2009 F650GS - Stator Issues

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

2009 F650GS - Stator Issues

Postby willtdc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:46 pm

I'm the third owner of a 2009 F650GS. In 2014, I took her into the dealer after she died on a trip back from Michigan to DC. They said I needed a new stator, which is pretty expensive because they make you buy the whole encasing and part. I've read on ADVRider, that there is a work-around however and I wanted to know if there's anyone on this forum that has successfully made this replacement and has a guide on how to do it.

I've never done any work on my bike itself, except taking the battery out to charge it. Is this something that I shouldn't do myself? If not, does anyone have any BMW motorcycle mechanics they can reference near Herndon, VA?

Really anxious to get riding again.

This is where I learned about the common issue - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/a ... ty.706033/

Thanks,
Will
willtdc

Re: 2009 F650GS - Stator Issues

Postby bdimon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:51 pm

I have not changed the stator on a BMW but I have used a great mechanic: George Mangicaro at Beemers Uber Alles in Manassas. If there is any way to save money on the repair, George will know it.

Of course you are close to Motorcycles of Dulles. I have not used them for repairs but they seem eager to prove themselves.

Good luck.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby willtdc » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:07 pm

bdimon wrote:I have not changed the stator on a BMW but I have used a great mechanic: George Mangicaro at Beemers Uber Alles in Manassas. If there is any way to save money on the repair, George will know it.

Of course you are close to Motorcycles of Dulles. I have not used them for repairs but they seem eager to prove themselves.

Good luck.

Thanks! Will check them out!
willtdc

Postby Maria V » Thu May 05, 2016 9:25 am

I pro-actively replaced my stator out of paranoia, and it was due. George took care of it.
No idea of the cost - that receipt is somewhere...but I can confirm it is in George's wheel-house so to speak.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby willtdc » Thu May 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Maria V wrote:I pro-actively replaced my stator out of paranoia, and it was due. George took care of it.
No idea of the cost - that receipt is somewhere...but I can confirm it is in George's wheel-house so to speak.

That would be great if you come across the receipt! Thank you!
willtdc

Postby willtdc » Mon May 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Maria V wrote:I pro-actively replaced my stator out of paranoia, and it was due. George took care of it.

Hi Maria - can you tell me if you had your stator replaced with the $937 dollar part from BMW (not including labor) or with work around that I mentioned in the original post.

Thanks!

-Will
willtdc

Return to Tech