Annual Maintenance Costs?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Annual Maintenance Costs?

Postby VANikonShooter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Hi all -

New member shopping for a second hand bike, that I'll likely only be able to do minimal maintenance on myself.

eg: F650GS, G650GS, R1100GS

Wondering what annual maintenance costs might run.
What the cost of changing a back tire would be for a shaft driven beemer.

A buddy of mine says annual expenses probably 3x that of a japanese bike?

Thanks!
VANikonshooter
R1150 GSA
VANikonShooter

Re: Annual Maintenance Costs?

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:56 pm

It really depends on your bike budget. You can get a decent R1100GS for under $4K if you look around. Maintenance on it is dead simple for anyone with even moderate skills, and costs for maintenance parts are dirt cheap. Club tech days are definitely your friend. In my experience the R1100 is easier and cheaper to maintain than and F or G650, and often cheaper to buy!

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Chiba » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:43 am

Having owned 2 R1100GSes, I second what JVB says. They were easy to work on, and I did some pretty involved stuff on my own without too much difficulty. I did try to save really hard stuff for club tech days when I could get help.

The only thing I ever came across on any of my 1100-gen bikes that was simply beyond me or the usual tech experts among us was a failed ABS module. I paid somebody to fix that and it was worth every penny.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby ERC Scott » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:41 pm

VANikonShooter wrote:A buddy of mine says annual expenses probably 3x that of a japanese bike?

I'm thinking your buddy owes you a beer :lol:

I concur with Wes & Jim above, but I suspect you and your buddy were thinking about costs for a shop to do the work. There is a publication called Motorcycle Consumer News (highly advised) that publishes the total costs of std maintenance for every bike it tests. You can check out MCN on-line for a bike you're interested in, but as a used bike you would have to consider inflation over 10 - 15 yrs. Or, you can extrapolate from recently tested bikes of current models similar to your interests, or you can have me do it for you =D>
Model labor + (parts)
F650 Sertao -- $292 (124)
RnineT --- $344 (275) (actually parts sound high to me in this case)
and for a really nice mid-weight Japanese sport-tourer we have the
Yamaha FJ-09 --- $680 (155)

So maybe the FJ has unique costs? Here's the costs for a couple more Japanese comparable bikes:
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom --- 356 (416)
Honda CBR 650 ABS --- 161 (544)
Yamaha Super Tenere --- 148 (408)

As for a shop changing out a rear tire, it should be a wash.

Your only way of determining shop costs is to ask them for an estimate. We have 3 (soon to be 4) BMW dealerships in the DC area. We also have a couple independent shops specializing in Beemers. They all advertise in our newsletter and support the club by donating door prizes, hosting meetings and giving member discounts. Give them a call. Also, check out our next Tech Day on the 15th. Welcome to the club.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby VANikonShooter » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:25 am

Excellent stuff, guys. Thanks.

I wonder --- where would I look for advisories for recalls or bad manufacturing years?

I'm pretty focused on finding a R1150GS.

Thanks.

Todd
VANikonshooter
R1150 GSA
VANikonShooter

Postby stevebmw » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi Todd,

As an R1150GS owner -- 217,800 miles and counting -- I applaud your goal of getting one. It's a good, solid bike, renowned for its durability and effectiveness at long distance adventure touring. Mine has not been without problems, but the joys and benefits far outweigh the downsides.

The two biggest changes over the run of the R1150GS are the addition of power-assisted brakes for the 2003-2004 model years and the change to dual plugging on the 2004 model. Dual plugging is a good idea, but not everyone likes the power brakes, as they can be a bit touchy to use (especially off-pavement) and are more complex and expensive to maintain.

For recall info, you can check here: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

If you have a particular bike in mind, I can look up the VIN for you in BMW's database (I work at Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg) to see about open recalls and such. If you'd like to chat about them in general, give me a call at Morton's (540-891-9844) and I'll try to help.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Return to Tech