BMWBMW Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 Qualification Ride

Put Together a Ride, Find Riding Partners, Ask Ride Advice

Re: BMWBMW Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 Qualification Ride

Postby bdimon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:19 pm

eap wrote:I would like to set my GPS with waypoints approx every 100 miles and number them 10, 9, 8...1. Along with the corner markers. Anyone know how to do this? I fumbled and failed with Basecamp.

Use Tyre http://www.tyretotravel.com/ instead of Basecamp. After you make the route, save to the Garmin and them import the itinerary on the GPS. Here is a YouTube showing how to do it. https://youtu.be/5g-nZe_Zoco
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby rgc1248 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:29 am

Hello, all
My name is Rafael Cohen

Question 2: Do you like the 2-day format or would you prefer to begin and end at home?

The two-day format is fine.

Question 3: What is your hotel budget or preference?

A nice clean hotel preferred. I'm willing to split a room to save. Around 50 bucks sound fine.

Question 4: Would you still go if they forecast rain? How many hours of rain?

I'd still go if a few showers are forecasted as long as it is not all day rain.

Question 5: Do you want to start at the same time?

Same time

Question 6: Do you want the group to stay close together or ride at different paces?

Group with the option to break away a or fall behind.

Question 7: What is the range of your gas tank?

240'ish

Question 8: What is the range of your butt or bladder?

200'ish
-Rafa
Spotsylvania, VA
2007 R12R
rgc1248

Postby kwando723 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:08 pm

I concur with EAP (Ed Pfizer) on all his comments. It would be great if everyone starts together and set the pace themselves. Safety should be the priority and if someone wants to rest longer...we shouldn't expect everyone else to wait for that rider.

The route starts near Rockville and I will identify a good start point where we can link up. More info to follow.

-Thomas
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

Those extreme-sports kids today are good, but they have it easy. Try falling off of a motorcycle going 70 or 80 miles per hour on asphalt. Believe me, nothing equals it.
kwando723

Postby kwando723 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:19 pm

Question 1: Who are you?

-Thomas Joseph

Question 2: Do you like the 2-day format or would you prefer to begin and end at home?
2 day format

What kind of hotel would you stay in? Do you prefer cheap or luxurious? On-site lounge or near a dive bar? We are scouting and want to pick something that will promote comfortable reflection on a day well-wasted.
Cheap and clean

Question 3: What is your hotel budget or preference?
$50 is fine willing to split

Question 4: Would you still go if they forecast rain? How many hours of rain?
Light rain is fine...Not a fan of downpours

Question 5: Do you want to start at the same time?
Same time

Question 6: Do you want the group to stay close together or ride at different paces?
I would like to be in a eye sight of at least one rider

Question 7: What is the range of your gas tank?
240-260 miles

Question 8: What is the range of your butt or bladder?
I let my body dictate when to rest by butt.
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

Those extreme-sports kids today are good, but they have it easy. Try falling off of a motorcycle going 70 or 80 miles per hour on asphalt. Believe me, nothing equals it.
kwando723

Postby kwando723 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:51 pm

Thoughts on location to sync up for the ride. I live in Annandale, VA and let's figure a central location which works for all the participates. I propose kickstand up at 5:30am. Feel free to make recommendations.
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

kwando723

Postby eap » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:37 pm

kwando723 wrote:Thoughts on location to sync up for the ride. I live in Annandale, VA and let's figure a central location which works for all the participates. I propose kickstand up at 5:30am. Feel free to make recommendations.

I'll toss out the Gaithersburg Holiday Inn parking lot, by the flag poles or under the entrance car port if it is raining. It's one block from the Gaithersburg/ Washington Grove Fire Station an Exxon Gas station and a Dunkin Donuts. Couple bank ATMs close by also.

Exit 11 off I 270
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby HMan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:50 pm

Prefer a 1 day format.

Prefer to meet up and start at same time and place @6am.

Ride pretty much together within line of sight, pull off together for fuel/bio break every 200 miles.

Rain no problem, but heavy, severe t-storms and wind might deter me or cause me to abort.

Likely to finish the ride apart.
HMan

Postby BMWGirl » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:04 am

eap wrote:
kwando723 wrote:Thoughts on location to sync up for the ride. I live in Annandale, VA and let's figure a central location which works for all the participates. I propose kickstand up at 5:30am. Feel free to make recommendations.

I'll toss out the Gaithersburg Holiday Inn parking lot, by the flag poles or under the entrance car port if it is raining. It's one block from the Gaithersburg/ Washington Grove Fire Station an Exxon Gas station and a Dunkin Donuts. Couple bank ATMs close by also.

Exit 11 off I 270

My suggestion is figure your route and meet up on the ride - if I was starting in Annandale, I would not want to ride 20-25 mi. just to get my starting receipt (of course, that's just me). If you all are going out 270 - maybe get your starting receipt and then meet up at Frederick for your first gas stop. If you stagger your starts just slightly, you probably could all get that at the same time.

My thoughts are - if this is your FIRST SS, then when you're done - you'll want to be within a few minutes of your home, because you're gonna be tired. :lol:

Just my unsolicited .02
:mrgreen:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby eap » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:33 pm

BMWGirl wrote:
eap wrote:

Exit 11 off I 270

My suggestion is figure your route and meet up on the ride - if I was starting in Annandale, I would not want to ride 20-25 mi. just to get my starting receipt (of course, that's just me). If you all are going out 270 - maybe get your starting receipt and then meet up at Frederick for your first gas stop. If you stagger your starts just slightly, you probably could all get that at the same time.

My thoughts are - if this is your FIRST SS, then when you're done - you'll want to be within a few minutes of your home, because you're gonna be tired. :lol:

Just my unsolicited .02
:mrgreen:

Thanks Tina -
I suppose, anyone can get their starting ticket before we meet up if they want but we will not be finishing anywhere near our homes. The route is a big hook, not a closed loop and we will all have a celebratory libation, spend the night on the road and meander home the next day....
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby rgc1248 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:21 pm

I am unfamiliar on how to record times. I'm coming from Fredericksburg and will have ridden close to 80 miles by the time I link up with the rest of the group.
Thoughts?
-Rafa
Spotsylvania, VA
2007 R12R
rgc1248

Postby guitardad » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:40 pm

Ordinarily, the clock and your distance start with a computer-generated receipt of some kind. It can be from a gas pump, an ATM, or even from a purchase. The key is it must have the location - city & state as a minimum - the date and the time. If you are coming from Fredericksburg to join with the group, you've got a couple of choices.

1. Get a starting receipt in Fredericksburg, then ride up to join the group. You'll want another receipt in Rockville (or wherever the group meets) so the IBA can figure out the actual distance you rode. This would give you a cushion - if you're feeling fatigued near the end of the ride, you could stop 80 miles early, get a good ending receipt, and rest before joining everyone else.
2. Ride up to the vicinity of the group start, "off the clock." Do it early, get a little rest, then get your starting receipt at the same place and time as the group.

If it were me, I'd go with option #2. Maybe one of the folks in the group who lives closer would let me come up and couch surf. I definitely would not ride up from Fredericksburg and jump immediately into the 1k ride without "getting credit" for it. Remember, there's no extra credit for riding 1100 miles instead of 1000.
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby rgc1248 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:43 am

Do we have a final list of participants? Also, what hotel are we using when we get to Harrisburg?
-Rafa
Spotsylvania, VA
2007 R12R
rgc1248

Postby kwando723 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Team,

Sorry for the late email. I’ve been laid up in the bed for the past 48 hours due an illness and life priorities (sick 16 month old, work, grad school, etc). Anyways, to my understanding we have the following individual participating in the SS1000:

- Thomas Joseph (kwando723)
- Ed Pfister (eap)
- Rafael Cohen (rgc1248)
- Herb Mandell (HMan)

If I left anyone out, please let me know. All participates, please PM Bruce & myself with your email & phone number.

In reference to start location. Due to the fact everyone in this ride is dispersed throughout the DMV and the challenge of pleasing everyone…I recommend that we meet up at the Holiday Inn Gaithersburg (see start address below) & start the ride no later than 6:00am.

--Start location--
Holiday Inn
2 Montgomery Village Avenue
Gaithersburg, MD 20879

In addition, I touched base with Bruce and he mentioned Wes may be our official IBA sendoff guy & we may have IBA certified members meet us at Harrisonburg, VA to sign us in upon completion. This way, we can get certified upon the completion of the ride. I propose our end location be the Motel 6 due to the fact it’s inexpensive ($56 per night) and the close proximity to restaurants/bars.

--End Location--
Motel 6 ($56)
10 Linda Ln
Harrisonburg, VA 22802

Also, I just booked a room…if anyone is interested in rooming with me, let me know.

-Thomas Joseph
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

kwando723

Postby kwando723 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:07 pm

For those who are interested in boxing, the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight will be playing at the Tilted Kilt which is less than a mile away from motel 6. If I'm up for it, I may walk down there to watch the fight.
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

kwando723

Postby kwando723 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:44 pm

kwando723 wrote: Also, I just booked a room…if anyone is interested in rooming with me, let me know.

Just got a roommate for the trip.
Rides Committee
IBA# 60678
2014 F800GS Adventure

kwando723

PreviousNext

Return to Organize a Ride!