Dash board Oil indicator (volume or temp)

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Dash board Oil indicator (volume or temp)

Postby VANikonShooter » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:26 am

Hey all -

Recently did a 800 Mi RT out the the Gauley River area, WVA.

Upon departure inspection to return home observed low oil in window. Below half.

dash LCD indicator displayed low bars(1or2 rather than usual 5 or 6.

Need clarification bc at top of LCD is a thermometer icon which I took to mean the gauge was a thermometer rather than a level indicator.

Appreciate an explanation about engine oil level sensor function and function of LCD gauge?

Thx
VANikonshooter
R1150 GSA
VANikonShooter

Re: Dash board Oil indicator (volume or temp)

Postby ERC Scott » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:20 am

I don't think you have an oil level indicator on your bike -- oil temp, yes.

Was your oil nice and hot when you eyeballed the window? Did you let the oil drain into the sump?

Boxer engines are notoriously susceptible to over-filling the sump because using the sight window indicator to get an accurate reading requires you to use a consistent process. I use the "hot five" process.

Here's what I do to check level:

1. Measure when oil is hot after a ride - oil expands when hot. Cold oil gives a "false" reading (there are work-arounds to account for the cold oil).
2. Park bike on the side stand for a few (five) minutes to allow oil to drain down from the coolers to oil sump.
3. Put bike on the center stand and observe the oil level. Anywhere between the 2 concentric rings of the sight glass is good.

The new wasser boxers have this oil-check-dance spelled out in the owners manual, probably because hordes of riders with earlier models had overfilled the sump due to thinking the oil was low when the level was fine. If you think you need to add oil, add 250 ml then recheck once up to temp. Adding a whole quart/liter will likely overfill your index.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby VANikonShooter » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:19 am

Hi Eric, Thanks -

* oil was hot (20+ minute warm up)
* oil had a good 30-40 min to drain to sump while I breakfasted
* viewed window as bike was on center stand on level pavement

Yeah. It seems to me the dash LCD is an oil temp gauge as indicated by the thermometer icon up top.

My confusion arises bc when the oil level was actually low (as indicated in window following a good 20 minute warm up) the LCD registered what would be a lower temp - lower bars.

This seems more than a little incongruent. I should think: If lower oil volume, then warmer temp if any change at all.
LCD read at normal levels after I added a quart of oil. This is what is confusing me.

I have also noticed since drop of seasonal temps, that the LCD is very slow to display the typical middle of the display reading.
I guess this would make sense if it's a definitely a temp indicator.

Any help on how/where the actual sensor functions/lives would be great. Naturally, concerned about any anomalies.

Thanks,

T
VANikonshooter
R1150 GSA
VANikonShooter

Postby BKling » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Can you further explain your 20+ minute warmup? Riding or just idling?
In cooler temps, fall and winter, it can take a bit to heat things up.

On my 1150, if I could see oil, I was good to go, at least until the next tank of gas, but I rarely worried about it.
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Postby VANikonShooter » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:47 am

Riding - 40-60 mph.

I don't feel too concerned. Just want to know the mechanics.
VANikonshooter
R1150 GSA
VANikonShooter

Return to Tech