2005 RT gear indicator

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

2005 RT gear indicator

Postby bdimon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:15 pm

The gear indicator that tells which gear I'm in has gone flaky on me. It will show that I'm in neutral when I'm in first gear, that I'm in second gear when I'm in neutral, that I'm in third gear when I'm in second. Sometimes the display indicator is blank. The only gear that's shown accurately anymore is 6 gear.

I wonder if I should even worry about this at all, I mean, I can count the gears myself. On the other hand, if something is loose inside, I would sure hate to have it fall off and then get between the gears. What do you think? Is this something to worry about?
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: 2005 RT gear indicator

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Hey Bruce,

No worries about that. The indicator switch is external. You can swap it out if you like, or not.
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby bdimon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:07 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Hey Bruce,

No worries about that. The indicator switch is external. You can swap it out if you like, or not.

Thanks Jim, my main worry was trashing an expensive gearbox.

I talked to George Mangicaro of Beemers uberAlles and he said sometimes it can be reset with the computer.

I appreciate having experts willing to answer questions from us less knowledgeable bikers. Thanks guys.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:38 pm

I guess all I really needed to do was wash the bike. They are paving my street and, after milling the asphalt, there is a lot of powder covering the road and any vehicle that passes over it. After I washed the bike there were oily patches on the driveway where the suds evaporated. Once clean, the gear indicator worked perfectly.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Return to Tech