Oktoberfest at Camp Westmar - 10/2-3

Heard of an Event of Interest to BMWBMW Members?

Postby jkerechek » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:52 am

Can't make this one :x
jkerechek

Postby Qijote » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:11 pm

Mike:
I heard someone say that if you don't wash your bike it will never leak. :shock: Jim washes his, and that's why he always has oil over his boots!! :roll:
Roy
Qijote
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:26 pm

roylp wrote:Mike:
I heard someone say that if you don't wash your bike it will never leak. :shock: Jim washes his, and that's why he always has oil over his boots!! :roll:
Roy

Damn Roy! You just may have something there! :lol:

Jim 8)

PS Hopefully I got it fixed on Sunday when Frankand I did a mini-tech day.
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Qijote » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:50 am

Jim:
I just had to say that... :twisted:
I'll check out your boots next time we meet! :)
Roy
Qijote
Board Guru

Postby RocketMan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:15 am

Plus a good coating of oil is an excellent rust inhibitor! :D

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby phelps2ride » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:46 pm

There is still another week to get your sign-up in for Octoberfest. Either get the form from the BTS or print one out from the events column on the web site. I have ordered som things from Germany to decorate the Beer Tent (dining room) and other things to make it a fun weekend. For $20.00 it is really a great deal. If you have any questions shoot me a email at rides@bmwbmw.org . Hope you can make it.

Ed Phelps
Octoberfest Burgermiester
phelps2ride
~2007 Co-MOY~

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:16 am

phelps2ride wrote:There is still another week to get your sign-up in for Octoberfest. Either get the form from the BTS or print one out from the events column on the web site. I have ordered som things from Germany to decorate the Beer Tent (dining room) and other things to make it a fun weekend. For $20.00 it is really a great deal. If you have any questions shoot me a email at rides@bmwbmw.org . Hope you can make it.

Ed Phelps
Octoberfest Burgermiester

Do you have to sign up ahead of time?

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

octoberfest

Postby Shane R1100GS » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:14 pm

Hey Jim! Yes you have to sign up ahead. I already sent my money in.

shane
Shane R1100GS
Board Guru

Postby phelps2ride » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:56 pm

It is necessary to sign up ahead of time because I have to order the food from Wisconson and they require 10 days. That being said, If you find out at the last minute that you can make it, come on up to Octoberfest. We will come up with something to make it fun for you. Shoot me an email if you cannot make the 20th deadline.

Ed Phelps
rides@bmwbmw.org
phelps2ride
~2007 Co-MOY~

what's it like at Camp Westmar?

Postby Unity » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:53 pm

Hi Forum--

I'm John Douglas, a BMWBMW member for a couple of years whose participation till now has consisted of reading BTS. My wife Jody and I will be coming to Oktoberfest, our first event.

We know how to get there but we're not real sure what all we need to bring. We assume that Camp Westmar is tent-camping only, that there are running-water latrines, and that we don't need to bring food, cooking gear, etc.

Are these assumptions correct, and, apart from seasonally sensible personal gear, is there anything else we should know about what to stuff into and lash onto our bikes (or not)?

We look forward to meeting you all.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Re: what's it like at Camp Westmar?

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:49 pm

Unity wrote:Hi Forum--

I'm John Douglas, a BMWBMW member for a couple of years whose participation till now has consisted of reading BTS. My wife Jody and I will be coming to Oktoberfest, our first event.

We know how to get there but we're not real sure what all we need to bring. We assume that Camp Westmar is tent-camping only, that there are running-water latrines, and that we don't need to bring food, cooking gear, etc.

Are these assumptions correct, and, apart from seasonally sensible personal gear, is there anything else we should know about what to stuff into and lash onto our bikes (or not)?

We look forward to meeting you all.

--John

Hi John,ImageImage

Welcome to you and your wife Jody! We all are glad to have new meat, I mean members, to join our online club. The forum people are a friendly bunch and we are also quite active.

You should make an attempt to come to our RTE (Ride to Eat) on Thursday. See this link for details. http://bmwbmw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=654

There are cabins at Camp West Mar, communal so you may prefer to camp. Contact Ed Phelps (rides@bmwbmw.org) for more information on the use of the cabins. As for the rest, there are showers and a dining hall there, so you really don't need to bring cooking supplies. It seems to rain at most events so you should make sure your tent has a rain fly and you have an extra set of clothes. Bring, or you can buy in nearby Thurmont, snacks and drinks. Chairs are always a good idea if you have some portable ones.

Its a great site and I am sure you will have a lot of fun!

I look forward to meeting you there!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby phelps2ride » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:55 pm

We will have munchies all day Saturday but no official lunch. There will be plenty of food and drink for the evening meal on Saturday. The dining hall has plenty of tables and chairs. We have been pretty lucky for Octoberfest and have not had any rain. The buildings do not have heat so the bunkhouses can be cold if things cool down a lot. The sleeping bag will feel good for that reason. The bunkhouses have bunk beds w/matresses so all that is needed is your sleeping bag and your pillow.

Some people bring a cooler with their favorite wine and cheese for Saturday afternoon, or a easy ride to Thurmont to grab lunch at the many places that are there.

We usually make a fire in the big fireplace in the dining hall and many people have been known to gather there if it gets chilly.

All this just goes to explain that you will have a great time. We will have coffeeall day Saturday and Sunday, and donuts Sunday morning.

Ed Phelps
phelps2ride
~2007 Co-MOY~

Postby frankparisi » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:36 pm

Jim , tell you what, you bring the tools for the tech day, and I'll bring the quart of Jack. How much are rooms up there?
frankparisi

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:40 pm

frankparisi wrote:Jim , tell you what, you bring the tools for the tech day, and I'll bring the quart of Jack. How much are rooms up there?

Rooms? What rooms? They have communal cabins that hold several, but no private rooms. I am camping.

I'm bringing the tools, and will post the reccomended parts list soon.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby DUKR » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:17 pm

Found out this week I'm headed to Vegas for a conference til the 6th... Have fun everyone!!
DUKR

PreviousNext

Return to Events