Symptoms of bad side stand switch?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Symptoms of bad side stand switch?

Postby dcgsrider » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:15 am

Bike died on me twice on the way to work today. Both at low speed, inching along in traffic on 395, in first gear. It doesn't feel like it was "pilot error", i.e., stalling due to inept clutch use. It just quits.

Anyway, the kicker is I pull in the clutch, and hit the starter button. Nothing. Cycle kill switch. Nothing. Cycle key. Nothing. I drift off to the shoulder. Side stand down and back up. Cycle key, and it fires right up. I suspect my side stand switch has a fault. Thoughts?

This has happened a few times before, but today I finally noticed the "pattern" of side stand involvement and what it takes to "clear" the error in order to re-start. If the bike "thinks" the side stand is suddenly down when I'm moving the computer will kill the engine. Fortunately, it's never happened at speed--say in a corner or some other place of high inconvenience--and I've been able to get out of traffic. No :oops: (yet.)
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Re: Symptoms of bad side stand switch?

Postby Chiba » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Could be the connector's gotten dirty or started to come apart.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Re: Symptoms of bad side stand switch?

Postby Anton » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:56 am

Next time it happens, leave the side stand alone but find neutral. If the bike starts, I'd say the side stand is a likely culprit.

A GS=911 may be able to give you some info also . The side stand has two circuits in it and one may be bad.
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Return to Tech