Morton's annual holiday party Dec 3

Heard of an Event of Interest to BMWBMW Members?

Morton's annual holiday party Dec 3

Postby bdimon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Saturday, December 3 will be Morton's annual holiday party and customer appreciation day, with special deals store-wide and food and refreshments for everyone. I'll tell my wife that I still need to buy her gift and need to go holiday shopping.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: Morton's annual holiday party Dec 3

Postby stevebmw » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:55 am

Thanks for mentioning this, Bruce. Did your wife mention what model of motorcycle she wanted? :lol:
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby bdimon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:46 pm

stevebmw wrote:Thanks for mentioning this, Bruce. Did your wife mention what model of motorcycle she wanted? :lol:

She wants one with a roof and air conditioning. :oops:
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Bruce,are you going to lead a back roads ride down to Mortons?
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:34 pm

jcabiles wrote:Bruce,are you going to lead a back roads ride down to Mortons?

What an excellent idea! Let's meet at Clifton's Main Street Pub and take all back roads to Fredericksburg. Let's meet at 8:30 am Saturday morning. It will take us about an hour and a half to get from there to Morton's. The weather forecast is bright and sunny. Wear your electric vest.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:31 pm

See you there.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:51 pm

Enjoyed a spirited ride to and from Mortons with Bruce and Jim VB, through various back roads.

On the way back Bruce's Tom Tom found a short stretch of dirt where we practiced our GS techniques on our RTs.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:04 pm

jcabiles wrote:Enjoyed a spirited ride to and from Mortons with Bruce and Jim VB, through various back roads.

On the way back Bruce's Tom Tom found a short stretch of dirt where we practiced our GS techniques on our RTs.

Great ride guys! Bruce set a good pace and found excellent twisty roads.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby bdimon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:06 am

There's no better place to start a ride than the Main Street Pub in Clifton, VA. Jose, Jim, and I shared some conversation before riding south through the woods. Riding to Morton's from Northern Virginia has basically three routes: I-95, Route 1, or the roads west of Quantico. Route 1 is a crowded business strip clogged with lights and cross traffic. I-95 is not just a highway designation. It's a reviled curse that churns the stomach of the toughest rider and bring an Ironbutt Champion to tears.

In contrast to that transit nastiness, the roads west of Quantico are tranquil two lanes through farm land and forests. Although it is significantly longer than the straight shot down I-95, it takes the same amount of time when the traffic is bad. And frankly, most of the time, the traffic is bad. Today we cruised along the edge of the Marine base through woods and past country homes of the old families and new exurbanites. We were so far from DC that the new McMansions were advertised as "starting in the $440s." That was a clue we were getting close to Fredericksburg. We crossed I-95 on the CenterPoint Parkway to join Route 1 about 8 miles north of the dealership.

View Larger Map

We hung out at Morton's for a while chatting with our friends, Jeff, Steve, and Stuart. Of course we sat on a few bikes and wondered what we should buy next. For the return ride, we went a further west before crossing the Rappahannock River at Kelly's Ford. This route has more forested roads and fewer houses. We even had a mile or two of dirt road on this stretch. We returned to suburbia in Nokesville on route 28.

View Larger Map

It was hard to believe it was December because the sun warmed the day into the fifties. Now that winter is almost upon us, we need to seize any day with warm temps and sunshine. Next weekend might be "wintery mix" and holiday shopping.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby stevebmw » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:38 am

It was great seeing you guys today -- actually, yesterday now. Thanks for posting your alternative routes to and from Morton's. I hope some others will try the more scenic way to us rather than just giving up :D
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby dcgsrider » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:11 am

Kelly's Ford is always a winner. It nearly doubles the mileage from my house to Morton's, but well worth it in terms of sanity and pleasurable riding. I usually drop down to Rt. 3, and then take Brock Rd. through the battlefields to Spotsylvania CH. Avoids nearly all the Fredericksburg "mess" and umpty-ump traffic lights.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Return to Events