2016 R1200RS Fork Seal Replacement

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

2016 R1200RS Fork Seal Replacement

Postby tominer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:06 pm

As you know the 2016 R1200RS has inverted forks. Just last week I spotted an oil leak by the front left brake caliper. At first I thought it was brake fluid. Upon closer inspection, the fork seal is leaking profusely and was dripping off the brake hardware (not on the caliper). It was leaking SO MUCH that I had to put a small catch pan under to catch it all. See picture.

Having limited tools and knowledge, I called Bob's BMW for an appointment, which is not available until September 7th (grrrr!). I thought maybe I can replace the seal at TechDay with help from this group. Alas, I don't think another TechDay this year has been scheduled.

Here's my question. If all the oil has leaked out (after a week or so), is it safe to ride the bike (slowly, carefully) to Bob's for the appointment or to TechDay if/when scheduled? Distance for both is only 20-30 miles. Or should I find a trailer to haul it?

Note: If the forks were not inverted, I might attempt this myself. It appears with the inverted forks one has to remove the upper tube from the triple clamps. That makes me feel queasy and nervous. :? Additionally, this left fork has some sort of connection (electrical or pressure) on the top. See other picture.

Thank you, in advance, for any advice or suggestions you might have.
Attachments
IMG_4485 (2).jpg
IMG_4484 (2).jpg
Tom Miner
Rockville, MD
301-873-2509
tominer@gmail.com

2017 R1200RT
2016 R1200RS
2012 HD Road King
tominer

Re: 2016 R1200RS Fork Seal Replacement

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:19 pm

It really depends on how much oil you lost. Take it for a cautious ride around the block and get a feel for it. Then you will know.
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to Tech