top up oil on 2011 R1200GSA

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

top up oil on 2011 R1200GSA

Postby STATMATT » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Question:
My bike gave me the oil light on the way home from work, and I know it has been running lower than usual (oil settling in the lower third of the sight glass.) When I checked it yesterday after coming home from work there was no oil in the sight glass. So I busted out the MOM and checked what a top up should be it said that the line between the low and the high circle should be 1/2 quart. Since I didn't see any oil I measured carefully to put in 1/2 quart. Now when I arrived at work this morning and put the bike on the center stand, the sight glass was now fully submerged.

Has anyone mastered the art of topping up the oil?
What may I have done/interpreted incorrectly?

Now the MOM says to bring it in if it has too much!
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Re: top up oil on 2011 R1200GSA

Postby biometrics » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:54 pm

STATMATT wrote:

Now the MOM says to bring it in if it has too much!

The MOM was obviously written by a dealer!

Simple to just remove the oil filter, dump out the oil in the filter (which should be about half a quart), clean up the filter, and the mounting point an put the filter back on.

Then check your oil after your next engine warm up, after setting on the sidestand for half a hour after your run. Oil low now? then add half as much as you did last time. Always check the oil with the bike in the same orientation, using the same stand, and if possible in the same location. That is the only way to get consistent results.
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Return to Tech