Turn signal recall

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Turn signal recall

Postby dcgsrider » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:54 pm

I received the notice from BMW Motorrad today. Curiously, it applies only to "dealer accessory" turn signals, which I don't think I have. As far as I know, mine are the factory originals. At least they appear to look like everyone else's. :)
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Re: Turn signal recall

Postby jskene » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:24 am

Having seen these replacement signals, I'm pretty sure they are being recalled because they are too small to meet the federal regulations that require a lit area of 3 1/2 square inches.

This regulation was put in place decades ago, and does not take into account the advantages of LED lighting.

A solution is to replace the incandescent bulb in the stock signal (which also doesn't look like it is 3 1/2 sq inches) with an LED.
jskene
Board Guru

Re: Turn signal recall

Postby dcgsrider » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:01 am

jskene wrote:Having seen these replacement signals, I'm pretty sure they are being recalled because they are too small to meet the federal regulations that require a lit area of 3 1/2 square inches.

This regulation was put in place decades ago, and does not take into account the advantages of LED lighting.

A solution is to replace the incandescent bulb in the stock signal (which also doesn't look like it is 3 1/2 sq inches) with an LED.

Shades of the reflector debacle. http://www.dealernews.com/bmw-motorrad-issues-stop-sale-order-recalls-29000-motorcycles-reflector-fixes/

One my reflectors fell off several years ago. It passes VA state inspection every time.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Return to Tech