How much impact will a dirty air filter have?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Postby echo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Heres the deal. A paper filter will filter 99% of the dirt. A K&N will filter 95%. So in effect it passes four times the dirt. Not in my engine.
How are the rubber adapters between the TBs and the cylinder head?
echo

Postby DiscoPete » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:18 pm

I once ran a paper air filter until it started to clog. :oops:

The symptom was that the engine lost pep and started running a little rough above 60 MPH.

At lower rates of flow the filter evidently didn't present as much of a restriction and didn't cause an obvious problem.
-Pete
DiscoPete
Board Guru

Postby bigwillys » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:02 am

RocketMan wrote:Ah, yes E=MC2

Surely one of, if not THE, most elegant formulas ever conceived by the mind of humankind!

Elegant in its simplicity yet with such far reaching consequences…

Basically it tells us several interests bit of data

1. that energy and mass are inexorably intertwined and merely different forms of the same thing
2. that they can be transmogrified from one form to the other
3. that the resultant amounts will always remain the same no matter how often it happens
4. that as an object is moved further and further toward the speed of light it becomes ever more and more massive, thus taking more and more energy to move it faster till both are at an infinite level which explains no 5
5. that such transformations of state can only happen at the most infinitely miniscule scales in the subatomic realm (which is VERY VERY GOOD thing!)
6. And that because of the above we (as bodies having mass) can never move through space at or faster than the speed of light.
7. Interesting enough there are a number of essentially “massless” particles that do in fact travel at or beyond the speed of light, such as bosons, gravitons, neutrinos etc all

All of which is not to say we can’t go from point A to point B faster than light would take to get there, we just can’t do it by traveling in a straight line. Lucky for us though light, as with all electromagnetic energy, can be affected by gravity and the universe is full of holes and gravity wells so IN THEORY the way to travel through space is bend it, thus bringing point A and point B together, without being crushed that is, then just step across, or better yet, be at two places at once!

AND since light can be bent and in fact is bent by the effects of gravity we could theoretically send a particle of energy out into space and have it return to its starting point some day if we were VERY VERY patient!

And thus we arrive at my own little pet theory that I came up with at the tender age of 15 entitled “The Infinitely Finite Universe Theory” that basically states that since a particle of energy will eventually return to the point of origin it is that curve that defines our known universe FROM THAT PARTICULAR POINT IN SPACE. HOWEVER!! ( and here’s the ringer) if we move to a point on the farthest point of the curve thus defined by the first particles journey, then we can recreate a new curve from that point, and so on and so on. thus creating an infinite number of overlapping finite universes. What’s really funny is that fact that it turns out that I was not that far off base, but it does seem that my basis for it was a bit off. HA HA

See? Now, put THAT in your pipe and smoke on it a bit!

HA HA!

(oh and I did bend things a bit, but the basic ideas seem to still be in place last I read, though I bet a real whiz could find a few holes or corrections , still, fun stuff to ponder on, we really do live a truly amazing universe just chock full of surprises!)
RM

(from science whizz to cheese whizz in the blink of an eye...)

hmmm Ok now you are starting to head into the "never touch a boobie club" status..ROFLMAO
bigwillys

Postby Anton » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:26 pm

fluidj wrote:What should I be looking for in there?

What do you see? Clean dry plastic, oily dirty plastic, etc? It's indicative of what goes into your cylinders. I'm just saying you should take a look.
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Re:

Postby mike6187 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:55 pm

DiscoPete wrote:I once ran a paper air filters until it started to clog. :oops:

The symptom was that the engine lost pep and started running a little rough above 60 MPH.

At lower rates of flow the filter evidently didn't present as much of a restriction and didn't cause an obvious problem.

first i really dont know on how to run a paper air filter but i need to. apology for asking you this one but i am asking now for your help. hoping for your response.
mike6187

Re: How much impact will a dirty air filter have?

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:11 pm

The factory filters have been proven best, even half clogged.

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Re:

Postby shelion » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:05 pm

RocketMan wrote:Calculating Impact of a dirty airfiler should be the same as any other calculation of impact clean or otherwise ... easy

see below......

Kinetic energy (K.E.) of an object with a mass (M) dropped from a height (H):
K.E. = M x g x H
(g = acceleration of gravity—980 cm/sec2 for Earth)

Kinetic energy of an object with a mass traveling at a velocity (V):
K.E. = ½ M x V2

Volume (Vol) of a sphere with a radius (R)
Vol = 4/3 pi x R3
pi = 3.14

Mass (M) = of an object with a volume and density (D):
M = Vol. x D
(unit for D is g/cm3)

erg = grams x cm2 x sec
(measure of K.E.)

hope this helps! :lol:

Can you convert that to cats per square ironing board? :D
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake him off.

2010 F650GS
shelion
Fire Goddess

Re: Re:

Postby DiscoPete » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:20 am

mike6187 wrote:
DiscoPete wrote:I once ran a paper air filters until it started to clog. :oops:

first i really dont know on how to run a paper air filter but i need to. apology for asking you this one but i am asking now for your help. hoping for your response.

Sorry for the delay in reply. I missed seeing the notification of activity on this thread. I didn't see your question until just now.

The pleated paper filter was the stock factory BMW air filter. There wasn't any other option back in those days.

My recent model Porsche uses a pleated paper air filter. That type of filter must work well enough if Porsche still uses them. I'm not real comfortable with using an oiled fabric filter to get a bit more air flow, along with more dirt into the engine.
-Pete
DiscoPete
Board Guru

Previous

Return to Tech