2018 BMW MOA International Rally – “The Amazing Ride!”

Heard of an Event of Interest to BMWBMW Members?

2018 BMW MOA International Rally – “The Amazing Ride!”

Postby thanatos1224 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm

So I know it is a wee bit away, however, I just registered for this year event in Des Moines. I wanted to start a thread and this is as good a reason than not. RIght now I am debating on if I want to take 2 or 3 days to get there and again on the way back. With all the great BBQ places between here and there it is something to ponder. Any Hoots, if you are thinking about going here is a great place to let others know.
David & Carol
Just finding an excuse to ride
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Re: 2018 BMW MOA International Rally – “The Amazing Ride!”

Postby eap » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:20 pm

I’m trying to work in to my plans - will be my first time attending an MIA event if I can make it! Looking at a similar time frame.
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby Bicyclist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:23 pm

That's about the time I'll be heading to CO to ride the passes, so it might be worth doing the rally on the way.
George

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
Bicyclist
A.K.A. SANTA!!!

Postby thanatos1224 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Reading this months issue of ON magazine. Since the roads are covered in ice this am from last nights little winter weather. I found part of what will become my route to the rally. It was in the Riding Iowa: What to expect. It is called the Driftless Area Scenic Byway.

https://www.traveliowa.com/trails/driftless-area-scenic-byway/3/

"The Driftless Area Scenic Byway is a 100-mile route that twists and meanders through the most Northeast corner of Iowa in the heart of a region know as the Driftless Area. The term Driftless was developed to describe this distinct area that was by-passed by the last continental glacier, centuries ago."

Oh and I found this on BMW MOA YouTube site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwGaNhgl87c&t=1s
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:01 pm

For those thinking of going to the Rally this year. I am looking at taking a leisurely route. Either 2 or 3 days to get there. And on the way home I am thinking about stopping for BBQ in Kansas City, St. Louis and Louisville. You know some foodie locations. Since it is getting closer and closer I guess I might need to start locking down my route to some degree. Thanks to Bruce for bringing MyRoute-App to my attention www.myrouteapp.com
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby stevebecker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:51 am

Is anyone going? Any group riding plan? I’m considering going especially if there is company.

Steve Becker
stevebecker

Postby Genen8kua » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am

Rick Kosher (club camping coordinator) has asked for a count of those interested in club camping by June 30. The MOA will be happy to reserve a spot if we let them know about how many tents will be there. It's nice to have a club space, especially if someone brings the BMWBMW banner. It gives us a little visibility and provides a convenient meeting space for club members not staying on site. In the past, when we've had relatively few (including at Hamburg), he's been willing to grant us a little cushion. I won't be attending this rally, but happy to be the POC for now. Anyone interested? Sign up now! Gene
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Genen8kua » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 am

I'm going to keep my club camping thread going - there will be room for last minute campers. Gene
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby thanatos1224 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:07 am

Okay dookie, the route is 75 - 90% complete at least the way out to Des Moines. Three days of back roads with the best curves I could find. On the way out I found primitive camping locations for ~$20 that have access to freash water, hot showers and indoor plumbing for that midnight walk. Darn old age.... Looks likes Kentucky for the first night, Illinois the second, Missouri the third and then Des Moines. On the way back I got the path plotted (sorta) just not all the places to sleep. I have plotted out a BBQ journey starting in St. Louis so that each day I can try the regions take on BBQ. Seeing that I was brought up on NC BBQ I am sure I just might find some differences.

Thanks to our Prez for highlighting https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab# it was fun to play around with the site. I ended up using https://trips.furkot.com/ui to roughly build the route, I got the tip to use this site from the last months Prez article in BMW ON, thanks Wes.
Round Trip 2417, Riding ~50 Hours ~6-8 hours per day
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Return to Events