Alternator Belt Install tool

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Alternator Belt Install tool

Postby Janitor » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Completed the 36k service on my 2009 R1200GS today and all went well. Replaced the alternator belt, the old one looked fine but the feel of it was much less pliable than the new one. Glad I replaced it.
Before I attempted this job I watched quite a few videos on how to do it and read a few stories, most seemed to have some difficulty. So I purchased the BMW belt install tool. The belt was on in under a minute, super easy.
Anyway, I now have this cool tool and if anybody in the club needs to replace the alternator belt on their R1200, you are welcome to use it. Just send a message to me. Any tech days that I may attend, I will bring it along.

Ride well,
G.
2021 CB500X
Janitor
Undercover Logger

Re: Alternator Belt Install tool

Postby Chiba » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:15 am

Nothing like using the right tool for the job - usually eliminates difficulty & frustration as you discovered!
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby dcgsrider » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:25 am

Janitor wrote:Before I attempted this job I watched quite a few videos on how to do it and read a few stories, most seemed to have some difficulty. So I purchased the BMW belt install tool. The belt was on in under a minute, super easy.
Anyway, I now have this cool tool and if anybody in the club needs to replace the alternator belt on their R1200, you are welcome to use it. Just send a message to me. Any tech days that I may attend, I will bring it along.

Ride well,
G.

Reluctantly raises hand. I need to do the alternator belt on mine. JVB uses a piece of a license plate backer to walk the belt on and off. This special tool looks like it makes the job a snap.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 253&page=3
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby Janitor » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:24 pm

dcgsrider wrote:
Janitor wrote:Before I attempted this job I watched quite a few videos on how to do it and read a few stories, most seemed to have some difficulty. So I purchased the BMW belt install tool. The belt was on in under a minute, super easy.

Ride well,
G.

Reluctantly raises hand. I need to do the alternator belt on mine. JVB uses a piece of a license plate backer to walk the belt on and off. This special tool looks like it makes the job a snap.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 253&page=3

Yup, that's the tool. Works like a champ, cause that belt is an exact fit. I used a nylon strap to remove the old belt, which pulled right off.
We could always do a mini tech-day and have it done in short order. Just have to pull 2 spark plugs ( I have the BMW spark plug tool also), remove the belt cover (5 screws) and the belt is there. I did have to remove an engine guard brace (SW Motech) that was in front of the plastic cover, but it was only held on by 2 bolts.
2021 CB500X
Janitor
Undercover Logger

Postby Mikepotter86 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:51 pm

I need to do this (72k) soon, I will definitely be hitting you up!
1972 R75/5
1981 R100 RT
2008 R1200 GS
Mikepotter86
Frequent Poster

Postby Janitor » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:03 pm

Mikepotter86 wrote:I need to do this (72k) soon, I will definitely be hitting you up!

Roger that.
2021 CB500X
Janitor
Undercover Logger

Postby IAMBOB » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:24 pm

12" crescent does an awesome job installing the belt.. the jaws are big enough to retain the belt on the pulley as you turn it and seat the remainder of the belt.

A pair of cutters work great for removal.. and kind of like burning the boats, now you have no choice but to get the new belt on.
2009 R1200RT (Da Wasp)
2002 R1150RS SILVIA (sold)
2006 John Deere 2305
IAMBOB
Board Wizard

Return to Tech