Clutch slave cylinder

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Clutch slave cylinder

Postby dcgsrider » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:37 am

Mine crapped on the way home from work yesterday. I thought the clutch was engaging a little abruptly earlier in the day. After feathering the clutch through stop and go traffic, I pulled it in to downshift. Went all the way to the grip with no resistance. Oh crap... By some miracle I didn't hit any red lights on Arlington Blvd. Once in a while I would develop some pressure with vigorous pumping, and I managed to nurse it home.

This morning, opened the reservoir. Dark fluid, level down a little bit. Then pulled the rear wheel, exhaust pipe, and the rear shock to remove the slave. Sure enough, rusty oily crud around the inside face of the slave cylinder. I rode in that downpour in Saturday, so maybe that was the coup de grace. Pulled the push rod out--it was clean and dry, so no oil reached the clutch. Good news. Parts on order. I wonder what else is going to break... It's been an expensive summer.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Re: Clutch slave cylinder

Postby bdimon » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Nuts, that's bad news. If the oily crud had leaked through the seal into the clutch plate enclosure, I assume you would have had to replace the plates. How many miles on your bike? I'll have to check to see when I should replace the mineral oil in the clutch line. I don't recall seeing a service interval for that.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: Clutch slave cylinder

Postby dcgsrider » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:50 pm

82k miles. Another "lifetime fluid" since the mineral oil is not hygroscopic like brake fluid. They could use a more robust seal on them where it mates to the tranny. Internet scuttlebutt is if you ride a lot in the rain or do water crossings you are more prone to these failures. If you ever pull the rear shock for any reason, it might be worth a look-see. Just two bolts to remove to inspect it. Like I said, pushrod was dry and clean, thank goodness, so no oil contamination on the clutch plate.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Return to Tech