(Road) Ride to Eat Dirt 6/17

Put Together a Ride, Find Riding Partners, Ask Ride Advice

(Road) Ride to Eat Dirt 6/17

Postby Genen8kua » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:27 am

This is a feeder ride (pun intended) for Maryland folks who will be participating in the Morton's 6/18 dual sport training. The main goal is to get us all to Fredricksburg by about 1700 for the RTE at 1800.

Use this thread to express interest so we can start figuring a meeting point and route. I'm in Ellicott City, but there's little joy in any more-or-less direct highway routes to F-burg, so I'm thinking we do some westing, cross the Potomac at White's Ferry, Point of Rocks, Brunswick or Harpers Ferry and go from there, easting only when we're nicely south of DC/Northern Virginia. I don't have a lot of Virginia road knowledge, so feel free to add route suggestions.

I'm thinking of a departure not before 1100, & hopefully a bit later in the after noon. Those amongst us who are dads may need a bit of time to bask in the adulation of our young spawn (though my teenage and young adult progeny will probably still be asleep).

We could also talk about which hotel and whether any other cheapskates want to share a room.

Gene
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Re: (Road) Ride to Eat Dirt 6/17

Postby Maria V » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:55 am

I am in for the group ride to FBurg. I am in Westminster, so doesn't make sense for anyone to head this far north to turn around. I could meet up anywhere from the Ellicott City area to points west relatively easily; I think your initial thought to swing west would make for a much more enjoyable ride. Your general timing is perfect.

I had booked Country Inn and Suites, but pondering a change to Hampton Inn. Proximity to dinner is a bonus, and the walk will do me good. :lol:
Thanks for organizing!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby stevebmw » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:23 am

Maria V wrote:I am in for the group ride to FBurg. I am in Westminster, so doesn't make sense for anyone to head this far north to turn around. I could meet up anywhere from the Ellicott City area to points west relatively easily; I think your initial thought to swing west would make for a much more enjoyable ride. Your general timing is perfect.

I had booked Country Inn and Suites, but pondering a change to Hampton Inn. Proximity to dinner is a bonus, and the walk will do me good. :lol:
Thanks for organizing!

FYI, the Country Inn & Suites is not much farther than the Hampton, but you have to cross Route 1:

Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby Wild Pig » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm in, coming from Severna Park. E-City or another westerly meet up is good for me. I'll be one of the cheapskates mooching floorspace.
Jim

tunc non est ut sues
Wild Pig
Frequent Oinker

Postby Maria V » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:53 am

Sounds like the three amigos heading to FBurg on Sunday.
Ole'!

Gene, your place is probably as central as it gets, and would buy you more time for Father's Day worship. :lol:
If that seems ok for you, let's work out the details. Thanks!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby stevebmw » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:07 am

Maria V wrote:Sounds like the three amigos heading to FBurg on Sunday.
Ole'!

I've heard from a few others who are coming for the dinner, too. Sounds like we might have a nice little group.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby Genen8kua » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:36 am

Maria V wrote:Sounds like the three amigos heading to FBurg on Sunday.
Ole'!

Gene, your place is probably as central as it gets, and would buy you more time for Father's Day worship. :lol:
If that seems ok for you, let's work out the details. Thanks!

I was thinking of a route like this one that has us westing on I-70 before southing below the National Capitol Area and then easting to FBurg (almost wrote "F-Burg" but that doesn't look right :emb: ).

With that route, maybe meeting in Mt. Airy or New Market around 1100 for a quick bite (or not) with sidestands up by 1200 would give us plenty of time for a ride with a mid-ride break. Happy to meet at my house for those on the way from points east.

For the ride home, I'm thinking of easting to 301/Nice Bridge toward home, adding in back roads or not depending on how knackered I am after being abused by the Morton's team. At a minimum, it looks as if there's at least a scenic route from Fburg to 301 near Dahlgren.
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby stevebmw » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:48 am

Genen8kua wrote:For the ride home, I'm thinking of easting to 301/Nice Bridge toward home, adding in back roads or not depending on how knackered I am after being abused by the Morton's team. At a minimum, it looks as if there's at least a scenic route from Fburg to 301 near Dahlgren.

That's probably Route 218, which is a really nice, shady and twisty ride most of the way to 301.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby Maria V » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:25 am

Mt Airy is a good suggestion for meeting point, there is a pizza hut right at MD27 and Main street off of i-70.
Need to check my timing though, I have a commitment that morning and may not be able to meet there before 1230-1pm. Stand by. I don't want to hold anyone else up. #-o
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Wild Pig » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I've been on 218, once, and I remember it being just that.

I'm good with the Mt. Airy meet up. Ain't there a BBQ place there somewhere?
Jim

tunc non est ut sues
Wild Pig
Frequent Oinker

Postby Genen8kua » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Maria V wrote:Mt Airy is a good suggestion for meeting point, there is a pizza hut right at MD27 and Main street off of i-70.
Need to check my timing though, I have a commitment that morning and may not be able to meet there before 1230-1pm. Stand by. I don't want to hold anyone else up. #-o

Google says it's a four hour drive as plotted. Starting at 1230 gives a 1/2 hour cushion for breaks, traffic & stuff. With dinner plans at 1800, there's the potential to just have to hurry to get checked in at the hotel. And, since there's a fair amount of meander to the route (open to suggestions as I don't really know the roads I've selected), there's always the possibility of correcting en route. For example, simply taking 17 from Warrenton knocks 30 mins off Google's calculation (skipping the more scenic Co Rd. 612).

I find that my Garmin GPS overestimates my transit time on surface streets unless there are a number of lights, then it underestimates, making me wonder if it assumes travel at or below the speed limit but getting more than the expected green lights. So we could find ourselves "ahead of schedule" anyway.

Would hate to leave Maria out.
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Maria V » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:27 am

I am good with wheels rolling from Mt Airy 1145-12noon. Cannot meet prior to that for vittles.
Hope that works, Gene - let me know!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Genen8kua » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Wild Pig wrote:I've been on 218, once, and I remember it being just that.

I'm good with the Mt. Airy meet up. Ain't there a BBQ place there somewhere?

There's Carterque: 1310 South Main Street Mt. Airy, MD 21771 - in the shopping center a bit North of the interchange. Not bad. I'm thinking of eating before leaving, as I'll have enough dining out this coming week as it is. How about we meet in the parking area in the vicinity of Carterque and plan for sidestands up and heading toward Fburg by about Noon? If noones going for BBQ, we could also just meet at the Pizza Hut - I think it's a tad closer to the highway.
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Maria V » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:11 am

No food for me, fine with either meeting place, can be there for wheels rolling by noon.
That invasion at Normandy had easier logistics. :lol:
Thanks for organizing this Gene. I appreciate it!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby sati8d » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm In - see you guys at Caterque or is it Pizza Hut - Gene?
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Next

Return to Organize a Ride!