Idle Control Device aka Idle Actuator

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Idle Control Device aka Idle Actuator

Postby bdimon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:41 pm

My 2005 R1200RT is idling really rough. Sometimes it dies when I pull in the clutch (happened 7 times on the Beltway today). So the Internet says to run the recalibration of the Idle Control Device aka Idle Actuator. I put the club's GS-911 on my bike and it read a fault code.

10501: Idle actuator (Cylinder 2, for R-Series) / Full-load stop actuator (K-Series)
The fault is currently present. :x
This problem occurred once.
Logistic counter: 40
Symptom: No signal or value.
MIL set: No

So I go to dig out the offender. It's #2 in this picture

I run the idle actuator calibration using the GS-911 and can hear nothing from the left side while the right side clicks and vibrates.

Oh well, it really easy to remove it and it would be easy to replace. However, before spending money on a new part, George Mangicaro of Gridlock Motors suggested I confirm the part by swapping it with the one on the right.

Uh oh. The GS-911 still says the unit on the left has no signal and the right side is still the one that clicks and vibrates. :shock: That means the problem is not the part but the wires going to that part. #-o

Hopefully it is just a wire broken and not a broken computer. Shoot! sounds like I have electrical troubleshooting to do.

Pray for me. [-o<
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: Idle Control Device aka Idle Actuator

Postby bdimon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:07 pm

I cleaned the contacts of the connector for the left side Idle Control Device - no change.

I wiggled the wires and pushed them into the connector - it's working. :shock:

Okay, maybe the connector is bad. Maybe the crimp of the wire is not great. Maybe there is a break in the wire that made contact after I wiggled it. :becca:

Maybe it was a miracle. :pope:

We will see how long it lasts. :oops:
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: Idle Control Device aka Idle Actuator

Postby thanatos1224 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:47 pm

Good Ole George... Good Luck, I look forward to hearing the longer version of this adventure at the March Tech Day.
David & Carol
Just finding an excuse to ride
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Return to Tech