus a gas stop at an Exit. We just need to try to communicate this if possible...

I would like to set my GPS with waypoints approx every 100 miles and number them 10, 9, 8...1. Along with the corner markers. Anyone know how to do this? I fumbled and failed with Basecamp.

My Hotel budget is modest $50 or so and am OK with splitting a room...

I can go with picking up a 6-pack and a pizza in the room, or WALK to a restaurant that serves beer.

Thanks Lionlady for the ideas, I will carry plenty of liquids, fruit and trail type snacks... But I am keeping the tank bag..

.Those are my thoughts and I think touched on all the questions....
eap
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Next

Return to Organize a Ride!