Cheap Powder Coat "booth"!

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Cheap Powder Coat "booth"!

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:31 pm

Because I am doing a little custom project that will require a lot of powder coated parts, I purchased a powder coat system from Harbor Freight. It works great. I used a cardboard box to do my first pieces, but it had a lot of blowback from the powder, which went everywhere.

So, with powder everywhere in mind I figured an improved "booth" is in order. To that end I used a very large piece of scrap cardboard and created a box that is 14" X 26" X 12" deep. I used a cheap AC filter (probably need one with a tighter weave) to cut the dust, and am using a box fan to pull the air through the filter.

Scrap steel rods were fit in strategic slits to allow me to position the items where I needed, and to ground the parts.

I can hang or rest parts in several different configurations.

Also, for small parts that need powder all over, I can drop them from the top, ground them, then turn them for coating.

Note the cheap toaster oven behind the box. It works great!

I sealed all the open ends of the cardboard with tape so it will be easy to clean. I expect it will last a while and is dirt cheap. I think I can use it for regular spray paint as well.

Suggestions?

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to Tech