Failed Brake Motor - Need used part

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Failed Brake Motor - Need used part

Postby bdimon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:32 pm

I saw the dreaded Flashing Light with Red Triangle Exclamation. [flash=]Brake Failure[/flash]. Front brake still works but the rear does not. It works for a few miles before the light flashes and the rear brake stops working. Turning the bike off for a while will bring it back for a while.

Hooked it up to George's computer which said the rear brake motor failed. Unfortunately, it looks like you have the buy an entire assembly for $2,700.00. I heard Module Masters can rebuild ABS modules but this page says they cannot fix mine.
https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/shop/brakes/abs-modules/abs-fte-abs3/

Now I'm looking for a used one. Beemer Boneyard is out of them.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/34517698296.html

Anybody have another source for used parts?

I'm thinking it would be better to just get another used bike. I'm leaning toward 2007 and later which is after the Motor Works gave up on power brakes.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: Failed Brake Motor - Need used part

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Did you try flushing your brakes first? I can sometimes fix it. Also, often it is just dirty and needs cleaning, or the brushes reset.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby bdimon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:59 am

JimVonBaden wrote:Did you try flushing your brakes first? I can sometimes fix it. Also, often it is just dirty and needs cleaning, or the brushes reset.

I did not think of trying anything. I assumed that when the computer said it's bad, there was no recourse. However, I'm willing to try anything before I spend 2700 bucks. I'll run to the dealer to pick up some supplies and that will be my Monday.

You mention resetting the brushes. I did not know the module could be disassembled. How hard is it to disassemble the module enough to remove the brushes and clean them?
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:08 pm

bdimon wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:Did you try flushing your brakes first? I can sometimes fix it. Also, often it is just dirty and needs cleaning, or the brushes reset.

I did not think of trying anything. I assumed that when the computer said it's bad, there was no recourse. However, I'm willing to try anything before I spend 2700 bucks. I'll run to the dealer to pick up some supplies and that will be my Monday.

You mention resetting the brushes. I did not know the module could be disassembled. How hard is it to disassemble the module enough to remove the brushes and clean them?

They are definitely fixable. It will require a leap of faith to cut them open.

On the other hand, you can just remove the ABS: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/h ... ap.993562/

JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to Tech