Maximum time on a tender?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Maximum time on a tender?

Postby jack0505 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:17 pm

My 04 R1150RT is going into storage for up to 3 years -- no starting or riding whatsoever during that time. The battery is pretty new and I'd rather try to preserve it if possible (it would be removed from the bike while the bike is in storage). I guess I have two options and wondered what the assembled thought (I actually called the tender manufacturer and got just the most superficial of answers):

- bite the bullet and just get a new battery 3 years from now (e.g. -- don't try to preserve it)
- preserve it by keeping it on a tender the whole time (more or less)

On the second one, all I could get out of the manufacturer was -- it's up to the customer what they want to do with the tender. The question I asked them was actually ... constant use over that duration, would it harm the battery? The tender? Would the battery die anyhow?

Thoughts?

Thanks much in advance.
jack0505

Re: Maximum time on a tender?

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:40 pm

For three years, you need to remove the battery. A tender may or may not save it. I would count on a new battery.

I assume it will be indoors. Here are a few good tips, not that you asked.

1. Place the bike on the centerstand, balance it as much as possible to keep minimal weight on either side.
2. Replace all the fluids, except the gas, drain the gas as dry as possible. Long term storage of years will cause the gas to go bad. Once drained, run the bike until it dies. You still may end up with a bit of a fuel issue as the residue gums up.
3. Pull the spark plugs and spray in some oil such as a good penetrating oil, not WD-40., put the plugs back in lightly.
4. Plug the tail pipe and intake with either steel wool, or something solid enough to keep the mice out of.
5. Spray the bike with a protectant like ACF-50 to prevent corrosion.
6. Cover the bike with a sheet, not a bike cover. Your intent is to keep the accumulated dust off, but not trap moisture.
7. Under the cover, you can use any number of pest deterrents like drier sheet, moth balls, oil of peppermint.

That is all I have for now.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby ERC Scott » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Here's what I'd do in your shoes. Plan on buying a fresh battery in 3 years. You could pass your existing battery on to a fellow club member, you know, pay it forward. Jim as great ideas for LT storage.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby jack0505 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:32 pm

Not a bad idea on paying it forward ... maybe a swap? I haven't taken off the gas tank or drained it previously ... maybe I could see if someone would be willing to help in exchange for a good battery.
jack0505

Postby Chiba » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:33 pm

These are all great suggestions, but they've missed the obvious. Put it outdoors behind somebody's barn under a makeshift lean-to. Then in 20 years it will be worth tens of thousands of dollars and you'll get rich!

In all seriousness, however, have you thought about just selling it and buying another one in 3 years? I'm sure somebody will be selling a well taken care of low mileage RT when you get back - maybe even a 1200.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Return to Tech