R1100RT - engine running rough after new clutch

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

R1100RT - engine running rough after new clutch

Postby landofjeremy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Greetings!

Been a while... Still got my 650GS, but have recently acquired a '96 R1100RT. Great bike, no issues outside of a really worn clutch. Following this 2.5 hour youtube video on the topic, we promptly spent about 18 hours performing the work, and we were successful. Now, after the clutch work, the engine runs rough. Backfires and generally unhappy. My father who gave me a hand with the whole process and is pretty competent with engines feels that possibly the bike is delivering too much fuel, and seems to be backfiring from both ends (air box and exhaust.)

What I know:
-- I've verified the throttle cable is properly housed. Some websites made mention that an improperly placed throttle cable could make the thing run poorly. I will be revisiting this to verify the entirety of the cable is good, but we didn't touch it during the job either.
-- I'd installed new spark plugs and returned the original ones with possible a slight improvement.
-- I'd installed a new K&N air filter and returned the old one just in case. Possibly a slight improvement.
-- The above slight improvements could've been the engine getting warmer too.
-- Both injectors are delivering fuel in similar / identical patterns
-- Verified a strong spark on each cylinder.
-- Both cylinders are get warm.
-- Verified that the O2 sensor socket is properly connected. We did have to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust during reassembly in order to get the tail onto the correct side after exhaust reassembly.

What I don't know:
-- After the work was completed, there was a connector that I couldn't find a housing for with the following wires: Brown, Green/white, and yellow (IIRC....). Is above the aux power on the left side of the bike. Aux power and sidestand connectors are attached. Also found a dead, aged bee in the connector-in-question, leading me to believe that it may never have had a proper home?
-- What else to troubleshoot.

Probably heading back out to my father's shop to troubleshoot more tomorrow afternoon. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
JЄrЄϻλ
650GS BLACK

Support freeform radio!
landofjeremy
GO GIANTS!

Re: R1100RT - engine running rough after new clutch

Postby Georgeinva » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:42 am

Check that both throttle bodies are fulling returning. Chances are the left one is not. I know you check the cable at the throttle body but it also need to be checked at the bowden box. Also make sure the throttle pot in plugged in fully.
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Postby landofjeremy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:29 pm

So I fixed it. But I don't know why it has been fixed.

The filler neck water drain, coming out of the gas tank, had fuel in it. I drained that. And at some point after I'd given up hope and was packing up, I started the bike one more time and there were no issues whatsoever. Bike ran great for the hour ride home and started up without issue this morning.

... dunno.

Thanks for the response George.
JЄrЄϻλ
650GS BLACK

Support freeform radio!
landofjeremy
GO GIANTS!

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:54 pm

Odds are George was right. You likely nudged the cable back in while messing with it.
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby grownup » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:00 am

I was thinking thottle bodies also. When you lift the rear to change the clutch, you can pull or pinch throttle cables. Another test for you is at idle turn the steering fully side to side. If it changes rpm, something might have gotten pinched.
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
2016 S1000 XR ( 1 BTC Bike )
grownup

Postby landofjeremy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:12 am

Thanks very much for the replies!
JЄrЄϻλ
650GS BLACK

Support freeform radio!
landofjeremy