Clearwater light indicator!

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Clearwater light indicator!

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:14 pm

JVB added an LED. If the CANopener is used there isn't an on/off indicator. . .. Very slick install. . ..

I would like to say it was a breeze, but that would be lying! The concept and design was easy, applying it was not so much.

The light:

12 Volt LED with a threaded mount.

Mark the hole and centerpunch it. Make sure you have room on the back side.

Drill the hole, then debur it. I use a larger drill bit on the softer materials.

Test fit the light.

Install the light on the back, and snug down. This was the hard part. Pulling the headlight would have made it easy, but the LED need significant bodywork removed to do it, so we worked around it. We did pull the instruments to make it easier.

Seal the light, and lock the nut on, with shrink tubing. Be careful heating it not to damage the surrounding plastics.

I covered the whole run with wire sheathing to protect it and hide it from view. I tapped the Erica lamp on the left side because it was accessible. You could tap the right if you wanted. I used Positaps because they are the least intrusive. I sealed both ends of the sheathing and sealed them to the Positaps and light as well with shrink tubing.

Night visibility is good from reflection. In daylight you tilt your head a bit and see it fully.

All in all a clean install!

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to Tech