What did you do IN your garage today?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Re: What did you do IN your garage today?

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:44 pm

kjbetz wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:Received a used Jesse Top Case bought from the Flea Market and installed it on the stock NON-Jesse Rack with his home-created plate.

I need to clean up the mount and paint it, then add some reflectivity to the case, but looks good and is solid now.

Jim :cool:

What kind of paint did you use? I have some "wear" on my older Jesse bags on my F650 that I'd like to finish up. It's definitely a rough / matte finish (straight powder coat?) Where I think the newer ones have a clear coat gloss on them.

Anyway, what did you use?

Rustoleum satin gloss.

JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:46 pm

dcgsrider wrote:More of a what (will) do you in your (non-) garage: my winter project is shipping my shock ESA shocks off to the Beemer Shop for the Wilbers rebuild. Having reviewed the procedure, removing and re-installing the front shock looks pretty fiddly.

Not really that bad. Do you have your old shocks to put in place while they are being rebuilt? I have a set from my 05.

Typically about 2 hours to do both.

JimVonBaden

Postby dcgsrider » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:09 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:
dcgsrider wrote:More of a what (will) do you in your (non-) garage: my winter project is shipping my shock ESA shocks off to the Beemer Shop for the Wilbers rebuild. Having reviewed the procedure, removing and re-installing the front shock looks pretty fiddly.

Not really that bad. Do you have your old shocks to put in place while they are being rebuilt? I have a set from my 05.

Typically about 2 hours to do both.

Yeah, I bought a set of low mileage OEM ESA shocks on EBay for an OK price, as either the ESA motor "donor" for the rebuild, or as temporary shocks so I can keep riding. Depending on how lazy I'm feeling, I'll either just send those in or swap them on the bike and send mine. Unsure whether I can find the time to do the removal/installation twice. The front in the bike is original (84 k miles) and the rear has about 50k on it.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:43 pm

Added an Easy Pass to my GS, it was easy. It also disappears when the windshield is in the low position, which it always is.

JimVonBaden

Postby jskene » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:54 am

Looks nice. However, I learned that if you paint your Easy Pass black as I did with mine a few years ago, they will charge you $25 when you turn it in.
jskene
Board Guru

Postby radon222 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:01 am

That's good to know. I guess I I'll plastidip mine instead using regular spray paint.
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:34 pm

jskene wrote:Looks nice. However, I learned that if you paint your Easy Pass black as I did with mine a few years ago, they will charge you $25 when you turn it in.

That is why I used Plastidip. Peals right off.

JimVonBaden

Postby jskene » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:46 pm

I guess I need to buy some Plastidip. :)
jskene
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:43 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:
jskene wrote:Looks nice. However, I learned that if you paint your Easy Pass black as I did with mine a few years ago, they will charge you $25 when you turn it in.

First time I have heard of Plastidip. Looks like it is a spray or a dip. Is it a waterproofing or rugged coating to make the shell tougher? Is it hard to remove?
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:56 am

bdimon wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:

First time I have heard of Plastidip. Looks like it is a spray or a dip. Is it a waterproofing or rugged coating to make the shell tougher? Is it hard to remove?

It is a spray. You spray it on like paint. It is a rubbery coating that sticks well, but peals off easily!

JimVonBaden

Previous

Return to Tech