Ignition switch failure

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Ignition switch failure

Postby dcgsrider » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:41 am

My 2009 1200GS has almost 100k on the odometer, and it's been a nearly-daily driver. It's developed an odd problem, and it seems like the ignition switch is on the way out. Sometimes it takes four or five on/off cycles to get the display to respond. It either remains completely blank in the "on" position, or will display only the clock and odometer and none of the other start-up diagnostics (gear indicator, ABS, etc.). I hope the replacement procedure is not complicated.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Re: Ignition switch failure

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm

It isn't complicated, but a bit of a PITA if you still have the anti-tamper bolts holding it in. They have to be drilled out and replaced. I used regular bolts. Otherwise it is pretty easy. You swap the ignition key tumbler from the old to the new, then unplug the harness under the tank and swap it out.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby dcgsrider » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:50 pm

You can't unscrew just the switch? I thought the anti-tamper bolts are only for the tumbler assembly, which I (naively?) assume doesn't have to come off. The fiche says the switch is held on by two M3x8 fillister head screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHhxrohxrt8

This guy has the same symptoms, except mine has never shut down in motion (yet). Example: this morning I had to switch it on and off a half-dozen times. It seems to get worse in cold weather. Kind of an el cheapo switch under all those housings.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby dcgsrider » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:59 am

Ouch, the switch is $120. Will try to install it this weekend. Seems straightforward enough--two bolts and a 3-pin connector. We'll see how it turns out. I had to cycle the key on/off about a dozen times last night--I'm afraid it's going to fail completely one of these days.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Return to Tech