Wheel weights dropped off

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Wheel weights dropped off

Postby bdimon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:18 am

About a week after getting a brand new front wheel, I stepped on something in the garage. It was a metal rectangle and sticky on one side.

Then I noticed another like it but smaller.

Now I had ridden a couple of hundred miles since getting my new wheel. (My old rim got bent.) These weights stayed on for the riding and fell off sitting in the garage, weird! By the way, I had not washed the bike or anything like that.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: Wheel weights dropped off

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Bad adhesive. Since you know exactly where they go, use some 3M trim tape and put them back on.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby bdimon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:15 pm

I'll look for 3M Trim Tape at an auto parts store.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby Genen8kua » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Bruce,

so many people don't know how things work these days. You know how after a time dirt adheres to your wheels that just won't come off? Well, that dirt is what's needed to provide some grip to the wheel weights. Just as a motorcycle will not work if it doesn't have a critical mass of wire ties, you need some of that permanent dirt on your wheels for the weight to stick to. (You do need to clean off the removable dirt, however.) Unfortunately, you need to put the weights back on just where there's no dirt! :evil:

Seriously though, my hypothesis is that the mechanic figured they didn't need to do any prep on a brand new cast wheel before sticking the weights on. The wheel probably came out of the mold with some kind of oily/waxy mold release compound on it. So when you get new adhesive, spend some time with alcohol, acetone, or mineral spirits and clean off that clean looking area. It'll probably stick.
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby bdimon » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm

Genen8kua wrote:Seriously though, my hypothesis is that the mechanic figured they didn't need to do any prep on a brand new cast wheel before sticking the weights on. The wheel probably came out of the mold with some kind of oily/waxy mold release compound on it. So when you get new adhesive, spend some time with alcohol, acetone, or mineral spirits and clean off that clean looking area. It'll probably stick.

That sounds reasonable. I think my wife has mineral spirits and acetone. Nail polish remover is acetone, I think. I had to look for my 3-M tape but did not find it. I have a Home Depot so this weekend.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:03 pm

Use rubbing alcohol. Acetone will dull your paint.
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby bdimon » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:09 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Use rubbing alcohol. Acetone will dull your paint.

Thanks, Jim.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Return to Tech