Dumb Question With Good Excuse -- PIAA Lights

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Dumb Question With Good Excuse -- PIAA Lights

Postby jack0505 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Heading my head in shame with this as my first post, but I can explain. My simple question is for suggestions on how I might turn the PIAA lights on my 2004 BMW R1150RT. I know it sounds dumb, but the excuse is this: the bike belonged to my father, who passed away some time ago ... years later I was able to track it down and purchase it for myself ... but I just am not familiar with how he rigged things and can't exactly ask him. I attached pics of the lights and the instrument panel. It's not linked with the fog lights and doesn't come on with the high beams ... Suggestions? All other electronics seem to be working fine, so I think all the fuses are intact.

Apologies in advance, as I know it's probably a super simple answer. Pics of lights attached.

Best,

M
moto PIAA.jpg
jack0505

Re: Dumb Question With Good Excuse -- PIAA Lights

Postby BKling » Sun May 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Those look like the 1100's I had on my RT. The PIAA's normally come with a wiring harness that includes a lighted switch. A little red led when they are off and green when they are on. I think mine had the PIAA name on the switch.

Where are you located? Perhaps you could meet up with someone to help you trouble shoot it.
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Postby kioolt » Sun May 08, 2016 11:48 pm

It could be hooked to an Autoswitch (http://www.autoswitch.com/index.php). I've never used one of these but it is my understanding that you can hook them up to the turn signal cancel switch or even the high beam switch. See the website for more details.
2004 R1150RT 177,400 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
Total 413,000 BMW miles
AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
kioolt
Frequent Poster

Postby ERC Scott » Mon May 09, 2016 12:49 pm

Ride it to the club mtg this weekend or to the club rally in June. You will have lots of potential solutions and possibly even the right answer.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby jack0505 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Thank you all for taking time to respond.

Kioolt was dead on. It seems it was an autoswitch. It toggles by holding down the turn signal cancel button for greater than 1 second, at which point a small light flashes and turns green (really hard to see) once you let go and the lights are on.

Mystery solved, thanks to you guys!

Much appreciated,

M
jack0505

Postby adooley » Tue May 10, 2016 10:07 am

My PIAA lights on my R1150RT were wired to the turn signal cancel switch. You held the turn cancel switch for a couple of seconds and the PIAA lights came on. Same thing again to turn them off.
adooley

Postby jack0505 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Hey folks,

I thought I replied to this (not sure if post replies are moderated). Anyhow, thanks so much to all of you. Sure enough, it was the Autoswitch, which worked exactly as you guys have described it. Mine trigger after holding it for just more than a second or so. There is a little light that turns green when it's on and flashes red when the switch is triggered.

Thanks again for your help,

M
jack0505

Return to Tech