Air Compressor Advice?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Air Compressor Advice?

Postby griffin738 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Hello friends,

I've already gotten a first round of advice from one tech sage but I think we have many sages among us, as well as some parsley, rosemary, and thyme. You know, I think that thyme is under-rated - - where would Morris Day be without it?

My garage is coming along nicely and I want to add an air compressor. In the short term all I think I'll do with it is inflate tires. Down the road it would be nice to be able to power some tools, for example if I need to pull "a Happy Gilmore" on my construction boss.

But to get to the point, my garage has a loft and I'd like to keep the compressor up top and mount a hose reel on the side of a beam. Here is a photo of my garage with the loft visible at the top:

TWO QUESTIONS:
1) should i get a big-guy compressor? Image or a little-wee compressor? Image

2) I know that compressors vibrate more than a coin-op bed in a hotel room that rents by the hour - - but(t) is it reasonable to operate it while its in the loft? I'd think to secure it and have a rubber mat under it. I'd also think to put it on switched power so that it is on only when I want to use it. Reasonable approach?
these roads don't move, you're the one that moves
. . . Image . . . Image . . .
griffin738
Obi-Wan Cabana

Re: Air Compressor Advice?

Postby Unity » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:37 pm

If you can't afford the piston-type compressor and you want an amazing amount of noise, go with the little one.

--John
(Seriously, ear protection is a must.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby adooley » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Also what kind of air tools do you intend to use? Some of the smaller compressors are not rated to handle some of the air tools or handle them for very long. I opted for the larger one in my setup a while back because it held more air and more pressure and, therefore, didn't have to run as much (depending use).
adooley

Postby guitardad » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:49 pm

If you have any intent of eventually doing your own tire changes, get the big boy compressor. I remember Maria coming over to do a rear tire soon after I got my changing stand. With my little compressor, we couldn't seat the bead on the new tire. Ended up calling Phil-Bill and asking him to bring his big compressor over to my house.

Sometimes, it's true - size matters! :mrgreen:

As to the loft, I got nuthin' Except that your garage is as nice as my house!
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Return to Tech